Hellcat 380 vs Ruger LCP Any Comments?

Guest WingMan380

Guest WingMan380

Been looking for a smaller pistol for my wife to carry. We have looked at the Hellcat 380 and the Ruger LCP 380. I have a Bersa Thunder 380 that I carry and my wife likes it but likes the size and feel of the smaller pistol better. I have read reviews on both of these guns and they are well praised. Anyone have any experience with these or comments regarding these guns.

Thanks

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an LCP and really like it but it is very small and she might not like the way it feel's when fired so she really need's to test fire one first. I've also owned and shot a KT P-32 and P3AT that were pretty nice as well, my wife uses the KT PF9 I set aside for a Lc9. Can't comment on the Hellcat 380.

I know nothing about the Hellcat. It appears to be a P3AT clone (amazingly similar, actually) with LCP styling. While my P3AT fits my hand pretty well, it's certainly not what I consider "fun to shoot". It serves a purpose only. I'd also suggest she try one first.

Its just another copy of kel-tec -- I would buy the original KT just because I do not care to support the copyright infringement models like ruger. Not a popular brand but those who have them say they are fine by and large. I also prefer the sig to those DAO guns, but different strokes and all that... and I like the bersa products as well. Trouble with the bersa is it also comes in 9mm, so there isnt much motivation to buy so large a package in a 380.

I've owned both an LCP and a P3AT. They are same gun except the Ruger has a nicer finish. I handled a Hellcat in store and, to me, it was considerably "rougher around the edges" than the Kel-Tec. I'd stick with the Ruger or the KT as I believe either is more tested than the Hellcat. I currently have a P3AT with no real plans to replace it. It's not an easy gun to shoot well but it is so light it that it's tolerable to carry it excercising in really hot weather or in other situations when I probably wouldn't otherwise carry. The only gun that appeals to me as a replacement would be the Ruger LCR.

Edited by JReedEsq
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest BJEC1248

I like my LCP just fine, but I say let your wife try before you buy: the little autos are pretty snappy to shoot, there's not much real estate for the hands, & some women have trouble racking the slide. she might be happier with a snubby revolover....

I have a P3AT and see no reason to own another pocket .380 but if I didn't already have that P3AT and were in the market for a pocket .380 I'd be looking awfully closely at the Bersa CC or even the Taurus PT 738 TCP (although I am not so sure about trusting Taurus semiautos.) For me, neither the Hellcat nor the Ruger LCP would be in the running because if I were going that route then I'd just buy the gun that both of those more or less ripped off - the aforementioned P3AT.

Is your Bersa Thunder the standard model or the CC (Concealed Carry) model? It has been nearly two years since I held one of the CC models but from what I remember, while I don't think it is quite as small/lightweight as a P3AT/LCP, etc. it is a little smaller and lighter than the standard model - not to mention being pretty much completely 'dehorned'.

In case yours is the standard model and you haven't seen one, this is what Bersa's Thunder CC .380 model looks like (I only mention it because you said your wife likes your Bersa):

bersa_THUND-380-SATIN-SS_con_carry.jpg

I wouldn't rule out a Ruger SR9c or a Taurus 85 Air-light .38. I mention it because most of the .380s and smaller 9mm are not really "fun to shoot" range time guns. However the SR9c and Air-Light Taurus are compact and light enough for carry, reasonably priced and won't kill your wrist at the range.

Don't get me wrong I own a Kel-Tec PF9, P11 and P3AT but they aren't guns I throw alot of lead down range with. They are strictly defensive carry and backup carry weapons.

The snappy nature of the smaller 380s and lightweight 9mms can be somewhat of a shock even to the guys.

