What is this?

C.lunn

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great actions. A lot of people used to build rifles chambered for wildcat rounds from them. They are getting hard to find. If you look on the top of the receiver, you should be able to find a mum (it's a flower). If the mum is intact, the rifle could be worth some money. But after the war was over the U.S. Military took a lot of the captured and turned in rifles and ground the mums off. A ground off mum lessens the value of the rifle. It is a collector's piece though.

The thing that is ground off is the chrysanthumum (sp?) which was the emperors symbol. Many japanese ground them off or defaced them before turn in to the allies, as well as the allies defacing them also.

As far as ammo, I though Privi Partizan was making them. Not sure.

Mum was ground off.:) but the markings show its a type 99. I want to shoot it now lol, but the only person making ammo for it is Norma and at $40 a box for 20 rds it maybe a 1 time thing.
Probably can reload for it for less than 50 cents a round. Not sure what caliber it is but rifles from that era you can often make working brass from a similar, common caliber too. Did you try prvi partisan (spelling?) --- they make a lot of hard to find caliber ammo and I think they supply some brass as well. --Edit looks like you can make ammo from 30-06 cases and 303 british slugs. I use a copper tube cutter (a plumbing device) to cut 30-06 cases down for a similar cartridge (7.65). Its tedious, but after you have a stash of 50 or so cases you can just keep reusing them for quite a while, 50 cases can mean 500-1000 rounds of ammo over time as you reuse them. Edited by Jonnin

Not an expert but don't some old guns have the internal mag well jacked out so the gun will accept stripper clips or something similar? This is so far outside my normal areas... I could be (and often am) mighty confused.

I just checked the original picture again and unless it is a shadow it appears the base plate for the magazine well is still in place.

here is a schematic for the rifle and some parts available

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

if you look through there you may well find what you need, i found a floor plate, part number 57.

appears they have paart number 40 the mag well, but you are SOL for the spring.

Cool rifle anyway, you could always single shot it.

May want to have it checked out first though.

Edited by Mike.357