Preparation Meetup?

Guest bkelm18
okay, just re-read things. One post says Dec 3 that's a Saturday, another post says Friday. Please clarrify. I can do either night, just don't wanna do both.

I think the camp out is Friday night with maybe shooting etc. on Saturday. Though judging by the ariel views it doesn't seem to be a very secluded area.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay, just re-read things. One post says Dec 3 that's a Saturday, another post says Friday. Please clarrify. I can do either night, just don't wanna do both.

I think he was figuring on getting out there Friday night (the 2nd), spending the night and doing the main thing on Saturday (but not Saturday night).

If I get the chance to come out, I'll probably show up Friday afternoon/evening equipped with basic primitive necessities (buck skin breeches, tumpline bedroll, flint & steel, gourd canteens, etc...) and head home around noon-ish on Saturday.

...TS...

Edited by Timestepper
as long as I can dig a hole, LOL if you know what I mean

I'll bring fold up shovel, already thought that small squat trench should be first activity.

Seriously, if Mikey goes, I will too -- Cody, you in?

And really want to meet some of you others, Brandon, Time, Murg, etc.

Again, I might bring a few items for show and tell, and certainly guns to shoot, but not gonna fool with tent.

I've got a couple of fold up camp fire grills if we're gonna try to actually bring stuff for a group cook; then again, I don't mind just scarfing from a couple of cans for the duration to keep it simple.

Oh, since some of us would probably give up and shoot ourselves the first morning after EOTWAWKI without coffee, I will bring at least one little campfire grill and a perk coffee maker to put on it!

- OS

edit: btw, extended weather looks fine, so we won't have to suffer much to "survive" :shrug:

Edited by OhShoot
Guest bkelm18

I've got a Coleman stove if it needs to be brought for anything. I know that's not exactly SHTF type equipment but no sense in eating dead Zebras and drinking urine on our first outing.

I will probably show up on Saturday, with the wife working I would have to bring my heathen on Friday Night if I were to stay.

I don't have much in the way of gear, other than a full compliment of camping supplies in the truck, but that does me no good if I am not camping.

I might bring a gun or two. If anyone else is going to show up Saturday, what time are you guys thinking?

Hopefully Johnny, this won't be the last one. Hope to see ya at the next one!

1.) The camping segment will be on friday December 2nd followed by the majority of the activities on Saturday.

2.) The place isn't really secluded. Like I said it's right of Chapman HWY a few miles out of Sevierville. There will be cars visable. I was going more for convenience the first time around. There's even power here... really wasn't going to hard on the first get together.. lol For the next one I can try to arrange something a lot more isolated, but if I hear banjo music I swear.........

Friday night I thought we'd just sit around and enjoy the campfire. We'd meet and greet and cook a little food and see where the conversations lead. I thought it would be a great opportunity to meet the people behind the usernames and make some like minded friends in the area. Also I'd like to bounce any last minute ideas off those in attendance.

Saturday I'm still trying to get nailed down. Really trying to focus on the 72 hour rescue scenario. Regulating body temperature through heat loss/release, signaling techniques, firecraft, expedient shelters, water procurement and purification, etc. Really trying to find things to do that we can actually practice though. I'd like to see the pool bleach/motor oil fire starting technique myself. Sure we could biuld a few fires, I'm sure we've all done that before, but a lot it seems is reading facts off a sheet. Like how to identify the signs/symptoms of hyper/hypothermia... We could do traps and snares, more durable structures, and a few other more long term "primative" practices, but, it wouldn't fit the 72 hour survival scenario.

Like I've said before, I'm all for going big on these meet ups. I thought we could have a "no metal tools allowed," "pack 5lbs of gear or less", or a "live 3 day's out of your BOB" gathering. If we all had GPSs we could do a hike to a certain point to camp meetup. All that would be posted were coordinates. You find your own way. Paintball would be cool to do one weekend. I'm apprenticing at a knife makers co-op, maybe one of these gatherings I'll make a forge and we can make our own knives out of files or something. Maybe it's a little past my bedtime. It feels like I'm putting a little too much into this and sounding childish... lol

I'd love to have one of these seasonally, but this isn't just for me- any ideas anyone?

*P.S.* For those bringing guns for the group's enjoyment, maybe we should post round caliber,that way everyone can bring their own ammo. Maybe also a preference in ammo because not every weapon shoots that cheap stuff.

Wow. Well, I'll admit that I'm beginning to have second thoughts about what I could actually contribute, if anything at all - most of of what you're talking about sounds pretty high-tech to me and I'm admittedly a pretty low-tech kind of guy. I mean, I guess I could demonstrate/teach flint & steel fire starting or making ash cakes and stick bread, maybe some other really basic and exceedingly mundane stuff, but otherwise I'd probably feel like tomato cans & string at a smart-phone convention. Just wouldn't fit in at all...

Guess I'll have to ponder things further and try to decide for myself whether I'd actually be a help, hindrance or a just a mild curiosity. I dunno... :D

Guest bkelm18

I won't be doing much shooting this time around if we get into that. I'm just a broke college student. :D Certainly sounds like an ambitious schedule.

