One Second After

sigbear

Has anyone read the book One Second After? Did you like it?

For those who haven't heard of it, it's about a EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) in the U.S. It was one of the best books I've ever read about survival after such a realistic & devastating nuclear event.

Sigbear

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone read the book One Second After? Did you like it?

For those who haven't heard of it, it's about a EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) in the U.S. It was one of the best books I've ever read about survival after such a realistic & devastating nuclear event.

Sigbear

It's a great read and I loved it and it scared the crap out of me thinking about the possibilities...whether or not you believe an EMP would cause the kind of catastrophic results you see in the book, it WILL make you think of what could happen in an emergency where things aren't back to normal in a few days.

I also highly recommend "Lights Out"...is was actually written three or four years prior to "One Second After" but only recently published; I'm reading it now and can't put it down.

whether or not you believe an EMP would cause the kind of catastrophic results you see in the book, it WILL make you think of what could happen in an emergency where things aren't back to normal in a few days.

+1 to that.

I've somewhat relaxed a little after reading the book over the winter. I was paranoid for several months worrying about all the different things I needed to gather up. Still got more work to do though, but not obsessing about it now.

Garufa recommended One Second After to me. It was an excellent book. Very scary.

I don't mean to crap on the thread, but since there are like 50 threads on this book, I wanted to make a recommendation on an entirely different subject. Try Vince Flynn's Term Limits. It was written 13 years ago, but you would think it was talking about today. For those that have read it or know the synopsis, I am in no way whatsoever suggesting that type of action is needed to correct the ills in Washington.

The synopsis from Wikipedia states, "Three of Washington's most powerful politicians are executed. The assassins deliver an ultimatum to the American government: set aside partisan politics and restore power to the people. Michael O'Rourke, a former U.S. Marine and now a congressman finds out who they are and why they do it."

It is a great page turner. Best book I have read in a while.

Guest WyattEarp

I will have to check it out. I read a book back in middle school called "fallout", about a kid who lives in England, he's out riding his bike when the nukes start raining down, and him and his brother are the only ones in his family to make it...pretty scary book for a middle school read, I still have it somewhere in my book tote.

In a related vein, I just happened to catch a National Geographic show called "Doomsday Preppers" this afternoon...I recorded it but missed the first nine minutes of an hour show.

It was actually pretty good; examined three families who were prepared for the SHTF scenairo (although each family seemed to have their own personal opinion about what the catastrophe might turn out to be which tended to color how they prepared/what they prepared for) - the show examined each family's preparations and then offered and "expert's" analysis of their plans and offered any advice on what the expert considered weak spots.

Here is a link about the show: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/doomsday-preppers-6202/blog#tab-Videos/10607_00