Just a quick mini-review before I stick this in the mail for Erik:

Zero Tolerance 035.

3.25" blade, S30V steel, coated with black "Tungsten DLC (Diamond Like Carbon)"

Textured G-10 scales

"SpeedSafe" assisted opening, framelock

4 option pocket clip

Flipper with thumb studs

4344.jpg

Absolutely a stellar knife, certainly worth the C-note or so for those who want what this baby offers. Really built, with wide (but thinner than you would assume) blade. Feels super in hand with conventional grip, reverse fist grip, but so so with forward fist grip. Once opened, the flipper adds to a deep handle choil that will certainly keep your hand off the blade. Has strong jimping on top of handle to add in thumb control, and additional jimping on butt for thumb in reverse fist grip (although most will probably tend to wrap thumb around grip). One other interesting feature is that the blade stop is built into the liner, does not use a horizontal bar through frame. The only other knife I've handled with that design is the Buck Vantage series, of which I am a big fan. (edit: Seems I may be wrong on this in that the blade stop is actually done by the thumb studs?)

The frame is very thick, almost as thick as the blade, the frame lockup fits perfectly right on first third of beveled blade back, allowing room for it to move across as it wears over time. Oversize pivot bolt/screw. There is absolutely no vertical play in blade. However, surprisingly, there is a tad of horizontal play in blade, and is present unless the pivot screw (Torx T8) is tightened down to point that it won't automatically open with the assist mechanism. I adjusted it as tightly as I could and still have auto assist do its thing freely.

Of course, it opens with almost an afterthought with the flipper. The thumb studs are less useful since they are flush with the edge of the scales, and don't offer easy purchase, forget about using them with gloves -- but again, since the prominent flipper is so effective, not sure why they're even there.

All of these robust features add up to 5.7 oz on my digital scale, not an issue for me, but do realize this is not a featherweight knife.

So, yeah, I'm impressed, truly. It's a bruiser and should serve well as an all around utility blade; it's plenty sharp, too -- now I didn't put it through any cutting chores beyond paper and cardboard, but both the edge taking and holding properties of S30V are all well documented, so I'm sure it's no slouch at most any normal task you'll encounter.

Now, there are a few reasons I wouldn't choose this baby for my EDC, and certainly YMMV:

- First, I'm just not an "assisted opening guy". (1) I just don't need that technology to get a blade open quickly enough (2) even though they are federally legal (and I assume legal anywhere in the US by state law) I don't need the extra scrutiny and questions should push come to shove with LEAs and (3) it is something to break in time, as many are reported to do (yeah, I realize the knife would still likely be functional even if that happened.) While I might be a few nano seconds slower with either my Spyderco with thumbhole, or Buck with manual flipper, they're plenty quick enough, with nothing to wear out, or be questioned by a knife ignorant small town LEO.

- Second, I don't use pocket clips on hardly any of the knives I've ever carried. Generally all my life, I've just snuggled a big folder in back left pocket upright against wallet. There's a Spyderco Military there now (clip removed). For two reasons: (1) don't want to advertise I'm carrying and (2) almost all clip designs have at least part of the knife sticking above edge of pocket, which further advertizes the knife (and often even identifies its make). Also, in rear pocket it prevents the flap on cargo pants/shorts, my usual attire, from laying flat down to pocket and securing.

This ZT extends about 1.5" above pocket with clip in the current tip up position, and looks like about .25" less if moved to the tip down position.

Now, there is one, only one, clip design I've found in a knife I liked otherwise that doesn't have this drawback, and that's the aforementioned Buck Vantage, which allows the top of the knife to ride flush with the top of the pocket, and indeed, I'm currently carrying a Vantage Pro, clipped, in my OTHER back pocket (it also has S30V blade and the frame based blade stop):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9dwQXEBtMR1ECtCVnL7s7S7FA7AlcxiUv4n4Zv7VGNYiMuI6p

Lastly, I'm really not a fan of the ZT's blade shape, ie, a recurve mini "Bolo" design. In a big work knife, such a design is great for chopping, but I don't see a real advantage using it in a smaller one. It effectively divides the blade into three separate entities, and the transition from base up to thick middle, and big sweeping bend to tip. One advantage of it is that the thick middle portion certainly lends itself for tremendous power in a forward cut, but the shape overall is not as conducive to a smooth slice from base to tip or tip to base. Also, for the remote possibility of umm...close social work, the ZT tip is far from being an effective piercing point. All that being said, though, it's mostly a matter of preference, and of course almost any quality blade design will well suffice for most of what it will be called upon to perform.

