School me on televisions

Looks like ole tube is about to lay down. Its a Hitachi 50" We had for ever and been a great TV. I started to look today and I don't have a clue what to look for. We've got direct tv, tivo, sound surround receiver, dvd. vcr, cd all this stuff hooked up also several sets of speakers hooked looks like some turned over a spaghetti buffett behind it. I don't remember how its even hooked up. Anyway on to the problem what do I need to look For ? I like the square picture but I guess thats a thig of the past. I'm don't have to go the cheapest more best TV for the money. LCD Plasma LED ? Probably want to go hi def although we're not set up for it yet. Any pointers would be helpful ? Technolgy has long passed me by. " My cell phone only makes calls and I have trouble sending txt messages"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto to the last 2 posts...Mine is great(LED-backlit LCD HD)....THE clearest picture I have ever seen on any TV anywhere...Its actually hard for me to watch TV anywhere but at home now.

Edited by titan14
Probably want to go hi def although we're not set up for it yet. Any pointers would be helpful ? Technolgy has long passed me by. "

I don’t think you can buy a TV that’s not HD anymore. Go to BestBuy and check things out.

You will need a HD receiver from DIRECTV. Check out DVR; it will change how you watch TV.

Switching from analog to digital is not cheap, and it’s usually not as simple as buying a new TV.

You will need a HD receiver from DIRECTV. Check out DVR; it will change how you watch TV.

Switching from analog to digital is not cheap, and it’s usually not as simple as buying a new TV.

We've talked about upgrading when this one died, which is near

It started a few weeks ago when you turned it on the screen bounced and went away after a few minutes now its back later in the day.

So I guess its "Goodbye ole friend"

Is it pretty much a given that these TV's are compatible with all these add on components. "that we hardly ever use?" I just dread redoing this mess and want to make sure I get the right type of TV

No, the VCR is gone and the DVD probably is (even the DIRECTV box), depending on what type connections you have.

No, the VCR is gone and the DVD probably is (even the DIRECTV box), depending on what type connections you have.

I run this stuff thru a pretty good sized Yamaha receiver so shoudn't I be able to keep them ? Sorry if these are dumb ?

I run this stuff thru a pretty good sized Yamaha receiver so shoudn't I be able to keep them ? Sorry if these are dumb ?
If it meets all your audio needs, all you need the TV for is a display. You need HD out of your Direct Box; you won’t be happy watching standard TV on an HD set.

I'm no expert, but I've heard that plasma TV's have a great picture, but are notorious for dieing after a couple of years.

You'll definitely want one with a few inputs. HDMI for sure, which it most likely will have, but RCA, and component too depending on your devices. Don't get one if it only has DVI, which only carries video. HDMI carries video and audio. If your reciever does not handle the switching for you, then you'll need to plug each device into it's own port on the tv, so count them up and make sure the TV can connect each device up with the type of connection each device requires. Think about the future too. If you only have a DVD player now, with RCA jacks, you may want to upgrade to a Blueray, which will use HDMI or component, so make sure there are extras.

I upgraded to a switching reciever a year or so and love it. The reciever has more inputs than I can count. Everything plugs into the reciever, adn then there is one connection to the TV. The reciever handles converting my RCA outputs from the DVD player to the HDMI connection that goes to the TV. Makes selecting the device really easy. All I do is hit the button on the reciever/remote for the device I want to use adn it start playing on the TV.

+1 on upgrading to DVR. It is a total game changer on the way you watch TV. You will definitely want the Digital upgrade for DirecTV. Watching low def stations on a hi-def TV will make you wish you had your old tv back. It just looks aweful. Everything gets stretched out and looks wierd. On the other hand, the hi-def signal will look fantastic. You can also pick up hi-def for free over the air now with some very reasonable priced antenna's.

Good luck

Somebody told me vizio from wally world wern't bad TV's for the money

What is your budget for the TV?

What size do you want? What size is the room?

What are the inputs/outputs of your other devices? Do you want to get locked in to trying to be compatible with old technology?

Will you need a new DIRECTV box…? DVD… DVR…??

These are questions you need to know the answers to. You also don’t want to pick Plasma/LED/LCD based on what a bunch of guys on a gun forum say. You need to go look at them.

My 2 cents… The standard lifespan in hours of a flat panel isn’t even an issue anymore. The technology will have changed before your screen dies.

Why do you care if it’s a Plasma, LCD or LED??? I don’t care at all, but so far all the HD TV’s I have picked (five) have been plasma. It looked best to me and that’s all that mattered.

Don’t let them screw you on the cables. Good HDMI cables don’t cost $100.

Panasonic and Samsung are battling it out for the #1 spot in the Plasma market. I choose Panasonic, but you probably can’t go wrong with either.

What is your budget for the TV?

What size do you want? What size is the room?

What are the inputs/outputs of your other devices? Do you want to get locked in to trying to be compatible with old technology?

Will you need a new DIRECTV box…? DVD… DVR…??

These are questions you need to know the answers to. You also don’t want to pick Plasma/LED/LCD based on what a bunch of guys on a gun forum say. You need to go look at them.

My 2 cents… The standard lifespan in hours of a flat panel isn’t even an issue anymore. The technology will have changed before your screen dies.

Why do you care if it’s a Plasma, LCD or LED??? I don’t care at all, but so far all the HD TV’s I have picked (five) have been plasma. It looked best to me and that’s all that mattered.

Don’t let them screw you on the cables. Good HDMI cables don’t cost $100.

Panasonic and Samsung are battling it out for the #1 spot in the Plasma market. I choose Panasonic, but you probably can’t go wrong with either.

I researched everything Dave has stated...again...my final decision...Samsung. Dave's post is pretty much exactly everything you need to consider...excellent post Dave. Ditto on the HDMI cables. The only thing I would disagree with is...Plasma..for some reason, I just dont like the picture.
Guest justluck

You don't have a very high opinion of us, do you? Then, why should he believe you?

Agree that he needs to look at TVs himself and I'm sure that's his intent. My Samsungs are LCD and have great pictures. LED is super, but not that much better to make it worth the extra money to me. The Vizio that I got from Walmart didn't perform well. I'm on cable and the HD channels weren't bad, but the picture on the regular digital channels was really sub-par. Also, the operation/setup features are just not as "smooth" as Samsung, for example. So, I took it back and got my second Samsung (a 32" LCD) for my computer room.

I have an engineering degree and am involved it TV design/manufacture. NO I DON'T!!! I'm just a gun forum nut.

Edited by justluck
You don't have a very high opinion of us, do you? Then, why should he believe you?.......

I'm just a gun forum nut.

This was my first thought...but...I remembered that you can't argue with Mr. Dave...he is "all-knowing"...so....I agreed with him...;)
Guest UberDuper

+1 on the Samsung. They've been making some quality LCDs the last few years.

If gadgets aren't your thing, you'll want to get someone to come help set it up. I'd recommend finding someone that can also do a calibration of the set. Once it's setup, the menu is pretty straight forward.

My Mitsu DLP is about to bite it and I intend to replace it with a Samsung when it goes.

Guest justluck
This was my first thought...but...I remembered that you can't argue with Mr. Dave...he is "all-knowing"...so....I agreed with him...;)

Guess I'm too new to know about Dave. Did I step in something? I did see that he has a lot of posts.