Finally Retired From the Military

Well after almost 21 years of service, I finally retired. Cleared the base friday and received my retired ID card in exchange for my regular ID card. Retirement date is effective 01 Aug 2011.

I went in when I was 17 into the army back in 1988. Did four years at Ft. Campbell as infantry with the 187th Infantry then my first guard unit after I ETS'd was the one I just retired from, the 118th Security Forces Squadron, 118th Airlift Wing.

Been several states, units, and branches since then, but it's done now. Really strange to be not only retired at 40, but also to not be in the military after spending your entire adult life in the service.

Now off to Florida to be a kept man...lol.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Keinengel

Congratulations! Enjoy your pension and sit back and let us young(er) folk handle it from here.:no1: Thank you for your long service! :)

Congrats! I retired from active duty in 1993 after a little over 20 years. Couple more years and I will be retired as long as I was in, lol. Still not used to it. Still have trouble deciding what to wear each morning. Still not used to the way civilians think, or seem not to.

Edited by barewoolf

Glad to hear you made it out relatively :) unscathed.

Make sure you file your claim with the VA for anything and everything you were ever treated for while in the military, even if it is all better now. It is easier to have a 0% rating increased than trying to prove service connection later on. Also, if you have anything come up within either the first 6 months or the first year (can't remember exactly) after exit is is assumed it is service connected as well. And if anything service connected causes other injuries then those secondary injusries become service connected as well.

Even if you only receive an offset becasue you are retiring there are several programs that help you once you become service connected. They do have some programs that pay you in addition to your retirement as well. Look up CRSC to see if you qualify.

One thing you will be service connected for is tinnitus. I have yet to meet a service member that doesn't have the ringing in their ears. It is almost like standing under really strong fluorescent lights. It is worth 10% and verification is nothing more than answering the question "Do your ears ring?" with the word "yes".

It was hard on me for the first 5 or 6 years of civillian life mostly because my exit wasn't expected. I still miss it today but am glad I am no longer in. I was discharged after 10 years because of some injuries that kept me from staying in.

If you have any questions about the VA system please ask. I have been battling with them for 12 years now trying to get what I think I deserve. I have the current CFR that covers how the VA operates and makes its decisions. It makes it easier to beat them when you know the rules they use.

38 CFR Ch. I (7-1-08 Edition)

Here is the msot current version I can find online. I have read through it a few times preparing some of my appeals.

Dolomite

Guest mustangdave
Congrats! I retired from active duty in 1993 after a little over 20 years. Couple more years and I will be retired as long as I was in, lol. Still not used to it. Still have trouble deciding what to wear each morning. Still not used to the way civilians think, or seem not to.

Seems to be a malody we all suffer and share...but I still find myself at the base barbershop at least once a month for my haircut...tried to let it grow out...but it just looked sloppy.

Congratulations on your retirement. I hope it is all you hope it to be. An many thanks for your service.

Please don't forget us here when the big move takes place. After all, the internet does reach into the Florida retirement communities doesn't it?

I should be moving down there in the next two weeks. My wife has been there since Feb and she has a nice .gov job so I can take it easy for a bit. Already have some applications filled out for some LE jobs down there so hopefully something will come through. Also have to transfer my FFL stuff there and find a place there to run my business part-time too.

Guest razorblade

As a father with a son in the Security Forces in Knoxville, I really appreciate your service and sacrifice. Enjoy your retirement.

Guest justluck

Congratulations and thanks for your service. After 21 years, I can see why it would seem somewhat of a shock at first. When I processed out in Oakland, CA in 1966 after just two years in service, I was suddenly faced with the task of finding (all on my own) a way across the bay to San Francisco so that I could catch a plane and fly home. Kind of funny and a bit of an adjustment but I made it.