"Homemade" sight pusher

Is there a front and rear multi pistol sight pusher that actually works and will move Kimber, XD and Sig sights? Here is my solution.

I used to just use a punch and hammer on the carpeted floor.

Then I got a BJ Machine P500 multitool. I stripped the threads on the gadget that pushes the sight and after recutting the threads with a tap and die set it still doesn't work right and never quite did anyway on hard to move sights

On the "Homemade" Multi Gun Sight Tool system I cut some Kydex protector pads, used the drill press vice and a decent tapping hammer and brass punches. This locks the slide in due to the lip that sits over the slide rail. I have a Kydex pad on three faces of the slide! Faster, cheaper, not quite so portable as a MGW but it works.

HarringtonMultiGunSightTool.jpg

SighttoolReady.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gunrunner32,

Just yesterday I was looking at the Kaiser you mentioned, trying to figure out how to do this sight "thing" effectively without ruining a gun. I don't change sights for anyone but me. The guns I have are all shooting guns, and I have I have little regard for how they look in general, but I don't want to break anything or skin a slide up so bad it just looks stupid. Every sight pusher review had enough bad reviews to make me relook at how to improve my method of laying the slide on the carpet and hammering away at it - that method worked but is not very effective in slightly moving a sight in the dovetail for fine tuning. Seeing as I shoot Glocks for the most part, I just may get a MGW for Glocks so I can fine tune sights at the range. I think my drill press vice method will work pretty well for the 1911, Stars and the box of .22 pistols.

Brass hammer makes sense too - I'll get one. I can see where it would work nice with brass punches

Guest Lester Weevils

I like your Kydex inserts and machinists vise.

I'm too doofus to do much pistol work but once pounded sights holding the slide with a nylon-jaw panavise and didn't hurt the slide though was pounding so hard was afraid I'd break the vise. The actual vise is steel, only the jaw inserts are nylon.

Guess it wouldn't be too difficult to make nylon inserts for any vise that can take replaceable jaw inserts? Maybe nylon inserts are commonly available to buy. Dunno.

Guest GunTroll

The thing about pounding away at the new,fancy, and expensive tritium type sights with the old tried and true hammer/punch method is that it is said they can rupture. Might have to call the EPA, ATF, NRC, etc if that happens.

The sight pusher has limited the possibility of busting the bubble. But not as of yet seen a sight pusher that does not leave some type of marring blemish to the sight its self. Brass is good because it can be "scrubbed" off.

If it works, it works I say. Nice job!

Sights on the XD/XDm are extremely tight. Most sight pushers won't do the job. As others stated, banging

with hammer & punch can damage tritium sights.

I bought my Xdm at The Armory in Lebanon. It had standard sights, I had Trijicons installed on it. Matt

installed them with a pusher he said cost $300 bucks. Anyway it worked.

Guest GunTroll

Yeah XD's are the tightest out there I have found. I even had a dedicated XD sight pusher that in small print said not recommended for factory installed sights! What a waste of $ . For factory installed XD's I pull out the sledge and cold chisel :) . And for re-install I I fit and slide with considerably less effort than the removal.