Would you trade your favorite polymer pistols....

Links2k

What would you do?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Keep the Glocks
    • Depends on the amount of cash
    • What are you waiting for?
    • Keep saving and purchase new 1911

"But a 1911 is a .45 caliber, that's a man's gun!" you say... Big deal, I can get a Glock in .45 also, and I've seen plenty of 1911's in 9mm "sissy rounds" as well. Besides, I haven't had any volunteers to stand in front of me and let me shoot them with my "sissy rounds" yet.

I've said this many times, and there's no one here with half a brain that can deny my logic. I can't, for whatever less than manly reason, shoot a 45 acp well. I CAN shoot a 9mm fairly well. A 9x19 that hit's center mass beats a 45 that clips an ear ANY DAY. I'm a repented hypocrite, I used to believe 45 or nothing and spouted it a good bit. I was wrong and admit it.

If I was going to be shot at, I'd take someone who can't shoot well using a 500 S&W magnum over say Jerry Miculek with a .22 short. Shot placement. It's what it's all about because you can be wearing the worlds best body armor and if someone pops you in the eye with a .32ACP it's over for you.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can shoot a 45 fine, but I can shoot a 9 much better. It is what I practice with the most due to ammo costs. I agree shot placement is of the utmost importance.

In regards to 1911 vs. whatever, or the 45 vs. 9 argument, I really don't care what other people think. I buy and shoot what I like. In my short time in the firearms community, I have learned two resounding truths.

1. Most people are marksmen.

2. Most people are full of s**t.

In my short time in the firearms community, I have learned two resounding truths.

1. Most people are marksmen.

2. Most people are full of s**t.

I've only been shooting for a few years myself and what I've learned is that I can't shoot at all compared to everyone on the interweb's representation of how they can shoot. What's funny is that when I'm at the range and I look at my targets they are actually better than the majority of the people there. As for the 9mm vs real man calibers: I shoot .40 just as well as 9mm (sometimes better for some reason) when I'm trying make nice groupings. It's when I try speed things up or do double taps that I'm a little better with the 9mm. Since I can't imagine a SD scenario where I would use slow aimed fire, I carry a 9mm most of the time. My other observation is that people get caught up on caliber when platform seems more important. To me nearly any full-size gun is far easier to shoot quickly and accurately than a pocket gun. It's silly to say one caliber is more controllable or better ballistically when the platform is often overlooked. It seems any caliber works better with a longer barrel and issues like the recoil of a .40 or limited capacity of a .45 are really mitigated in bigger guns.

More on topic: I'd keep the Glocks. For me my Glocks are SD tools. And I prefer to spend my ammo dollars and time practicing with them. I can respect the craftsmanship of high-end 1911s but I don't have any urge to own one. If I didn't have other expensive hobbies, and had more ammo funds and more time to spend shooting, I guess I'd like to have one but I'd put it in the same category as a nice revolver. Something that would just be nice to have. For me, and the amount of time I spend shooting however, my Glocks are fun enough for me, and they are cheap to shoot because they all work with whatever ammo I put in them.

Edited by JReedEsq
Guest 556or762
A dozen Glocks are about 6000 grand. :P

so three would be worth about 1500 or there abouts.

I don't think any 1911 is worth 1500 dollars.

Really, have you ever shot a nice 1911 like a Wilson CQB or a Springfield TRP or any Nighthawk, I would give $1500 all day long for any one of those I listed oh wait I already have for two of them. :)

Guest 556or762

I would make that trade if I had 3 polymers that I didnt carry I am down to 2 I dont and one I carry A LOT so I would have to go buy a cheap one and then make the trade. Sweet Im In!

Really, have you ever shot a nice 1911 like a Wilson CQB or a Springfield TRP or any Nighthawk, I would give $1500 all day long for any one of those I listed oh wait I already have for two of them. :)

+1

I have shot and owned the Les Baer TRS and Springfield TRP. There is a noticible difference between the two. They are both very good fighting pistols, but you can tell that a little something extra went in the TRS. They are worth the money to me also, but I carry the Glocks. I willl be putting a few hundred rounds thru my new Sig P229-E2 this week to see if it can bump the G19 as my daily carry.

Guest 270win

Buy what you shoot best. I sold a Glock (though not a bad gun) because I didn't shoot it as well as 1911's, Sigs, and CZ's. The spongy trigger of that gun and even the Smith Wesson M&P for me doesn't work well to precise shooting. It worked well up close but there was something nice about putting a target way back and getting close groups with a 1911, Sig, or CZ with that crisper single action trigger. Double action on the Sig and CZ is smooth like a revolver to me.

Guest WyattEarp
Hey, you left out Ruger, Taurus, Colt, and Walther. :stare:

and intentionally so sir. they are just the "other" handguns i would never carry, along with Glock's and 1911's and any form of revolver. :P

Keep the GLocks because they are relaible and dont have close tollerences . People that have high-end 1911's brag about close tolerences and being so smooth but if you have that , you have a greater chance of dirt and debris clogging and jamming your gun where a gun with less tollerence will just keep working .

Guest TresOsos
Keep the GLocks because they are relaible and dont have close tollerences . People that have high-end 1911's brag about close tolerences and being so smooth but if you have that , you have a greater chance of dirt and debris clogging and jamming your gun where a gun with less tollerence will just keep working .

More myths and misconceptions................................:up:

More myths and misconceptions................................:P

Oh Lawd ,,, a Glock hater ....Just kidding ! Seriously , this is from my own experience . I have carried the same Glock 22 for 14 yrs now at work in the rain , snow , dust and everything else . It has never rusted nor failed . It has been dropped , scratched , and slid across pavement . Been in mud and all kinds of stuff . I just dont see that good of performance and reliability happening to a 1911 if put through the same things . I have a 1911 and I love it , but I just dont think it can stand the same torture and come out as good as the Glock can . Especially the rust resistance . That is just my $.02

Edited by tercel89
info
Guest TresOsos
Oh Lawd ,,, a Glock hater ....Just kidding ! Seriously , this is from my own experience . I have carried the same Glock 22 for 14 yrs now at work in the rain , snow , dust and everything else . It has never rusted nor failed . It has been dropped , scratched , and slid across pavement . Been in mud and all kinds of stuff . I just dont see that good of performance and reliability happening to a 1911 if put through the same things . I have a 1911 and I love it , but I just dont think it can stand the same torture and come out as good as the Glock can . Especially the rust resistance . That is just my $.02

Do you have anything other than conjecture to back up your assumtions.

Perhaps first hand experience with high end 1911s.

Seems to me the bias is on your end.

I would keep my Glocks that is for sure . There is no way I would ever choose a 1911 over a good combat pistol like a Glock . Dont get me wrong , 1911's are great and I have a few but I would always choose a Glock over a 1911 . I dont think a 1911 would ever have reliability as good as a Glock has out in the elements and bad weather .

...I would always choose a Glock over a 1911 . I dont think a 1911 would ever have reliability as good as a Glock has out in the elements and bad weather .
You're right. 100 years of service as a main line combat pistol in every possible climate and environment is no way of testing reliability.:yuck: