Thinking about a suppressor

Well I've been wanting a supressor for a while now and need some advice on which route I should take.

So first off what should I look to put the suppressor on

Choices

1) G19

2) Springfield TRP

3) Ruger 10/22

My ultimate goal would be to put one on the TRP, however with the cost of the supressor, new barrel and fitting the price is gonna be high.

So that said I was leaning toward a 10/22 or another similar 22. I have one but don't want to modify it, so I would most likely buy another. With this the suppressers are cheaper and so is the ammo. I may end up having some good money invested but it would be cheap to shoot and really quiet.

And of course with the Glock I would just need the barrel an can.

What would you do if you were me? What do you think of Griffin Armament supressors if I went the 22 route? (cheapest I've seen)

• Admin Team

I'd go with a good .22LR suppressor first. You'll shoot it a lot, and it's a lot of fun. I'd go with a good .22 suppressor. Personally, I think the Gemtech Outback II is about the best deal going in a user serviceable rimfire suppressor.

The G19 is also a good platform, as a drop in barrel by Lone Wolf or Storm Lake is pretty cheap. 45ACP is a great platform to suppress, but as you said, the initial cost is the highest, so I'd probably start with the others first.

Here's the thing. Once you go "ear safe", almost every firearm decision you make after that will include the ability to suppress it. There's no going back. So, start with the .22LR, and you're sure to acquire more as funds allow.

I would suggest going the trust route as opposed to the classic CLEO signoff route. Regardless of the other benefits, it really seems to streamline the process of getting your paperwork approved.

Decide what platform you are going to use your 22 suppressor on. Then after that research and find out what the quietest suppressor on the platform is. A rifle suppressor may not do well on a pistol and vice versa. I have a list of testing done by an independent for all the suppressors as of last year. They are broken down by pistol and rifle. The pistol is a P22 and the rifle is a 10/22. If you want I can give you the top 5 or so on the rifle.

Another consideration is the suppressor needs to be able to be taken apart for cleaning. Rimfires are dirty and fill the cans with lead. Another thing to consider is the material it is made out of. Aluminum maybe light but it also can't be cleaned using media like SS can. You also have to be careful about which solvents you use, ammonia eats aluminum. Another problem is the aluminum tends to work harden and crack or at the least the few makers I spoke to about it said they did.

For me it was a no brainer. It needed to be a stainless can that can be taken apart for cleaning.

Dolomite

Ok so for the sake of the thread let's say I'm going with .22lr. in a rifle.

What would the best platform be 10/22?

What about an AR with a .22 conversion? Or just a straight AR in .22lr.

What about an AR with a .223 can? Would it perform the same shooting .22 and .223?

I understand that .22 leads the can pretty bad so I would definitely want one that seperates. Obviously I wouldn't want to buy 2 supressors at this stage but if I can buy one that works on both calibers, that would be a plus.

If you are looking for the quitest possible .22 I would probably go with a Remmington 597 for a semiauto. I have shot it side by side with a Ruger 10/22 and the 597 is noticably quieter when unsuppressed. So I can only assume it would also be quieter with a suppressor. Plus, IMHO the 597 is simply a better rifle than the 10/22. I have owned both and shot both extensively and that is the unbiased opinion I have developed. But again, thats just my opinion, take it with salt, mileage may vary.

Ok so for the sake of the thread let's say I'm going with .22lr. in a rifle.

What would the best platform be 10/22?

All depends on what you like and what accessories you already have. If you have a 10/22 with magazines and such it would be cheaper than starting out with a different platform. Threaded barrels for 10/22's can be had for around $110 shipped. Getting a barrel threaded is about $75. I would rather have a threaded match barrel for $110 than have the factory barrel threaded because of the accuracy.

What about an AR with a .22 conversion? Or just a straight AR in .22lr.

I use a dedicated with my can. I chose it mostly because they tend to be more accurate than a 223 with a 22 lr conversion. I am confortable with the platform and mine is 100% reliable. I also have a 10/22 but haven't threaded it because I can't see me using it much.

What about an AR with a .223 can? Would it perform the same shooting .22 and .223?

A 223 can is going to be as quiet as a 22lr can if not quieter because of the extra volume. The problem with a 223 can is they are generally sealed which means you are going to have a find a way to clean it. There are some 223 cans that can be disassembled. Another problem with a 223 can is they are generally bigger, heavier and although they can be used on a pistol it makes it unhandy because of the extra weight. Using the sights on a pistol can be an issue as well because of the extra diameter. Also, when shooting supersonic ammo either 223 or 22 you are going to get the sonic crack. No way to avoid that.

I understand that .22 leads the can pretty bad so I would definitely want one that seperates. Obviously I wouldn't want to buy 2 supressors at this stage but if I can buy one that works on both calibers, that would be a plus.

Like I said there are a few take apart 223 cans. But the ones that come to mind tend to be louder than the higher priced sealed units but on a 22 lr I don't think it is an issue. They would, without a doubt be quiet on a 22lr but the 223 suppression won't be as good as say a AAC or something like that.

