Here is the New Wild Hog Regulations

Guest 270win

How do you get one of these federal hog hunting jobs? Sounds like I might need to make a career change!

Seriously though under these new hog hunting regs, can landowners even shoot pigs out of the backs of pickup trucks? It looks like the landowners can at least spotlight them at night with some silly paperwork from the state. This all seems like a lot of hoops to make it hard for people to eliminate a pest animal that isn't even a native game species.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you get one of these federal hog hunting jobs? Sounds like I might need to make a career change!

Seriously though under these new hog hunting regs, can landowners even shoot pigs out of the backs of pickup trucks? It looks like the landowners can at least spotlight them at night with some silly paperwork from the state. This all seems like a lot of hoops to make it hard for people to eliminate a pest animal that isn't even a native game species.

THe paperwork for land owners it not bad, however the back up pick ups part is probably a no.

Edited by vontar
Doesn't the law allow a person to "shoot" from a "stationary" vehicle while hunting on private land? I'll need to look that up, that may be reserved for ATVs.

Hunting From aStationary Vehicle

On private property, hunting while in or on avehicle that cannot be legally licensed to operateon public highways in Tennessee (ORV,ATV) is permitted providing that the vehicleis stationary (engine may be running). Huntingfrom any vehicle, stationary or otherwise,is prohibited from a public road, right-of-way

or on public property, including WMAs.

Guest GunTroll

I'm guessing there will be lots of violators of the wanton waste rules or the "good hunter morals" or whatever you want to call it. It's gonna be hard to pass on a pig that you have in your sights while out deer hunting. I'm guessing on public land this will happen often and possibly out of spite for these regs. Private land too if you don't have the stupid authorization/permit or whatever they require prior to spotting that first hog on your land. I wonder if any effects will be felt at the hunter for hunger freezers?

Yep, thats what I'm thinking.

I was told last year by a participating "Hunter's for the Hungry" proccessor, that USDA regulations prohibits the DONATING of Feral Hogs "sus scrofa". They can butcher them for you, but will not allow them to be donated because of diseases.

Guest BEARMAN
I'm clearly joking. Come on now.

Possum... :yuck: nasty! I'll bring you all of the ones I kill then.

Awww come on guys!...Possum innards and mustard greens.....it's whats for dinner!!! LOL! :rofl:......:yuck:

I'm guessing there will be lots of violators of the wanton waste rules or the "good hunter morals" or whatever you want to call it. It's gonna be hard to pass on a pig that you have in your sights while out deer hunting. I'm guessing on public land this will happen often and possibly out of spite for these regs. Private land too if you don't have the stupid authorization/permit or whatever they require prior to spotting that first hog on your land. I wonder if any effects will be felt at the hunter for hunger freezers?

Yep, thats what I'm thinking.

I rather hope allot of people give the pigs a free pass this year to breed, be fruitful so they can go forth and multiply.

However, I will try to hunt one WMA land and Deer season at the same time, the guide says I can.

However I really want to find a land owner that has a pig problem.

If you are going to go to the trouble of shooting a hog, why not keep it? Or a Squirrel? A deer? Possum? Raccoon??

Maybe because the person doesn't want to get caught transporting the carcass of a legally protected species...oh, sorry...non-game nuisance species targeted for elimination which cannot be legally hunted or killed except under a very limited set of circumstances.

Guest BungieCord

At least they're allowing them to be hunted at night, and with lights on the rifle. But they should also allow the use of night vision scopes.

They also should make changes along the same lines to the coyote hunting regs. It's a mistake to keep treating the 'yotes like a game animal. They're a pest that needs eradicating and the best time to hunt them is when they're hunting: at night. We'll never put a dent in their population so long as they have the exclusive use of darkness.

Pigs are protected species, and may not be taken without special permit. I agree, let them rest and triple in population this coming year. My question is, with the USFWS and TWRA budgets so tight this year, how are they going to eradicate this rare and endangered species known as "sus scrofa"? Only a couple of WMAs are open and private "pig reserves" (10 paying guest per year) by special permit.