Bring your popcorn.... TR goodness in this thread.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to reiterate, you never leave anyone behind. Because Yeager wasn't able to get moving that meant the rest of the detail wasn't able to either. His actions at a bare minimum meant those who were wounded and eventually bleed out didn't receive medical treatment as fast. That may or may not have been a factor in their eventual deaths but having to wait for serious medical treatment for minutes or 10's of minutes is almost certainly a death sentence when there is femoral bleed.

His actions speek volumes both during the incident, prior to it as well as his actions up to today.

Dolomite

Guest Plainsman
Dolomite:

Where do you recommend that a civilian train?

I wondered when you were going to chime in on this after seeing your well written AAR noting many positives of TR. In your perspective, how does the training you've received at TR compare to others?

I do not have a dog in this fight. I actually plan on taking the fighting pistol class largely based on Red's AAR. I do think the TR refund policy is lame but it is his business and he can run it anyway he wants. You can not please everyone. There are other options tho.

July 30-31, 2011 - Defensive Pistol Skills - Chattanooga, TN

August 6, 2011 - Vehicle Gunfighting Fundamentals - Cookeville, TN

August 13-14, 2011 - Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting - Louisville, KY

You can also go to 2011 Training Schedule he is offering multiple courses in NC in sept & nov

Critical Incident Strategies - Advanced Concealed Carry I dont know anything about these guys but this is right in my backyard.

This is what I came up with in about 3 minutes so I am sure there are lots of others(excluding buford). There are plenty of options for good training whichever you choose it is important to just go get some training.

Edited by Urse

I would try to find a training facility that doesn't have a lot of drama. Also, look at the numbers. If they are training 300+ students a week how can they honestly provide the needed one on one most people are needing when they are starting out. In all the training I was involved in, even advanced stuff, there were no more than 10 students per instructor and generally a lot less.

Also, do a little research into the instructors and never rely on what is posted on the training facility's website. It is easy for them to put whatever they want on the website to entice people to come to that particular facility over their competition. It is easy to do a google search and get a "feel" for the facility. If anything feels wrong then don't waste your money.

I am not going to recommend any one facility over another. They all have their different clients they cater to, some you will like while others you may hate. With that being said those I like may not be for you and the ones you like may not be for me. I will say I have never paid for a single course because they were all provided as part of my train up for work. I have been trained by several different companies, everything from hand to hand to firearms techniques. Then after that I practiced and maintained those skills on a near daily basis. At the end of the training day I would stand in my room practicing everything I had learned that day for hours.

For anyone who knows me they know I shoot often, generally 3-5 times a week. I also run drills but am now limited because of my accident. I was out a few days ago practicing drawing and firing with crutches because they are part of my daily life now. That is going to make it into my training regiment as well. These skills are very perishable and when I do not shoot for a few weeks I see a difference in my abilities. Some poeple have a knack for it, I do not and have to work at it.

Something I will say is buy some of the Magpul Dynamic videos. Most of the critical training can be done in your living room or in your yard without firing a single shot. Muscle memory is the key to anything so the more you do something the easier it will be to do under stress. I have practiced mag changes as well as practiced drawing my EDC gun while watching television.

And finally remember slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Don't expect to start out going 100 miles and hour, slowly build up to your top speed but above all else make sure you are doing it correctly.

Dolomite

I wondered when you were going to chime in on this after seeing your well written AAR noting many positives of TR. In your perspective, how does the training you've received at TR compare to others?

I've been to Camden three times, and I took my then 13-year-old son once. In all three classes, Jay Gibson was the lead instructor. In every class, I felt safe and I learned a lot.

I've trained with other outfits, some of which also have controversy and some of which don't. In every training environment, I have been able to learn something, compete with myself for improvement, and there were things I didn't like or find particularly applicable to my situation.

So far, I haven't found anyone with "The Secret Sauce." In my experience, about 90% of this stuff is well-settled. You put the thing in the thing and pull the thing, point it at the bad guy and make it go bang. It's the 10% that people get all fluffed up about. I've heard one bunch harsh on another and all that. In the end, I like spending time with gun guys who know stuff that I want to know.

I'll go back to Camden, and I'll train with those other outfits, too, and I'll keep going to new places as well. Gun guys are, by and large, brothers and that which binds us outweighs by a lot that which separates us. At least, that's how I look at it.

Gun guys are, by and large, brothers and that which binds us outweighs by a lot that which separates us. At least, that's how I look at it.

+100

Well said! I think I am gonna make that my new signature line!

Edited by Urse