Edited by Bane
Guest WingMan380

JAB,

I have the standard Bersa Thunder. One of the things she says after going to the range was her wrist bothered her, I told her that if she had to use a weapon during a defensive situation she would not be pumping 50-100 rounds at one time like on the range so her wrist bothering her would not be that big of an issue. I took my 11 year old son to the range and he pumped 50 rounds through my Thunder AND my .38 special revolver. I asked him he was sore or if is wrist was bothering him and he said no. We looked at the Ruger LPC and she seemed to like it because it was smaller than the Thunder but my hesitation is being so small and light weight would it have a harder recoil and be harder to control, but then again, in a self defence situation she aint gonna be pulling off 50 rounds. She did not get a chance to fire the LCP to see what it was like however I am trying to find one that she can "test fire" before we purchase one for her. I looked at the Taurs 738 tonight and will definately take a look at the Thunder CC as well. I am not worried about her shooting abilities as she is probably a better shot than I am (LOL!). She is a crack shot with a rifle and has bagged sever deer during her younger years.

Thanks for your help, it will for sure be considered.

I have owned the lil Taurus PT738 and it is a great gun but painful to shoot after 20 rds I'm in pain after 100 my wrist is hurting for a couple of days. My wife shot it three times and said "I'd defend my self with it but I'm not shooting it anymore this thing hurts" . She is not a wimp either . Everyone that tried it said it was painful to shoot .

Guest biohazardmatthew

The Ruger LCP is very snappy and without a rubber grip on it you will have to readjust your hold every couple of shots. However, it is not painful to shoot unless your hands are frozen out in the snow like mine were the first time I shot it. lol

Let me point out something to everyone who keeps saying they would buy the original Keltec P3AT over the Ruger LCP... Well excuse Ruger for taking a gun design and making it BETTER! The major difference between the P3AT and the LCP other than looks is that the Ruger LCP does not malfunction. The cheaply made Keltec will jam every so often but I have put nearly 1000 rounds through my Ruger LCP with no malfunctions so far. I will trust my life to a well made Ruger over the cheaply made Keltec.

The Ruger LCP is very snappy and without a rubber grip on it you will have to readjust your hold every couple of shots. However, it is not painful to shoot unless your hands are frozen out in the snow like mine were the first time I shot it. lol

Let me point out something to everyone who keeps saying they would buy the original Keltec P3AT over the Ruger LCP... Well excuse Ruger for taking a gun design and making it BETTER! The major difference between the P3AT and the LCP other than looks is that the Ruger LCP does not malfunction. The cheaply made Keltec will jam every so often but I have put nearly 1000 rounds through my Ruger LCP with no malfunctions so far. I will trust my life to a well made Ruger over the cheaply made Keltec.

On the Kel Tec forum you'll find plenty of people who have never had a single issue with their P3AT. I'd be willing to bet that the LCP forum has posts from folks whose Rugers have been jam-o-matics, too. I bought my P3AT as a first gen and it was not reliable. I finally sent it back to the factory and they built me a new, second gen (which is the version that Ruger copied) under warranty at no cost to me. I haven't had a single hiccup out of it, since. Also, didn't Ruger pretty much immediately issue a recall on the LCP just after it came out? I'll trust my life to the gun made by the people who originated the design and have had years of making them to get it right over the Ruger that is just trying to play catch up by ripping off a smaller, less well-known company.

Edited by JAB
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest WingMan380

OK, after handling several different guns and trying them out, she ended up with the Taurus 709 Slim and she seems to be happy with it. In a couple of weeks she goes for her HCP to which she is excited about.

Guest RobThatsMe

Congrats to her on her choice, and best of luck with obtaining her HCP.

My wife got hers at the same time I did. I'm glad that she carries.

Rob

This was an Interesting choice as the pistol is on par with the Lc9 in size, but with a slightly thicker slide, which should provided added mass during recoil so that should make a difference. It’s good to see that your wife made an informed choice, now it’s time for some training.

OK, after handling several different guns and trying them out, she ended up with the Taurus 709 Slim and she seems to be happy with it. In a couple of weeks she goes for her HCP to which she is excited about.
My wife had one of the 709s for a long time. It was fine, a little less than stellar accuracy but a great choice for self defense ranges. Never had a jam or any trouble out of it and I am sure it would have worked great if we had been in need of it. IMHO one of the top 10 DA pocket 9mms, maybe even the top 2 or 3.