Bank Encourages Open Carry..... Finally some logic

Sorry, could not copy pictures...........not as cool.

Chappell Hill is a small town between Houston and Brenham on Hwy 290.

CHAPPELL HILL Any would-be robbers looking to walk into the bank here had best think twice.There is a new sign in town.

About a month ago, Chappell Hill Bank president Edward Smith looked at a sign on the front door prohibiting concealed weapons from his business and decided to make a policy change. Licensed to carry a handgun? Come on in, and bring your weapon.

The sign, now prominently displayed on the bank's front door, says: "Lawful concealed carry permitted on these premises. Management recognizes the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution as an inalienable right of all citizens. We therefore support and encourage the carrying of licensed concealed weapons." Smith said he made the policy change to send a warning to potential robbers, and also to express support to Americans right to bear arms.

"We had the sign on the window, the red circle with the pistol inside and a line through it.And I started thinking, We've got this no gun sign up and the guy (robber) can come in and do what he wants. But if you've got a policy allowing handguns, he won't know how many people are going to be in here carrying a concealed weapon. There may be some little old lady who's mad at the government, and she'd love to use it" he said.

The bank has been robbed twice in the last three years, including last March when a Western-attired man walked in, ordered bank employees to fill a canvas bag with money and then fled in a pickup truck. The man, who did not brandish a weapon, has not been caught.

The sign has made Chappell Hill Bank and Smith somewhat of an Internet sensation. A photo of the sign has made its way around the world, and Smith has even been interviewed for the National Rifle Association's radio networkhttp://www.nranews.com/#/nranews ;. He's also been contacted by other media outlets wanting to do stories.

"It's kind of gotten a life of its own" he said.

Expressions of support have far outnumbered criticism.

Smith has been contacted by officials from larger banks considering taking similar action, and has received e-mails in support from across the United States and even from England, Canada,and Germany ..

"I haven't gotten any from Chicago or California , which doesn't surprise me", Smith said with a laugh. "We did get a real nice e-mail from an 88-year-old World War II veteran who said it's about time somebody stood up in this country."

The NRA has even invited him to speak at an upcoming convention, but Smith said, "I'm still deciding on that."

Smith said he's only received one negative e-mail, from an anonymous sender.

Edited by HOLEPUNCHER
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to see more banks take similiar action. Right now, the bank I do business with simply does NOT post anything which by law allows me to carry. I don't make a big deal of it, kind of what they don't know or think of, I'm not going to bring it to their attention. A large banking company with a big presence here in Memphis DOES post and has been contacted by several people about it with no success. It is Regions Bank. I don't do business with them.

region headquarters i think is in Alabama and if i understand the law the sign in that state doesnt have teeth like it does in tenn. i dont think the dummies realize all they can do in that state is ask one to leave. i have some funds in regions and am waiting a financial deal if it does or doesnt i am moving from regions too.