Has anyone ever found a Black Widow spider in their mailbox?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ususally kill 3-4 black widows in my shop every year. have plenty of daddy longlegs at my place BUT the smaller grey ones CAN AND WILL bite. sitting on my front porch about 3 weeks ago thought a skeeter bit me i looked down at my leg and this grey grand daddy had decided it wanted part of me. it got blood and it itched for a little while but no other problems. that one wont bite anyone else though

Guest cajun600

Check out this guy, we'd seen him out on our front patio a few times, but was too quick to be caught. Had made a nice funnel shaped web and was "cleaning house" near our patio light at night! Well bug guy got him and saved him for us.

spider.jpg

I was fine reading this thread, even with the spider in the beard comment-I'm sporting a beard atm- but that pic is just too much!

Pics should only be posted as links so those of us that are arachnophobes do not have to suffer : shutters:

cajun, I'm sending you a bill for my ruined underroos :)

Guest cajun600
I was fine reading this thread, even with the spider in the beard comment-I'm sporting a beard atm- but that pic is just too much!

Pics should only be posted as links so those of us that are arachnophobes do not have to suffer : shutters:

cajun, I'm sending you a bill for my ruined underroos :P

:)

I'll send you the address for the complaint dept asap!

Check out this guy, we'd seen him out on our front patio a few times, but was too quick to be caught. Had made a nice funnel shaped web and was "cleaning house" near our patio light at night! Well bug guy got him and saved him for us.

spider.jpg

Actually might not be a brown recluse. I copied the pic and enhanced it. No "fiddle" markings on back, and those trailing appendages on abdomen don't exist on any other brown recluse picture I can find. Also, they aren't funnel web makers (they actually make a random and irregular web), but those appendages are characteristic of some funnel web species.

- OS

Brown recluses do not get very big at all, I believe what many of the people in this thread have seen are actually "wolf spiders". Which look similar but they get much larger and are agressive... Brown recluses are not agressive, hence their name... recluse...

"wolf spider"

wolspi.jpg

Brown Recluse.

31_brown_recluse_spider.jpg

The most terrified I have ever been in my life was leaving for work one morning. I lived in an apartment with a recessed door and an orb weaver had built a web, overnight, top to bottom in the doorway. I walked out at 5am, half asleep, and walked right into it. Ex-wife claimed she had never heard a more bloodcurdling scream in her life.

The most terrified I have ever been in my life was leaving for work one morning. I lived in an apartment with a recessed door and an orb weaver had built a web, overnight, top to bottom in the doorway. I walked out at 5am, half asleep, and walked right into it. Ex-wife claimed she had never heard a more bloodcurdling scream in her life.

:) Thanks. That made my day.

I have come REALLY close to doing that twice!!!

The front of my place has a column supporting an overhang, and the garage extends past the column. Front door is straight between the column and garage. Yeah, the spider had made a ~3 foot wide and tall web between the garage and this column and I was about 6 inches away from walking into it(it was dark outside too) when I noticed a big black thing just chilling in front of me. Stepped back and used my flashlight to find the humongous web.

The other one was between a light post and a sign. Smaller web, but at face height. Luckily there were lights around so I saw the web from like 2 feet back.

I sure as hell would have screamed like a girl had I walked through either one.

Guest db99wj

For the last two months, I've stepped up my running to about 4-5 days per week, should hit 20 for the week tomorrow! But anyway, I run our greenline a lot and the section that I enter is a long section that runs through the Wolf River bottoms and over the river, lots of trees, makes a canopy. Being 5am, there has been no body on it all night and the spiders are doing there thing. I hit a lot of webs, nothing major usually, just one strand here, a couple there, etc.

This morning, ran the street and was going along where a concrete wall, iron fence, and a bunch of trees is located. I hit a full round type web, couldn't see it, but I felt it, seems like every strand, from my face, all the way down to my waist, I was running without a shirt on. I'm jumping, and hoping and trying to stay calm and not run out into the street and get nailed by a car. My wife is laughing at me.

Saw this dude in my carport one night. About the size of a quarter to half dollar.

Pictures2030.jpg

Pictures2026.jpg

Guest Broomhead

I hate walking into webs. My wife is ~5'2", I'm 6'3", she walks under them, I get hit right in the face. I don't freak when I see spiders, but they will end up dead 9 times out of ten. If I happen to find one near my wife or daughter, who both completely freak (my daughter screams and runs), or where she is always terrified that she will find one, I just kill it and dispose of it quietly without a word.

The big ones in the shed are recluses, the are hairless and have the fiddle design on their back. Recluses like to hide, hence the name. If they were known for retreating the would be called retreaters instead. They will go on the offensive if they feel the need to.

If you happen across a spider it a pool, make sure it is actually dead before trying to remove it. They can survive for short while under water by breathing any air bubbles trapped on their bodies/hair.