Would you pull the trigger? CATS

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there was a thread about this once before, but it was about a dog, a family dog, putting it down. I forget the laws, but the law was kind of against it. Said that the only time you could shoot a domesticated animal was in defense of livestock.

However, feral cats aren't exactly domesticated, and if they are a danger to your domesticated animals, or your live stock. I am sure you are perfectly legal to deal with the problems however you see fit.

It is a legally grey area though, and I would be wary of posting on a public forum about what you would do, other than call the ASPCA and have them removed...

I have a cat and my gf has 3 "dogs"....I prefer the cat...he is smarter and if worse comes to worse...well....I know he could handle himself...just call the ASPCA...its the humane thing to do...if you do decide to shoot them at least use something painless like a 9....no pellets...and no weak 22's...thats just cruel. If someone ever gets the chance to put me in the ground I would hope they would have the decency to not let me bleed out and suffer.

I wouldn't keep feeding them. a wild cat is a killing, eating machine. Even most housecats are also if they haven't been de clawed and kept indoors there whole life. We have several running around here and they are fairing pretty dang good. One likes to hunt close to a neighbors bird feeder LOL a smart putty tat.

Guest db99wj

I think one sprayed the front of my Jeep, the AC smelled funny this morning. The ones in our N'hood spray our car wheels typically, our carports, my neighbors baby stroller, etc. I hate them. Cats are somewhat evil. I caught one cat spraying the front of my Jeep not too long ago, and I hit the Alarm button, scared the crap of it. Wish it would have jumped up, hit its head, and died.

The trouble when you live in or near a residential area is identifying the cats. Hard to tell house pets from abandoned house pets from sick domestic animals from true feral animals. The risk of dispatching animals permanently in a residential area is that they might be pets, and you could be fined or sued for doing it. Animal control can scan the animals for microchips and return them to their owners, or put them up for adoption for at least a few days before legally disposing of them. Doesn't cost you anything and takes the liability off you, and saves your ammo for other target practice.

I once had a similar problem with cats digging out our flower beds, walking on our cars, or fighting our small dog. Trouble is I had no way to know who owned the cats, and it was impossible to follow them around until they went home. So I got a live trap and caught a few of the worst offenders. They had no tags or collars but looked reasonably healthy and were somewhat clean so I assumed they were house pets. I stopped by the post office and picked up a few of those small clear plastic address label pouches which have adhesive on the back. Cut them down just large enough to hold a small note. Inserted a note to the cat owner, instructing them to keep their cats indoors from now on or they would be impounded by animal control, then if they showed up again they would disappear. It was easy and painless to attach the note to the cat, and could be removed without harming the cat although I am sure the owner got a few scratches in the process. Or in some cases I would apply a few liberal drops of skunk scent and release the cat. Not one of those cats ever showed up again so the notes and scented drops were apparently effective.

For the cats which appeared to be hurt, diseased, or possibly feral I just trapped them and had animal control pick them up at their leisure. My grandfather lived in the wilderness, however, with no residential areas around for many miles. When cats showed up around his cabin they were always feral. He ignored them until they killed some of the wild birds and rabbits which he had trained to eat from his hands. That was when he taught me how to use a .410 and eventually a 20 gauge. Never had a problem with those wild cats after that.