The TAC-65 from Tactical Innovations is a take apart 223 can. It is a large, heavy can but it works. It is the only 223 take apart suppressor that comes to mind. There might be others but they aren't from any of the big name makers. Another bonus to the TAC-65 is it is rather inexpensive compared to most 223 cans.

Another option if you have the equipment and skills is to build your own. It makes things a lot cheaper in the long run. You can't count the $200 stamp because it will be required regardless of the can's cost.

In order for the 597 to be quieter than the 10/22 the barrel is probably a bit longer. I have had a 22 rifle that had a 27.5 inch barrel. When shooting subsonics it was as quiet as a suppressed gun with a shorter barrel. Not going to get into a which is better argument but the 10/22 has more aftermarket support than the Remington and is generally easier to work on. With a rifle you are going to have to shoot subsonics to have it a quiet as possible. Supersonic ammunition is just as loud out of a suppressor because of the sonic crack.

Do research before buying!!! Join silencerresearch.com and review their testing. It will save you the misery of buying a crappy suppressor. And as I said before there are pistol suppressor and rifle suppressors.

Dolomite

• Admin Team

For sealed .22 suppressors, they say about 10,000 rounds before needing to be refreshed. I would probably say a non-rimfire could go much longer. I would expect any of the manufacturers can tell you the expected service life before the internals need to be replaced.

• Admin Team

Yeah, I think so. The tube itself has the serial number. The internals can always be replaced. I expect the manufacturer could even replace the tube with a duplicate serialed one.

I wouldn't stress about it too much. A good can should last. I've got a sealed, stainless rimfire suppressor that I got for the cost of the stamp. I've purposely not cleaned it, knowing I can dip it and disolve the lead buildup. It's got thousands upon thousands of rounds through it with no noticeable difference in suppression quality. I ran a bore camera down it not long ago and was surprised at how clean it was.

With centerfire suppressors it isn't the dirt that kills them generally. It is the blast of hot gases that erodes away the baffles, specifically the blast baffle. And anytime the opening in the baffle gets larger the can gets louder. That is the reason why high end suppressors use iconel or other high end alloys because they resist the blast and heat much better than say 303/304 or even 17-4 stainless. The only advantage to using the high end alloys in a rimfire is for full auto use.

Dolomite

Im too lazy to read all the other comments, but I recommend a good QD style 9mm suppressor for your G19, and then threading your 10/22 to accept that same 9mm suppressor.

You will have little to no performance loss by shooting subsonic .22 out of your 9mm can, and it allows you to "spread the stamp" over several platforms.

* I don't prefer or recommend mounting the 9mm can on a .22 pistol, as it would be bulky and slightly front heavy, but mounted to a bull barreled 10/22 it will perform VERY well.

Bimmer thanks for the idea, I hadn't thought of doing that. Would you worry about leading the 9mm can while shooting .22?

*not familiar with what "QD Style" means

*NM got it, Quick Detachable. Google saves the day once again

Edited by Lumber_Jack
Guest Halkon005

Look into the YHM Phantom multi caliber or the Innovative Arms website, Phil in Elgin SC is tops in the business and his cans are extra durable.

Glad you are. YHM makes some amazing stuff and I have owned my fair share of their products but for me I was looking at the most suppression. That is where the YHM rimfire cans don't do as well as others.

I do not have first hand experience with various cans including the YHM offerings. What I needed to do, like a lot of us out there, is read through a lot of reviews and make a choice. I have read every review I could over the last few years and in nearly every one of the YHM rimfire cans have been in the bottom half of the sound suppression spectrum. One of the biggest resources is silencer research and I even paid for a few years of memberships there to make sure I was well informed. I also called various makers, asked a lot of questions about their offerings and how they compared to others.

I will say this, almost every maker tests their own way to enhance their can's abilities. This is where independents like silencer research come in. He uses the same method (a milspec standard BTW) for every single test he does. This ensures all the cans at least start out on an even playing field. The only variables are the exteranls like weather conditions.

I did a lot of research into different designs. In the end I built my own and I would venture to say it is as good as most cans on the market now. It also combines the ability to take it apart (which is a must with a heavily used rimfire) as well as full stainless construction. My can is a bigger and heavier can than a rimfire needs to be but it will last a lifetime and I will say it is likely FA capable as well.

I am not saying the YHM rimfire cans are bad, just saying they aren't the best. In the list I have compiled, that lists at least 30 different makes and models of rimfire suppressors, YHM cans make up two of the last three in the list.

In the end I am glad you like your YHM and please don't take it as anything personal because it isn't. I was just stating that the YHM rimfire cans are some of the louder cans on the market based on my research.

Dolomite

I know that it's not the best out there but it was definitely worth the money. And it's alot of fun. I haven't had any complaints about it. I tell you what, if we ever get on the same side of the state, I'll let you check it out.