Bprater

Wilson County fairgrounds

Well if 39-17-1311 covers the Ag Center, then either the entire site allows carry or doesn't.  1311 is an all or nothing opt out.

Let us know what your detective work uncovers. Of course like many legal issues it might turn out to be legal to carry at the ballfield but not at the buildings.

The firearms charges were against people under 21, they couldn't have had a carry permit.  I'm curious of the specific circumstance of Shawn Davon Jones arrest, if he was one of the guys sitting in the car with a firearm, then he didn't violate state law...  Would be interesting to see that arrest report, because the officers might have made a mistake there.

Christopher Lamar Robinson, 18, of Lebanon, was charged with theft of property and unlawful carry and possession of a weapon. Bond was set at $14,000.

Shawn Davon Jones, 19, of Lebanon, was charged with unlawful carry and possession of a weapon. Bond was set at $3,500.

Maybe that's just poor wording on the part of arrest record, or of the reporting. Meaning, I can see unlawful carry, but unless they were also prohibited from owning firearms period, I don't get the unlawful possession part.

- OS

[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1181658" timestamp="1408576932"]Christopher Lamar Robinson, 18, of Lebanon, was charged with theft of property and [b]unlawful carry [u]and[/u] possession[/b] [b]of a weapon.[/b] Bond was set at $14,000. Shawn Davon Jones, 19, of Lebanon, was charged with [b]unlawful carry [u]and[/u] possession of a weapon[/b]. Bond was set at $3,500. Maybe that's just poor wording on the part of arrest record, or of the reporting. Meaning, I can see unlawful [u]carry[/u], but unless they were also prohibited from owning firearms period, I don't get the unlawful [u]possession[/u] part. - OS[/quote] Here is the law on unlawful carry or possession http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2010/title-39/chapter-17/part-13/39-17-1307 I would assume the paper used "and" in place of "or".
  • Like 1

Here is the law on unlawful carry or possession http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2010/title-39/chapter-17/part-13/39-17-1307 I would assume the paper used "and" in place of "or".

That's my guess, though they are separate charges, with separate penalties, and you can be charged with both.

Btw, that's 4 years ago outdated version of TCA.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yeah it's worded strange...  If I get to Lebanon this week, I'll slip into the PD and see if I can get a copy of the arrest report.  I'm betting Jones was outside the vehicle at the time of the arrest...  but it will be interesting to see.

Christopher Lamar Robinson, 18, of Lebanon, was charged with theft of property and unlawful carry and possession of a weapon. Bond was set at $14,000.

Shawn Davon Jones, 19, of Lebanon, was charged with unlawful carry and possession of a weapon. Bond was set at $3,500.

Maybe that's just poor wording on the part of arrest record, or of the reporting. Meaning, I can see unlawful carry, but unless they were also prohibited from owning firearms period, I don't get the unlawful possession part.

- OS

I can't imagine a scenario at a place like the Wilson County fair where you could safely use a firearm to defend yourself.  That said, years ago I used to compete in the trap and skeet competitions held there every year.

[quote name="10-Ring" post="1181987" timestamp="1408657254"]I can't imagine a scenario at a place like the Wilson County fair where you could safely use a firearm to defend yourself. That said, years ago I used to compete in the trap and skeet competitions held there every year.[/quote] Walking through the grassy field to and from your vehicle at night is that time. A smart criminal would get you on the way in while you still had money.

[quote name="D3vo" post="1181992" timestamp="1408658108"]Walking through the grassy field to and from your vehicle at night is that time. A smart criminal would get you on the way in while you still had money.[/quote] I think those are the carnies then you should avoid on the midway 😆

Walking through the grassy field to and from your vehicle at night is that time. A smart criminal would get you on the way in while you still had money.

That is when I am the most on guard, that field is very dark.