1911 talk, I'm new to them so introduce me...

ls3_kid

I have always wanted a 1911 and blah blah blah I will be purchasing one in 2 or 3 months. What I want out of the 1911 (full size .45acp) is a fun gun to shoot at targets, home, and self defense (I will be carrying it some). I really really want a Kimber Grand Raptor II but is it worth all of the money? I have also looked at the Springfield Range Officer and on paper it seems "comparable". I could possible be wrong about this. Another gun I like is the Kimber Desert Warrior, I haven't researched it much but it looks cool (noob mistake?). So overall I am all over the place and have no idea of where to start. Is buying a regular Colt a bad decision meaning would I rather spend the extra money for a Kimber, Dan Wession, or something of that nature?

Sorry this is so vague I am just looking for insight and a starting place I guess. I have shot a few 1911's Colt, S&W, Dan Wesson, and Tarus...

Thanks

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nicemac

I have a Kimber Pro Carry II. I had a glitch with the extractor. I bought the tool(s) to tune the extractor and have not had a problem with the gun since. Best shooting handgun (excluding .22s) I have ever shot. Some clothes require the snubbie and I still like my M&P, but my Kimber is my favorite.

Personally, when talking about production guns, I'd stick with Springfield or S&W...or a used Series 1 Kimber. Recent production Kimbers seem to have gone downhill.

Plus, if you do have a problem with a SA or S&W, they both have excellent customer service.

Personally, when talking about production guns, I'd stick with Springfield or S&W...or a used Series 1 Kimber. Recent production Kimbers seem to have gone downhill.

Plus, if you do have a problem with a SA or S&W, they both have excellent customer service.

This is very good advice. Start with a good solid production model. Get the high-end big names when you have more experience with the 1911 in gerneral and can tell more about what you do and don't want on your next one.

I like the kimber out of the box, they look nice, have good accuracy and trigger, and are a nice plinker. I am not sure I would get one for carry, as I have heard (but not experienced) of some reliability issues, this is something you should research carefully if you plan to carry it.

About all I will say here is to beware of the cosmetic appeal. In between the bargain stuff (which, by and large, are great range guns and most are fine for carry as well) and the top dollar custom stuff, there are a lot of brands that have little more than the cheap ones apart from very nice looking exteriors. Its very, very easy to spend $500 + on nothing more than a brand name and fancy grips.

While I won't advise you on what 1911 to get, I will say that you should get some quality mags to go along with whatever you decide. Quality mags can make a world of difference on 1911s.

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II and I haven't had a single problem out of it. The magazines are another story. I have switched to Wilson Combat magazines for carry. I have had several problems feeding out of the Kimber mags and the McCormick mags. The gun runs like a top and has given me no reason to not trust it.

OK so let's say I decide to start with a production model such as Colt, SA, S&W, etc. Are we basically just splitting hairs at this point?

By and large. Some of the colts have lightweight frames, which may or may not appeal to you, my wife's is one of those and the thing has more recoil for sure (still not bad, just more). As a carry gun that may appeal to you. S&W is not known for its 1911s --- they have good reviews, but are sort of the new kid compared to SA and colt.

Don't buy or don't buy a gun because some guy on the Internet doesn't like them. Understand that any production 1911 can have an issue out of the box. Most of which are caused by the magazines. I would go with a company that has great customer service. Springfield is one of those companies, but so is Kimber. Remember that Kimber makes thousands of 1911s every year so the number of complaints on the Internet are gonna be more. The more guns you sell the higher chances of some problems. I have a Kimber Eclipse and love it, carry it every day. But I also have a Springfield TRP which is awesome. For a target shooter/ range gun, I would buy the Springfield Range Officer, just my two cents

Don't buy or don't buy a gun because some guy on the Internet doesn't like them. Understand that any production 1911 can have an issue out of the box. Most of which are caused by the magazines. I would go with a company that has great customer service. Springfield is one of those companies, but so is Kimber. Remember that Kimber makes thousands of 1911s every year so the number of complaints on the Internet are gonna be more. The more guns you sell the higher chances of some problems. I have a Kimber Eclipse and love it, carry it every day. But I also have a Springfield TRP which is awesome. For a target shooter/ range gun, I would buy the Springfield Range Officer, just my two cents

Yeah I know about not just listening to anybody just trying to get more information.

