Another Ham Question

Guest bkelm18

Guest bkelm18

I plan on getting my license so that I can carry a handheld unit when I hit the trails. Just out of curiosity, can you contact emergency services directly using Ham or does it have to be relayed by a third party?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IF you have a handheld that is enabled to transmit on public service frequencies, and IF there is someone within range who receives your transmission, and IF it's a genuine emergency, then you're good to go.

Chances of having someone receive your transmission are slim. I wouldn't count on it. I'd carry a cell phone or an ELT.

Edited by enfield
Guest bkelm18
IF you have a handheld that is enabled to transmit on public service frequencies, and IF there is someone within your range who receives your transmission, and IF it's a genuine emergency, then you're good to go.

Chances of all 3 happening are slim. I wouldn't count on it. Carry a cell phone or an ELT.

So the answer to my question is....yes some HTs are capable of contact emergency services directly?

Just to clear it up a bit; Your (or my) Ham License doesn't allow you to transmit on Public Safety Frequencies nor are Ham Radios approved for such use. There are relatively simple mods that will allow them to transmit on other than the authorized Ham Bands. If you have a life or death emergency you may use whatever means necessary to get help so using an illegal radio is not a big problem but fines for interference to a PS agency are big $. However, the Ham systems often are as good as or better than the PS systems so you should be able to get help through fellow Ham operators. Also, many PS systems are using digital modes and you radio won't work on these systems.

Guest bkelm18
Just to clear it up a bit; Your (or my) Ham License doesn't allow you to transmit on Public Safety Frequencies nor are Ham Radios approved for such use. There are relatively simple mods that will allow them to transmit on other than the authorized Ham Bands. If you have a life or death emergency you may use whatever means necessary to get help so using an illegal radio is not a big problem but fines for interference to a PS agency are big $. However, the Ham systems often are as good as or better than the PS systems so you should be able to get help through fellow Ham operators. Also, many PS systems are using digital modes and you radio won't work on these systems.

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks a bunch.

Guest uofmeet

Also, depending on where you are, and if you are in a repeater range, you can get your signal out their farther due to a repeater. Another reason to join local clubs it to support those repeaters. In the memphis area, we use to have a repeater with auto-patch, or simply a repeater with a phone line and they basically had speed dials so you could contact local agencies if needed.

So, I would try to find the repeater in that area, and make sure it is programmed into the radio for ease of use.

The problem with transmitting on simplex to another radio with a handheld is the range is so short. You could try to extend this with a makeshift wire antenna in your pack. If there are no repeaters in the area, I'm not sure I would even bother to take it.

Guest bkelm18

Right, I understand the range of a HT is fairly short unless it can hit a repeater. I just wasn't sure if there were specific channels that were monitored by emergency agencies.

Right, I understand the range of a HT is fairly short unless it can hit a repeater. I just wasn't sure if there were specific channels that were monitored by emergency agencies.

Nope - you're on your own out there. It's not likely you could raise anyone on any frequency with a hand-held VHF/UHF radio in the boonies. That's why I recommended a cell phone or an ELT.

Guest bkelm18
Nope - you're on your own out there. It's not likely you could raise anyone on any frequency with a hand-held VHF/UHF radio in the boonies. That's why I recommended a cell phone or an ELT.

Right. But I wasn't asking about cell phones (which wont work in the boonies either) and PLBs (which I already own). :woohoo:

Guest uofmeet

The national simplex calling freq is 146.52 on the 2 meter band. Sometimes you can find someone on that, but that would be a crap shoot though.

Guest bkelm18

Obviously not everything works all the time, which is one reason I've entertained the idea of getting a handheld unit. Nothing wrong with having back-ups. Though I may just end up getting a mobile unit for my truck first.

Guest uofmeet

Ham HF freq will work ALL THE TIME. All it takes is 2 radios, no infrastructure in between is required. Takes a slightly bigger antenna and a bit more expensive radio, but WILL work ALL THE TIME.