Taurus 709 Slim...Opinions?

Guest King703

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought one just last Saturday after asking for opinions on the forum. I handled the Taurus, Kel-Tec, and Khar of the same class, and was the most impressed with the 709. It fit my large hand better because of the "backstrap" and had a better trigger and sights than the others. I haven't shot it yet, but have read others who uniformly say that it shoots low-left out of the box, but it has adjustable sights.

Guest coldblackwind

I've owned 2, and ended up selling them both. However that was because it just wasn't my cup of tea, not any problems with them. They really didn't shoot bad, and the guy I sold the first one to like it so much that when I decided to sell the second, he bought that one too.

we had one, it functioned well but I could not hit anything with it (this is not the gun's fault, probably). Wife got it to carry and it served her well for several years before she changed her mind on what she likes. Personally, I think this may be one of the best of the small DA 9mm pistols. To go smaller means a DAO and many of the others in this class are much wider, so it sort of stands alone in the small, thin, DA category, or if not alone, one of less than 5 good choices.

Guest justluck

I set out to buy a Slim, 9mm and ended up with the SR9c. LGS range had both guns for rent and I shot both - search was over after shooting the SR9c. The range Slim did shoot very low. Range guy said I was anticipating the shot; then he tried it and did the same thing.

I had one, and sold it. On the good side, it was completely reliable, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. It had a long and rough trigger, and shot waaaaay low. Even after adjusting the sights to their limit, it was low at 5 yards. If I decide to venture into pocket gun territory again, I'll be going with a Kahr. The few I've shot have been much more pleasant overall. They had better triggers, better accuracy (for me), better precision (for me), and less felt recoil (again, for me), which allowed for faster follow-up shots. The 709 was not for me, but I have no doubt that others will be very pleased with it.

Guest King703

Thank you, everyone. I have heard about the long trigger pull and the low left grouping. I would rather carry a sub glock or XD but they seem a bit bulky. I have a duty XD 9 and love it but its just too big for summer carry.

Thanks again,

King

Guest peacexxl

The issue of shooting low left can be corrected if you adjust the sights correctly. That being that you loosen the set screw and then make adjustments to elevation, then tighten the set screw back down. Now my slim is dead on and I like it.