Wilson County fairgrounds

FWIW they have a gun show in the fair grounds, the same place as the fair, about twice a year. There does not seem to be a problem with guns then. I have been to the fair for the last several years and have always carried and never encountered a problem. However, I always keep it concealed.

FWIW they have a gun show in the fair grounds, the same place as the fair, about twice a year. There does not seem to be a problem with guns then. I have been to the fair for the last several years and have always carried and never encountered a problem. However, I always keep it concealed.

Good enough for me!

I was talking to my dad about this and he was thinking this could be an old sign. There is no gunbuster sign. Only a sign with rules and regulations for the fairgrounds.

"Gun Buster" signs are under 39-17-1359, Parks are to be posted per 39-17-1311. 39-17-1311 specificaly excepts parks from it and says they are controlled under 39-17-1311.

39-17-1311(:D(1)(J)(iii) makes an exception for gun and knife shows when approved when approved by the adiministrator of the property. So the allowing of a gun show doesn't automatically mean carry is allowed by those with a HCP at other times.

I've been to the Fairgrounds several times armed and never saw anything indicating it was illegal. I was always concealed.

Apparently you/we need to be given that county/city "parks" are not required to post at all yet we who carry would be breaking the law by doing so. I've always understood that ignorance of the law is not an excuse but for crying out loud, how is anyone really supposed to know the policy in any given park if there is no requirement to post?

I guess I'm just to uneducated to understand the mindset of our elected officials because I can't understand why this state can't have one simple law about where a person can or can't carry which is; if it's posted, you can't and if it isn't posted you can.

Apparently you/we need to be given that county/city "parks" are not required to post at all yet we who carry would be breaking the law by doing so. I've always understood that ignorance of the law is not an excuse but for crying out loud, how is anyone really supposed to know the policy in any given park if there is no requirement to post?

I guess I'm just to uneducated to understand the mindset of our elected officials because I can't understand why this state can't have one simple law about where a person can or can't carry which is; if it's posted, you can't and if it isn't posted you can.

Robert, you just answered your own question.....too simple. Of course, the really simple solution would

have been never to have dreamed up the opt out clause in the first place. Go figure....

Well, I drove to Lebanon this a.m. and I ran into someone I knew before their joining the Sheriff's Dept. and I asked about the Fair and carrying.

Quote-"Concealed carry is concealed carry....", blink,blink.blink........! Wasn't worried about me but more concerned about the "Yutes" that would be inclined to do stupid stuff.

So,concealed would mean concealed. I would also add that you be careful and SECURE your firearm if you are even thinking about going on any of the amusement rides-don't need anyone here to be in the news if your firearm pops out and lands on someone or some "Yute" picks it up and runs off with it.

. I would also add that you be careful and SECURE your firearm if you are even thinking about going on any of the amusement rides-don't need anyone here to be in the news if your firearm pops out and lands on someone or some "Yute" picks it up and runs off with it.

I will use that excuse to keep from having to ride with the kids! :eek:

Well, I drove to Lebanon this a.m. and I ran into someone I knew before their joining the Sheriff's Dept. and I asked about the Fair and carrying.

Quote-"Concealed carry is concealed carry....", blink,blink.blink........! Wasn't worried about me but more concerned about the "Yutes" that would be inclined to do stupid stuff.

So,concealed would mean concealed. I would also add that you be careful and SECURE your firearm if you are even thinking about going on any of the amusement rides-don't need anyone here to be in the news if your firearm pops out and lands on someone or some "Yute" picks it up and runs off with it.

Wonder how well that would hold up in court.

Your honor I read on an internet gun forum that another member was told by a Deputy (with a wink and a nod) that concealed carry meant concealed carry.

Also if by "yutes" he meant those under 18 or even under 21 they won't have a HCP and be able to legally carry regardless.

I am just bringing info to the group. It still means big boy rules. The Fairgrounds are not posted as you come in. They can ask you to leave.

Do what you feel necessary to keep you and yours safe.Or,just don't attend.

I appoligize. I was a smarta**

I just hate when officers or those that are supposed to be in the know, can't give a straight answer. "It's illegal, but I won't charge you." really isn't as good as "It is legal". I mean he can't really speak for every officer....

I just called the Wilson County Fair Board and they said you could not carry at the fairgrounds.

Call them back and ask for the ordinance that was passed, my bet is there isn't one.

Otherwise not their call, it's a park and unless the county government has voted to post the park, it can not be posted under TN state law.

• 3 years later...
[quote name="Hershmeister" post="1181407" timestamp="1408507382"]There is a big sign listing all the rules on the left side of the road at the main entrance[/quote] Any idea what it said? If I legally can't carry there then I don't plan on going at all. Especially with all this purge crap going around.

Decide for yourself. [url="http://www.lebanondemocrat.com/article/crime/453331"]http://www.lebanondemocrat.com/article/crime/453331[/url]
Dang!

The firearms charges were against people under 21, they couldn't have had a carry permit.  I'm curious of the specific circumstance of Shawn Davon Jones arrest, if he was one of the guys sitting in the car with a firearm, then he didn't violate state law...  Would be interesting to see that arrest report, because the officers might have made a mistake there.

None of this took place inside the fair grounds...  So none of this would have been covered by 39-17-1311...

But, since we're talking about the fair grounds, they are clearly governed by 39-17-1311b1H so they can not be posted under 39-17-1359, and unless the Wilson County board votes to opt the fairgrounds out of the parks carry law.  Doesn't matter what the fair ground board says, the signs they post, the state removed their ability to regulate the wearing of firearms by HCP holders and placed it 100% in the hands of the county board.

I don't even think they can legally ask you to leave, although I wouldn't suggest arguing with them about it...  I'd leave and seek redress through the court system if I was asked to leave.

Edited by JayC
I would not think the wilson county fairgrounds fall under the park carry definition. They are technically the james e ward agricultural center. Just like other public buildings are sometimes posted, so can the fairgrounds. There are a number of buildings on site in addition to open areas. Carry at your own legal risk I will post a pic tomorrow when i stop by the fair
[quote name="w0lfattack" post="1181458" timestamp="1408540996"]Any idea what it said? If I legally can't carry there then I don't plan on going at all. Especially with all this purge crap going around.Dang![/quote] Live a little . Youre more likely to have a heart attack from all the fried food than have to worry about a shooter. Tons of LEO around
  • Like 1

Just for fun, I went ahead and pulled some information about the Fair grounds...

It's technically called the James E Ward Agricultural Center and Historic Village...  It has ball fields open to the public year round when the fair isn't going on...  they also have a campground onsite as well...  I've got a call in for the budget to get emailed to me, my guess is it's the same department that handles other 'parks' in the county... but we'll see.

39-17-1311 states:

Persons possessing a handgun, who are authorized to carry the handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351, while within or on a public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other similar public place that is owned or operated by the state, a county, a municipality or instrumentality thereof, except as otherwise provided in subsection (d);

Now, I don't see how on earth the Ag Center which is opened to the public all year long, with historical buildings, campgrounds and ball fields...  isn't covered under that definition?

I could be mistaken, my guess is there is virtually no case law covering 39-17-1311...  but it sure looks covered by the law.

I would not think the wilson county fairgrounds fall under the park carry definition. They are technically the james e ward agricultural center. Just like other public buildings are sometimes posted, so can the fairgrounds. There are a number of buildings on site in addition to open areas. Carry at your own legal risk I will post a pic tomorrow when i stop by the fair

Edited by JayC