The lifetime warranty and customer service of Springfield Armory would make the Range Officer an excellent choice. I've got 1911s from SA, Colt, Kimber and Wilson Combat, and each of them has performed very well.

The lifetime warranty and customer service of Springfield Armory would make the Range Officer an excellent choice. I've got 1911s from SA, Colt, Kimber and Wilson Combat, and each of them has performed very well.

Would you say you like one best? Best feel, best results, etc? I know a gun is only as good as the person who wields it...

Would you say you like one best? Best feel, best results, etc? I know a gun is only as good as the person who wields it...

Wilson.

I have had two Kimbers, and while they were very nice 1911s (I enjoyed both of them), they aren't in the same league as some of the custom/semi-custom manufacturers. To be fair, they aren't in the same league in price either. You can get a fantastic Kimber or SA 1911 for $1100 - 1400 (used ones even less). The bottom end Wilson, Nighthawk, Ed Brown etc... is going to cost you over $2k.

Are they worth the extra price? That depends on who you ask, and I wouldn't recommend asking it. The bottom line is whatever you buy, enjoy it, and shoot the heck out of it. I wouldn't worry so much about what is best. What is best varies from individual to individual. I don't think you could go wrong with a Kimber or SA. I also have heard some good talk on the new Ruger 1911, and one of the TGO members just bought one of the new Remington 1911s. The best recommendation I could give you is just a reiteration of my first post, get some good mags. I know some of the mags people prefer are Wilson, Chip McCormick, and Tripps Research.

Guest TresOsos

I know I'm new here and I have very few post but I'm a 25 plus years shooter and carrier of 1911's.

So I'll tell you what I think and take it for what its worth.

If your going to spent less than $800 I would seriously consider waiting until the new Ruger SR 1911s get out in volume. If you don't want to wait then get something like a RIA you can play with and learn on, experiment with etc.

If your going to spent $800 to $1200 get a Colt, you can't go wrong, and it will hold its value better than others like Kimber. I will agree with the stay away from Kimber crowd, the pistols they built back in the mid to late 90's were good guns. Today they are trying to be something they aren't, a high end 1911, and they are trying to do it by sacrificing build and parts quality. You Kimber guys that love them great, glad you got a good one.

Now if you are going to spent $1200 to $1600 Springfield TRP, Dan Wessan Valor something along those lines.

Dan Wessons newer production pistols 2010,2011 (made by CZ) are of very high quality for there price point.

Over $1600 then you need to be looking at Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk or a full custom gun.

Are the more expensive 1911s worth it, absolutely, but they are not for everyone.

Personally I tell people I know to buy a standard 5"Colt Government Model, stainless or blue your choice as their first 1911. Shoot the c#%& out of it, tear it apart, learn about it, make mistakes on it, decide if they are for you or not, and if they are then go forward from there.

I have had several Kimbers and never had a reliability or accuracy problem with any of them. I currently still use a 2004 model TLE/RL which was my duty gun with the PD and it was accurate and reliable. I got it on gunbroker for $745 shipped.

The only downside I have ever seen with Kimbers is that their finish is not the best and their factory mags are hit and miss.

If your wanting to dive in with both feet by all means by a Kimber...if your just wanting to get your feet wet then I would look at a Rock Island, Springfield Range Officer, or if you can find one the new Ruger 1911

I have had a few and right now I have a Rock Island Match(not tactical) which is the same thing as the STI Spartan (hand fit frame to slide, 4140 steel frame, "match barrel", "match trigger". Its probably made by a Philipino that gets paid an extra $0.25 per hour lol. I will say that the slide to frame fit is as good/better then any Springfield I have had, on par with my Dan Wesson and Kimbers. Trigger is as good if not better also...very light and crisp. For ~$600 its hard to beat....if you wanna fancy it up get the STI version for a few dollars more.

Guest Larry

If it was me I would get an STI Trojan for the price, customer servise is 100%++++ very accurate, I have had mine for 11 yrs never anything wrong runs 100%, did break a slide stop but they had me one in 3 days no questions asked, that was on the 11th year. It will still shoot xring accuracy from a Ransom rest at 50 yds 10 shot groups with good ammo, feeds anything. I have several friends that got one when I did all are the same.

