School me on televisions

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consumer Reports which does all kinds of scientifical tests and stuff ranks Vizio 3rd behind Sony & Samsung in the 50"+ LCD market. Plus Vizio is a US based company. The TV's are made in Mexico and China but the company is American. I work for a large pro audio provider and our installs division does everything from Church installs to the Franklin theatre and those guys use predominantly Panasonic and LG and they say the LG's never give them a problem it is the Panasonic that fail.

Thanks for evreybodies advice although it doesn't look like I followed very well. Wife went by sears talked to salesman (no pressure) She had to take me into town later to pick up my truck and went by again with me. This what we ended up getting . We looked at a 60" sharp and some a 55" samsung ended up with this a LG 55" . Really can't tell you reasoning except really didn't want to go to Knoxvillle. Its home and hooked up "kinda" the surround sound works and the picture doesn't bouce

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Guest nicemac
Consumer Reports which does all kinds of scientifical tests and stuff ranks Vizio 3rd behind Sony & Samsung in the 50"+ LCD market. Plus Vizio is a US based company. The TV's are made in Mexico and China but the company is American. I work for a large pro audio provider and our installs division does everything from Church installs to the Franklin theatre and those guys use predominantly Panasonic and LG and they say the LG's never give them a problem it is the Panasonic that fail.

Consumer Reports is a joke. When I worked for Ford they praised one model as a best buy, but gave a different model the worst possible rating, stating that the ignition system was faulty and the car a was unreliable. Part for part, they used identical ignition system components.

I have seen it with several other products that I had intimate knowledge of. They rate the iPhone as the best smartphone, but recommend against buying it because it is possible to hold it in a manner that sometimes cause it to drop calls–just like every other phone that uses a case antenna.

I do not trust their recommendations at all.

Guest Lester Weevils

What appears an interesting side-effect of 1080p is that manufacturers have taken to making almost all computer monitors 1080p as well, presumably because the same display parts can be repurposed to both TV and monitor.

I find it unfortunate because a 16:10 aspect ratio is better for computer use than a 16:9 ratio (1080p aspect ratio). If you need to look at lots of text, 16:9 is a little too short. Actually for my computer use a 4:3 or even square large hires monitor would make more sense, but good luck finding one of those nowadays.

A year ago you could buy 16:10 1920X1200 monitors anyplace. Office supply stores, best buy, sears, whatever. That is a "sweet spot" because it has enough pixels for most stuff, and is about the right size to get dual 24" monitors on a desk without hurting the neck looking back and forth, up and down all day. And the video card requirements to drive dual 24" monitors is not expensive.

A few months ago one of my 24" 1920X1200 monitors quit and I looked high and low in Chatt and nobody had a 1920X1200 monitor. They had completely disappeared in a year. Would have had to order one and I needed it that day. In addition, I prefer to buy monitors from local stores because they are prone to infant mortality failure and it is too much hassle return-shipping something that big.

So every store had all the 1080p 1920 X 1080 monitors I could desire to buy ready to go, at great prices. The low price is good, but not finding the size you want is not good.

Since computer monitors seem to have become slave to the TV market, I guess the future hope of getting something better than 1920X1080 (regardless of size) is to wait til they roll out 2160p LED TV's.

The 16:9 2560X1440 27" monitors are pretty nice, but I haven't seen any at that resolution with LED backlight. The LED backlight is a desirable feature. My old 24" monitors were space heaters, and the new Samsung 24" LED monitor is cool to the touch and brighter than the old ones. Its just a shame can't get LED monitors in the pixel size I want.