Edited by bkelm18

I will ask a dumb question, is it legal to shoot there and is there a safe place to do it? Does the property owner allow shooting?

The biggest thing I expect to find out as I stated previously is if my BOB is useful or not.

Not sure what I can contribute either but I may know something and not know I do, LOL. Guess I will find that out too.

Guest bkelm18
Wow. Well, I'll admit that I'm beginning to have second thoughts about what I could actually contribute, if anything at all - most of of what you're talking about sounds pretty high-tech to me and I'm admittedly a pretty low-tech kind of guy. I mean, I guess I could demonstrate/teach flint & steel fire starting or making ash cakes and stick bread, maybe some other really basic and exceedingly mundane stuff, but otherwise I'd probably feel like tomato cans & string at a smart-phone convention. Just wouldn't fit in at all...

Guess I'll have to ponder things further and try to decide for myself whether I'd actually be a help, hindrance or a just a mild curiosity. I dunno... :)

Come on out. Most of us are just going to put faces to names and maybe learn a thing or two. It never hurts to to know how to do things primitively.

Come on out. Most of us are just going to put faces to names and maybe learn a thing or two. It never hurts to to know how to do things primitively.

This is the summary of the whole meetup.

And yes it's legal and safe to shoot. Owner has his own little paper Target range area for his .22. We'd be shooting into a small mountain. Safe and legal.

Well, since you put it that way, I guess I'll see what I do. Still prob'ly won't know until the last minute if I'll be out Friday evening or early Saturday morning, but I reckon I'll be there eventually just the same. (That is if the first week back after vacation don't kill me.) :popcorn:

...TS...

Edited by Timestepper

I have a question that might seem silly...

What is the state of the driveway/pulloff to this event?

One would of course assume that for a survival preparation meetup, we should all be driving our great big jacked up four wheel drive vehicles.

However, my wife will have mine that morning and I will be driving my slammed to the ground car that has little to no clearance.

I can still show up Friday night for a while, but it was pointed out to me today that we have a Cub Scout event already planned for Saturday morning. I totally spaced it out. Pancake Breakfast at Texas Roadhouse by Town Center Mall at 7:00 am Saturday. I don't mind eating the 25 bucks worth of tickets ( 5) that I already bought, but as an adult leader in the Pack and Den I am expected to be there.

If I can get out of it without rocking the boat I will ,but Saturday is not looking good for me.

I may stop by Friday if I can to say hello but cannot camp. Also, if anyone is willing to "teach" any lessons maybe we could do a teaching day in the future. I'm gonna step up and help bigbabysweets and take charge of the teaching aspect since he has let us use this land. PM me if you are willing to teach something. It would be basic type knowledge of whatever topic you know about. For example, I would be willing to teach advanced airway techniques along with fluid resuscitation since that is what I do for a living. I'm not a certified CPR instructor but I can teach you correct principles. I can show you how to place IV lines and how to maintain airway(s) in emergency situations. I do this type work everyday so I would feel comfortable teaching the BASIC principles of this. So who is game?

Also, it should be noted that if this works out, and I show you how to place IVs etc...that does not mean you are competent enough to run around with EMS workers. It would be basic knowledge to just see in case the world ends and for some reason you are left with an IV and an ambu bag.

Guest bkelm18
I may stop by Friday if I can to say hello but cannot camp. Also, if anyone is willing to "teach" any lessons maybe we could do a teaching day in the future. I'm gonna step up and help bigbabysweets and take charge of the teaching aspect since he has let us use this land. PM me if you are willing to teach something. It would be basic type knowledge of whatever topic you know about. For example, I would be willing to teach advanced airway techniques along with fluid resuscitation since that is what I do for a living. I'm not a certified CPR instructor but I can teach you correct principles. I can show you how to place IV lines and how to maintain airway(s) in emergency situations. I do this type work everyday so I would feel comfortable teaching the BASIC principles of this. So who is game?

Also, it should be noted that if this works out, and I show you how to place IVs etc...that does not mean you are competent enough to run around with EMS workers. It would be basic knowledge to just see in case the world ends and for some reason you are left with an IV and an ambu bag.

Sounds excellent. I've got a decent background dealing with radiation (protection/decon/detection/etc). So if that would be something that people would be interested in I could try and scrounge up a lesson or something. I'd have to find my books first.

"Teach" might be a little too strong a word for what I'm willing to do - I don't expect anybody to take notes and there won't be a test afterwords unless someone wants to try for themselves what I've shown them - maybe "show and tell" or "demonstrate" would fit better. And the classification would probably fall under the category of "primitive skills" although when I use to do this on a regular basis out West, we called it "Frontier Survival Skills." So, yeah... If anyone wants to listen to me flap my lips for a bit and watch me do some real basic & mundane stuff like flint & steel fire starting, making ash cakes and/or stick bread and just generally getting by on very little, then I reckon I'm up for it. Still don't know about Friday, but will definitely be out Saturday morning as early as possible if nothing else. Will probably have to take off about noon-ish just to have time for honey-do's before I hit the road again Sunday.

...TS...

P.S. If the driveway turns out to less than suitable for someone's car, I'll be happy to give them a ride if we can settle on the times in advance.