If you are mechanically inclined get two, a decent one to shoot/carry, pick your poison for around a grand - and then get a "tinkering" one to completely dismantle, experiment with, change/fit parts on etc. You might even think about a Philipino made .38 Super as that tinkering gun. You can convert the .38 Super to 9mm and back again. Lots of fun and some frustration to be had with 1911s. You can experiment with springs, grease and oil too. Even learn some about galling, finishes and especially the most wonderful thing about a 1911 - the trigger. The trigger comes in many varieties in length, geometric shape at finger pad, weight, etc.

I know I'm new here and I have very few post but I'm a 25 plus years shooter and carrier of 1911's.

So I'll tell you what I think and take it for what its worth.

If your going to spent less than $800 I would seriously consider waiting until the new Ruger SR 1911s get out in volume. If you don't want to wait then get something like a RIA you can play with and learn on, experiment with etc.

If your going to spent $800 to $1200 get a Colt, you can't go wrong, and it will hold its value better than others like Kimber. I will agree with the stay away from Kimber crowd, the pistols they built back in the mid to late 90's were good guns. Today they are trying to be something they aren't, a high end 1911, and they are trying to do it by sacrificing build and parts quality. You Kimber guys that love them great, glad you got a good one.

Now if you are going to spent $1200 to $1600 Springfield TRP, Dan Wessan Valor something along those lines.

Dan Wessons newer production pistols 2010,2011 (made by CZ) are of very high quality for there price point.

Over $1600 then you need to be looking at Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk or a full custom gun.

Are the more expensive 1911s worth it, absolutely, but they are not for everyone.

Personally I tell people I know to buy a standard 5"Colt Government Model, stainless or blue your choice as their first 1911. Shoot the c#%& out of it, tear it apart, learn about it, make mistakes on it, decide if they are for you or not, and if they are then go forward from there.

Thanks, it seems to make sense and just for reference I'm in the $1500 and below range.

If you are mechanically inclined get two, a decent one to shoot/carry, pick your poison for around a grand - and then get a "tinkering" one to completely dismantle, experiment with, change/fit parts on etc. You might even think about a Philipino made .38 Super as that tinkering gun. You can convert the .38 Super to 9mm and back again. Lots of fun and some frustration to be had with 1911s. You can experiment with springs, grease and oil too. Even learn some about galling, finishes and especially the most wonderful thing about a 1911 - the trigger. The trigger comes in many varieties in length, geometric shape at finger pad, weight, etc.

I'm pretty handy with taking things apart, figuring them out, and putting them back together. As for buying two I didn't think of that. More options to choose from! lol

There are several 1911s in my house. My S&W is the first 1911 I owned and I've loved it. 100% reliable. It is one of my two carry guns and is Scandium framed. My wife has a Sig 1911 SS and it is also very nice and has had no reliability issues. Those are both around the $800-$900 range. We also picked up an American Tactical FX 45 GI because the quality of it just seemed too good to be true for $499. After putting several hundred rounds down range with it using Wilson Combat Mags, it has been 100% reliable and is a very impressive gun period, money aside.

I really love the look of the kimbers but what has kept me away is the 1 year warranty. That's a personal decision and chances are I may own one in the future anyway. It's just easier for me to go with a company that has a lifetime warranty (Sig, S&W, Springfield and I believe Colt offer these). That has been what's driven my choices.

My best advice is to just take the plunge. Go to the nearest shop with a good selection of 1911's and handle them all. Pick the one with the trigger, grip, slide to frame fit, looks and best looking quality that makes you say *sweeeet*. I doubt you'll end up disappointed. It's possible, but I wouldn't let fear be the ultimate deciding factor. It's more likely that you'll find out you like certain things about various models and will want to take 3 or more of them home. :lol:

Some 1911's that people seem to be very happy with overall are: (In no particular order)

Colt XSE

S&W ES, PD

Springfield TRP, Range Officer, Champion

Kimber CDP

Dan Wesson CCO, Valor

I would feel comfortable recommending any of these to you.

Edited by tt0511
grammar