My Range Qualifying Target For HCP

Here's the target from my HCP range qualification. Some of the other students were giving me some grief because I brought my .45 instead of a .22 or .38 like everyone else. I told them that I wasn't going to use a .22 for personal defense and this was going to be my carry pistol. They got quiet when they saw me qualify and a few wanted to see what kind of pistol I was using so they could find one. This picture was taken at the shooting range during qualifying. This is 48 rounds out of my Beretta Cougar 8045. As soon as I was done shooting the instructor called a range "cease fire" and took my target down for pictures. I passed top in my class.

001-29.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice shooting. :D Looks like you had only one really anticipated shot, but it still would be an effective hit.

As a side note, I have never figured out why some get nervous about how they are going to shoot when getting their HCP, nor have I figured out where the competition comes from. I have read several threads in which people talk about practicing to get their permit. Practicing for what? I found that the test is very difficult to fail. When I took the class to get my permit, I had never shot a handgun in my life, and I received a perfect score. If I can do it, anyone can.

I was told that if your group is that small, then you are shooting too slowly.

Wow! Some people just look for things to gripe about don't they? I was done before most of the other guys on the line. I shot a group like that because I'm a good shot with my pistol. :)

Edited by luvmyberetta
Guest Plainsman
Wow! Some people just look for things to gripe about don't they? I was done before most of the other guys on the line. I shot a group like that because I'm a good shot with my pistol. :)

Ahhhhh....I believe it was a joke.

Great shooting!

Looks the way it should be. I cant believe they allow a 22.

Really? I can't believe we have to take a test and pay $115 plus class fees to excercise a natural right. I also can't believe that the state figures that being able to shoot a static, paper target translates to being 'qualified' to act in self defense.

Yep, I used my S&W .22A for my class. I am not the world's greatest shot nor did I make one, single hole but I did well enough that the instructor said, "Don't bother counting the holes - you clearly passed." For me, it was about not spending any more $$$ than necessary on ammo for something that shouldn't cost an honest citizen any $$$ in the first place.

That isn't meant to take anything away from luvmyberetta's shooting skills nor is it meant to suggest that he shouldn't have used his .45 if that is what he wanted to do. Hey, my mom qualified with a 9mm and my wife with a snubnosed .357 (loaded with .38s) because they felt more familiar with those (I offered to let each of them use the same .22 I used.) That target is very impressive and I have no problem saying that he is obviously a better shot than me. It just sticks in my craw when someone criticizes someone else's choice of firearm to use for qualifying. Besides, I believe the 'qualifying' part is more intended to make sure that the applicant knows which part of the gun to aim at the target and which part to hold in his/her hand than it is to see who can shoot a hair off of a gnat's ass at 25 yards.

And you know what, to heck with it - I'm not ashamed of my qualifying target although it is nowhere near as 'impressive' as luvmyberetta's. In the end, it got me the exact, same carry permit, after all:

PermitClassTarget.jpg

Edited by JAB
I was told the same thing when I had one jagged hole. Then one of the instructors stood over my shoulder while I was shooting to make sure I shot faster.
Mine looked like it was shot by a drunken pirate.

Ha! You know, though, I bet there have been a lot more people throughout history shot by drunken pirates than by Tennessee HCP holders.