Holster Help

Do any of you have actual carry experience with the Aholster Belt Holster? I'm considering that holster as an OWB concealed carry holster for my XDsc. I'm a little thrown off by the rubber belt loops. Rubber? Really? Just hard for me to wrap my head around. Other than that the design appears to be good.

I currently carry my 1911 in a Milt Sparks Axiom and that is held snug up against my body and I have no issues concealing it at all. It's also mighty comfy. Since I can't afford an Axiom again and I would like to carry the XDsc, I'm looking at Kydex to lower the price.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't wrap the loops around your head. You wrap them around your belt. :tinfoil:

Ha Ha! I got a good laugh out of this. I should've expected it I suppose. :D

I just placed an order. I figured someone has to be the Guinea Pig and it might as well be me. I'll update with a review when I receive it and will try to post a follow up review after it gets some usage.

Edited by tt0511

I just placed an order. I figured someone has to be the Guinea Pig and it might as well be me. I'll update with a review when I receive it and will try to post a follow up review after it gets some usage.

I have the AHolster for th LCR and it is nice and tight against my body with just a loose shirt. I was worried that a kydex holster OWB would be too thick to conceal but the contour takes care of it. I wish he made the holster for my Walther PPS which I carry IWB on occasion. I love my AHolster!

I have the AHolster for th LCR and it is nice and tight against my body with just a loose shirt. I was worried that a kydex holster OWB would be too thick to conceal but the contour takes care of it. I wish he made the holster for my Walther PPS which I carry IWB on occasion. I love my AHolster!

Thanks for the post. Kydex should conceal better than leather due to it's thinness. But, shape and design are the big factor in that. I love my Blackhawk Serpa, but it's like wearing a brick as far as concealment goes.

• 2 weeks later...

The holster arrived today, very well packed. The fit of the kydex to the gun is perfect with no play/movement of the firearm when in the holster. The comfort of the holster is just amazing. The directional snaps are a bit tough to undo but I think they get easier over time. I'll post another review after time goes by but for now this holster looks like a winner.

100_2639.jpg

100_2638.jpg

I don't like the sound of the rubber belt loops at all and I would be greatly concerned about the longevity of them. Once one of the loops dryrots or splits, is there a sufficient retention point in the kydex, or will the gun come spilling out? Definitely approach with caution and consider these issues now.

I don't like the sound of the rubber belt loops at all and I would be greatly concerned about the longevity of them. Once one of the loops dryrots or splits, is there a sufficient retention point in the kydex, or will the gun come spilling out? Definitely approach with caution and consider these issues now.

That's a valid point. I'll have to keep a close eye on the loops and see what happens with them over time. I've already considered having the local leather shop make leather loops for it and switching them out. I had initial concerns before making the purchase. I've never seen a holster with rubber components. There is significant retention within the kydex itself depending on how you adjust the retention via the screw.

But, the rest of the design seems to be very sound and well executed.

Edited by tt0511
That's a valid point. I'll have to keep a close eye on the loops and see what happens with them over time. I've already considered having the local leather shop make leather loops for it and switching them out. I had initial concerns before making the purchase. I've never seen a holster with rubber components. There is significant retention within the kydex itself depending on how you adjust the retention via the screw.

But, the rest of the design seems to be very sound and well executed.

Yep, that's a first for me as well. Leather is an option, but I'd also look for other hardware options as well. Screw-attached plastic or metal clips are the safest bet such as what you'd find with Comp-Tac, Raven, KC, or Bladetech holsters.

On the retention, make sure you adjust accordingly, especially since you have some concerns. If you've never done this before, the technique I use is as follows: Load the magazine to capacity, insert it into the magwell (but don't chamber a round) and insert the pistol into the holster, then turn it upside down. Adjust so that the retention holds the pistol securely while inverted. Then loctite the retention screw(s).

I have had my belt holster a long time now and the thick rubber holds the holster securely and shows no signs of wearing out soon. It also can be replaced. I love this holster and wish it was made for more of my guns.

USARTGO, thanks for the feedback! It's good to know there's someone else out there with the same holster with some experience/time using it.

I've been wearing the holster all weekend and I'm growing more confident that the rubber will not be an issue any time soon. The holster is VERY comfortable. At the moment I just plan to keep inspecting the gear on a regular basis and see if any stress cracks or dry rot ever shows up on the straps. The straps simply are NOT going to tear. Whatever kind of rubber they are made of is pretty darn tough stuff. I'm thinking they won't degrade for a very, very long time as long as I don't store the holster out in the shed or in the car. I believe direct sunlight and heat would be the causative factors in that. Since I don't plan on open carry with this holster, I don't see why there should be much concern of someone trying to rip it off my belt since it will stay concealed.

So far I really love this holster. It feels no different on the belt than my Milt Sparks Axiom, is way cheaper, the kydex is very well formed and is extremely sturdy and it offers a much easier/faster draw stroke than leather. It conceals 100% better than the Serpa. It is the way to go for my XDsc. But, the 1911 will remain in leather.

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to give a long term review update. I didn't realize I've had the Aholster Belt Holster for a year already! Phew, time flies. A year later and there are still no signs of the rubber straps dry rotting, splitting, cracking or breaking in any way. I do believe they have stretched a tiny, tiny amount (maybe 1/16" or less) but nothing to be concerned about. I'm still happy with the Aholster and just ordered a new one for my new Glock 19. I can comfortably recommend this holster to anyone wanting a very comfortable belt holster for concealment, gaming or just range use.