Honduras: My 2011 Medical Mission

Guest Bronker

Guest Bronker

Guys,

I felt led this morning to share with you, a new adventure that I'm heading for in just a few hours.

After months of logistical planning, a group of 32 physicians, nurses, optometrists and dentists are heading to a mission camp in Choluteca, Honduras for a week of patient care. Here is a brief summary of what the week will entail, taken from an informative letter that is sent out to folks:

"We will travel each day to set up a clinic in the village of Duyure. This group last year provided medical,

dental, and eye care to over 1200 Hondurans who do not have access to these services. Some

Hondurans will walk five hours just to bring their children to the clinic.

Honduras is one of the poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere. Two thirds of the population

lives in extreme poverty. One fourth of all children under the age of five suffers from malnutrition. I will

be working with Mission Lazarus in San Marcos. Mission Lazarus has been in this area for ten years

serving those that need it most."

It is anticipated that we will see upwards of 1,500 patients this week. I'm told to be prepared to encounter just about anything, and be prepared to do about everything. This clinic has done everything from common colds to hand amputations to appendectomies...all in a tent. I've delivered a baby before, but never done an appendectomy! How hard can it be, right?:shrug:

Anyway, if you are a praying type, your prayers are appreciated. This mission is about caring for people, but also is a chance to share the message of Christ Jesus.

If nothing else, keep us in mind. I'll post some pics when I get home, Lord willing.

You may read more about this effort at Mission Lazarus: Enriching Mind, Body & Soul - Home and more specifically at Welcome to CMI Medical Missions

Thanks amigos!

El Bronquer:p

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there in 2009 building an orphanage house at Rancho Ebenezer 2 hours outside of Tagusa Galpa. We went into the city one day to put a concrete floor in a house with just dirt. It was in partnership with a medical team. I learned magic and juggling years ago for mission trip. The kids love any attention you will give them. This will draw a crowd and give an excellent opportunity to deliver the Gospel. The people are as friendly as any place I have been. The people just want to be around Americans and have a ready ear to hear what you have to say. Not sure if this is your first trip, but be ready for an inward change as much as anything. I have changed the focus of my trips to Haiti in recent years, but hope to get back to Honduras one day.

Guest Bronker
I was there in 2009 building an orphanage house at Rancho Ebenezer 2 hours outside of Tagusa Galpa. We went into the city one day to put a concrete floor in a house with just dirt. It was in partnership with a medical team. I learned magic and juggling years ago for mission trip. The kids love any attention you will give them. This will draw a crowd and give an excellent opportunity to deliver the Gospel. The people are as friendly as any place I have been. The people just want to be around Americans and have a ready ear to hear what you have to say. Not sure if this is your first trip, but be ready for an inward change as much as anything. I have changed the focus of my trips to Haiti in recent years, but hope to get back to Honduras one day.

Awesome, man.

This is my first medical mission outside of the U.S. I have spent a few weeks in Guatemala (not on a med mission), but this will be my first trip to Honduras for any reason.

I'm going with the Honduras team, but this group has a team that goes to Haiti several times a year. I might would like to try Haiti next year.

Awesome, man.This is my first medical mission outside of the U.S. I have spent a few weeks in Guatemala (not on a med mission), but this will be my first trip to Honduras for any reason.I'm going with the Honduras team, but this group has a team that goes to Haiti several times a year. I might would like to try Haiti next year.
I'll be leading a team to Haiti in either January or February. I'll keep you posted if you want to join us.

Dude....I've been there!! Well, passed through it on the way to another location. I lived there for three months back in 1989! We built the improved air strip which you can still see on google maps here 13.44155,-87.46027. I reckon your going to be about 45 miles east of where I was. I can tell you the need was there back in 89 so I'm sure it has a ton of needs now. It was so bad back then that when we were closing down the camp and burning MRE boxes in a pit we had dug that a local child crawled through the fence and jumped in the pit thinking we were burning food. We had to transport the child via blackhawk helicopter to Tegucigalpa for severe burns to her feet.

Your needed down there and the odds of you being in an area and traveling the same roads I have once again amazes me.

Vaya con Dios Bronk. I wish I were half the amazing man you are.

Oh, are you taking any items with you for distribution? Clothes, used or new sports equipment. Crap, are you gone already? I read this to fast.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=13.44155,-87.46027&daddr=Choluteca,+Honduras&hl=en&ll=13.390622,-87.341309&spn=0.223438,0.362206&sll=13.413499,-87.454433&sspn=0.111709,0.181103&geocode=%3BFYAvygAdb1DO-ikVaWxKLQ9wjzFlu1W6enqEWA&mra=ls&t=h&z=12

Guest db99wj
I'll be leading a team to Haiti in either January or February. I'll keep you posted if you want to join us.

Awesome Bronker!

I have a good friend who is a dentist and my dentist, that goes to Haiti a couple of times a year, with a group out of Jackson TN in conjunction with a team from Nashville.

I also run in a race every October here in Memphis with Holy Spirit Church called the 24 Hour Tour D'Espirt that raises money for a medical mission to Haiti. A Dr. Gordon Kraus has been a primary guy in that one for years, my wife worked for him in the past.

How You Can Help Haiti Medical Missions of Memphis

• 3 weeks later...