Almost Blew Up My New Glock 20...

Picked up a Glock 20SF, today, and some Blazer 10mm ammo. As I was loading the first magazine, I pulled this out of the box...

bad10mm.jpg

After seeing that, I decided to double-check the ammo I'd already loaded, and sure enough, several of the bullets were seated too deep. Though it's not clear, the round on the left had a slightly bulged case, like it had been squeezed too hard in the press.

Might have been a problem, might not have been, but a high-pressure round in a plastic pistol with a non-fully supported chamber...I don't think I'd want to risk it. Makes me think twice, now, about the wisdom of saving two bucks for the cheapest ammo...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of surprised to see that coming from CCI. They usually put out good stuff. I wonder if the box had too much weight put on it at some point, which pushed the bullets into the case. Either way, I generally avoid the Blazer ammo because it is the only pistol ammo I ever had feed issues with due to the aluminum case.

Guest 6.8 AR

Not that I would have knowingly done it either, but the G20 probably would have

handled it. Some of the loads I have made were over the top for my 21's, and the 20"s

were at what I would have considered at the top with very little to no base bulging

of the case. Are the Blazers anything close to hot loads? I agree with you, however,

about not using that one.

I imagine that might be a bad thing for a plastic gun. I would check their website for a "contact us" and see if you can send them that pic. They might not do anything for you, but they might look into the problem.

Wonder if CCI will do anything about it?

Every time I have had a problem with CCI ammo they have taken care of me. I bought a case of 22lr that was labelled as Standard Velocity but when I opened the first box I noticed they were plated. I fired a few and realized they were in fact Minimags rather than Standard Velocity. I contacted them and emailed pictures of the labels with the lot numbers. They allowed me to keep the case I bought and sent me a case of Standard Velocity ammo.

Federal has done the same as well. I had a bad lot of Automatch. They sent me a case to replace the bad lot.

Dolomite

Every time I have had a problem with CCI ammo they have taken care of me. I bought a case of 22lr that was labelled as Standard Velocity but when I opened the first box I noticed they were plated. I fired a few and realized they were in fact Minimags rather than Standard Velocity. I contacted them and emailed pictures of the labels with the lot numbers. They allowed me to keep the case I bought and sent me a case of Standard Velocity ammo.

Federal has done the same as well. I had a bad lot of Automatch. They sent me a case to replace the bad lot.

Dolomite

That's good to know. And it's cheap on their part too. I mean, what's a case worth to them in the long run, against a lawsuit or even badmouthing. CCI's the only 22's I shoot for the most part, and the way they handled your case only reenforces that.

I had some bad Remington Gold bullets one time. Out of one brick I had a big pile of duds, they never did a thing. Never answered one single email and gave the telephone runaround. Jerks.

I doubt the one on right would have fed anyways, the other one could feasibly have been an issue.

The one on the right certainly wouldn't have fed. The others (and there were several) that were seated significantly deeper, probably would have. Had it not been for the mangled round, I would likely have found out whether or not the other rounds were a problem.

Wonder if CCI will do anything about it?

I'm not sure how CCI will handle it, since I returned the ammo and swapped it out for another brand.

This could have been done by someone who opened the box in the store/ warehouse before you, long after it left their facility…

Without any tool marks on the cartridge? I hope I never have to shake hands with that guy...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 556or762

I had one box of FEDERAL .45 ACP that I bought at Wal-Mart that had 3 rounds that were compressed I noticed before I loaded them. I am in the habit of always checking now you never know when a box will get dropped or the shipping company will ignore the top load sticker and put an anvil on top in the truck for you. good catch that might have been nasty in a Glock those are high pressure rounds to begin with much higher and they go off like a bomb.

I had a revolver jam on me once while shooting Blazer ammo and I have never bought it since. Incase you are scratching your head wondering how, the bullets walked out of the case from the recoil and locked the revolver up tight. I had to push the bullets back into the cylinder just to unload the revolver.

Guest clownsdd
This could have been done by someone who opened the box in the store/ warehouse before you, long after it left their facility…

I do sincerely apologize, but would you please explain your reasoning?

I had a revolver jam on me once while shooting Blazer ammo and I have never bought it since.....

I've shot a lot of the aluminum stuff in .357 mag, never had any lose crimp but I've had a couple stay under the star extractor after firing on Ruger SP101. Was still able to open cylinder, though, but was kind of tough to get them out of the cylinder once open. They also tend to be tighter in there in general after firing, notice that with my Blackhawk also when popping them out.

- OS

I do sincerely apologize, but would you please explain your reasoning?

Ammunition generally goes from the maker to a distributor then to the store warehouse then to the store itself. There are plenty of places the damage could have occurred after it left the manufacturing plant. When the store receives a shipment of ammunition the box will contain several different kinds and makes of ammunition. The stock boy could have been careless and accidentally dropped the individual box of ammo on the floor while carrying it to the shelf. Dropping a full box of ammo on a hard floor could have easily seated a bullet or two deeper.

Where did you buy the ammunition?

Even though Walmart has a no return policy on the ammunition they can give you a gift card for the amount or even more. I was in a Walmart when a customer bought the wrong ammunition, absolutely 100% his fault. He came back to the store and threw a temper tantrum that would put any two year old to shame. Anyways the customer waited on the manager. He told the manager that the clerk should have known what kind of ammunition a revolver takes. Even standing in the store the customer didn't even know what type of ammunition his revolver took other than the 357 sig didn't fit in the cylinder. The customer made himself look like a complete and utter idiot with how he was acting. He would huff, make the "psst" sound, look away and stomp his feet when the manager was trying to explain the no return policy. I even offered to buy the ammo for what he paid for it then he got snippy with me so I told to keep it. At that point the manager handed him a $20 gift card, the ammo cost $14 I think, and told the customer to just keep the ammo. The customer got upset again because the manager wouldn't let him leave the ammunition.

I spoke to the clerk later and he said he tried to help the customer but he was adament his revolver took 357 Sig and not 357 magnum.

Dolomite

The non-supported chamber did not apply to the large caliber Glocks. Only .40 and below.

The non-supported chamber was an issue on Gen 1-3 Glocks in .40 caliber only IIRC. Those were built on the 9mm frame.

Gen 4 Glocks are built on the .40 frame now so should not be an issue.

Gen 4 large calibers are not affected.

I made that mistake once ... buying .357 SIG instead of Magnum, gave it to my neighbor who is a cop and asked him to give it to someone that has that caliber.

You know what they say about casting your bread on the waters and it comes back tenfold?

I got some nice 12 ga. ammo out of that ... totally unexpected.