So, all in all, I am indeed most impressed with the knife overall, think it's a very good value indeed for the price, and Willis, thank you so much for allowing this to find it's way into my hands, however temporarily!

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love getting in on this, but I'm not a senior member. I was looking at a couple from benchmade. If this sort of honor system gear testing is commonplace on here, I'll throw a couple knives into the pot. It would be cool too if a few of us could chip in and timeshare a Busse or Tops?

Erik, the knife has safely reached New Jersey on its way to you in Orlando, and taken longer to get a roughly equal distance, even in wrong direction, than anything I've sent in years.

-----------

[TABLE=width: 650]

[TR]

[TD=width: 10]spacer.gif[/TD]

[TD=width: 640]spacer.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]bullet_circle.gif[/TD]

[TD=class: mainTextbold]Processed through Sort Facility, September 09, 2011, 3:26 am, BELLMAWR, NJ 08031[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: mainTextbold]Processed through Sort Facility, September 07, 2011, 5:45 am, KNOXVILLE, TN 37950[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: mainTextbold]Accepted at origin sort facility, September 07, 2011, 5:45 am, KNOXVILLE, TN 37950[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: mainTextbold]Electronic Shipping Info Received, September 05, 2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

------------

- OS

I would love getting in on this, but I'm not a senior member. I was looking at a couple from benchmade. If this sort of honor system gear testing is commonplace on here, I'll throw a couple knives into the pot. It would be cool too if a few of us could chip in and timeshare a Busse or Tops?

I may throw a Busse in the ring for a passaround before too long. I'm just back from a deployment and am ridiculously behind in everything right now.

Of those that have seen the knife, any thoughts on buying one? I do not have a 350, but I have a 300, and it is my everyday carry. The knives are fantastic and extrememly durable.

Due to how pleased I have with been with my 0300, I preordered a ZT0561 the other day, which is a collaboration with Hinderer. If it is anything like the quality of the 0300 series, it should be a fantastic knife as well. Anyone else getting a 561?

Mav, I've got a 0302, a 350 and a 0551 (very similar to the 561's) and for EDC the 0350 is my favorite. To me the 0302 was too large to carry and the 0551 was more of a collector's piece. I prefer flippers and will probably end up with one of the 0561s. For the sake of reference here's a pic of all three side by side plus a Hinderer XM-18 and XM-24.

knives.jpg

Consider yourself in the waiting list, Guys send it to him next after everyone who spoke for it already

Mav, I've got a 0302, a 350 and a 0551 (very similar to the 561's) and for EDC the 0350 is my favorite. To me the 0302 was too large to carry and the 0551 was more of a collector's piece. I prefer flippers and will probably end up with one of the 0561s. For the sake of reference here's a pic of all three side by side plus a Hinderer XM-18 and XM-24.

Those XMs are nice. I have considered buying one or two, but they are a lot more than what I would want to pay for a knife I would never use. I do understand the collectability aspect however. I have noticed that the prices have been creeping down slightly on the XMs, primarily the 24. I wonder if it has anything to do with the ZT line coming out.

Have you guys ever seen the ZT 0350 CB? I wouldn't mind having one of those, but they are a b*tch to find.

SO...;) Has anyone cut themselves with it yet?:)

I don't consider a knife broke in until I cut myself a couple of times. :)

I am embarassed to admit that I cut myself twice within 10 minutes owning my Chris Reeve Professional Soldier.

Those XMs are nice. I have considered buying one or two, but they are a lot more than what I would want to pay for a knife I would never use. I do understand the collectability aspect however. I have noticed that the prices have been creeping down slightly on the XMs, primarily the 24. I wonder if it has anything to do with the ZT line coming out.

Have you guys ever seen the ZT 0350 CB? I wouldn't mind having one of those, but they are a b*tch to find.

Off topic Mav, but I love the new avatar. Unfortunately "Idiocracy" is looking more and more like a documentary these days.

Consider yourself in the waiting list, Guys send it to him next after everyone who spoke for it already

Looks like Erik will (finally) get it today. Sheesh, USPS.

Thank God it got out of Joysie, probably not even legal there or something...

------------

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: mainTextbold]Out for Delivery, September 12, 2011, 9:16 am, ORLANDO, FL 32837

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: mainTextbold]Sorting Complete, September 12, 2011, 9:06 am, ORLANDO, FL 32837[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: mainTextbold]Arrival at Unit, September 12, 2011, 2:41 am, ORLANDO, FL 32837[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: mainTextbold]Processed through Sort Facility, September 11, 2011, 8:13 pm, ORLANDO, FL 32824[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: mainTextbold]Processed through Sort Facility, September 09, 2011, 7:54 pm, BELLMAWR, NJ 08031[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: mainTextbold]Processed through Sort Facility, September 07, 2011, 5:45 am, KNOXVILLE, TN 37950[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: mainTextbold]Accepted at origin sort facility, September 07, 2011, 5:45 am, KNOXVILLE, TN 37950[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: mainTextbold]Electronic Shipping Info Received, September 05, 2011

--------

- OS

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Well the ZT finally arrived today and I've spent the last hour or so checking it out. All I can say is wow! What a beast! This is a fantastic blade. ZT definitely makes a quality blade and everything about it feels pretty solid.

Mac already gave a good summary of the knife so I'll just add my thoughts. There is no doubt that this knife could do just about anything I needed, if all else fails I could probably beat someone to death with it. I love the rapid deployment and it feels very balanced in my hand.

That being said, I still consider this to be more of a "utility" folder(as some have already mentioned) and I feel like it would be best served when camping/hiking/SHTF. It's not a blade that I personally would want to carry everyday. It's just simply too heavy and too big. Everything about this knife is BIG, or maybe wide is a better description. Since I already carry so much stuff in my pockets I really need something smaller and lighter.

The 350 is a knife I would definitely like to own for days when I'm going hiking or not carrying as much as I normally do.

now, who's next? Neil?

Just a note:

Check this returned Skyline to Kershaw compared to the ZT a few posts above, all the way to Oregon in two days, without going through New Jersey :P, sent same way as the one to Erik (First Class).

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: mainTextbold]Delivered, September 12, 2011, 7:18 am, TUALATIN, OR 97062[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: mainTextbold]Arrival at Unit, September 12, 2011, 4:10 am, TUALATIN, OR 97062[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: mainTextbold]Processed through Sort Facility, September 11, 2011, 11:11 pm, PORTLAND, OR 97218[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: mainTextbold]Processed through Sort Facility, September 10, 2011, 7:35 pm, KNOXVILLE, TN 37950[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: mainTextbold]Acceptance, September 10, 2011, 2:17 pm, KNOXVILLE, TN 37919[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: mainTextbold]Electronic Shipping Info Received, September 10, 2011[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

- OS

It makes me wonder if it really went to NJ or if that was a mistake....very strange.

No, I'm sure it did. The scans don't lie, since it's done by machines. :P I've had it happen before, including one that just sat for a week in an out of way state, took a postal inquiry to find it and free it! I wouldn't send anything without the delivery notification, on any class package.

I dropped it like all the other stuff I've sent, label already paid and printed. Both were dropped after hours at night at actual PO on same date as "electronic shipping info received". (another plus for PayPal seller account).

Note that one to you just sat all day on Tuesday the 6th, didn't even get out of town till next day. Probably just a bunch of temps on board, as regular folks were taking extended Labor Day vacation.

1st class is handled same as Priority, just that you can't use it over 13 oz, and over 13 oz supposed to be "handed" to clerk rather than dropped (slip in past line and dump on counter during working hours).

The only thing diff between the two shipments was that I insured the ZT, so maybe it got delayed so folks could decide if it was worth stealing. :)

All in all, though, over many years of using USPS for biz and personal, I have mostly only praise for the reliability. Never actually had one domestic mailing lost, generally 3 days or less to anywhere in the 48 if using First Class or Priority. The two days to Oregon was a day faster than I generally expect, though.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • 2 weeks later...

My turn to review. See post #26 for a good review. I will just hit the things that I liked.

I'm going to be comparing this to my EDC which is a Benchmade Presidio.

First off I defeinetly could see myself using the ZT as my EDC. Its actually slightly shorter and thinner than the Benchmade but is a little bit wider.

My thoughts in video cause I couldn't get good enough pics

Sorry iPhone video isn't as clear as id hoped. It is what it is, this was an experiment in technology for me :lol:

Video #1

Video #2

Edited by Lumber_Jack