You're asleep & backdoor glass breaks...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two back doors, one up and one down. I have an alarm and one panel is in my bedroom. I can see which door or window is open or which one was opened and then shut. All the bedrooms we use are in the same hall. My plan is to hold the hallway while the wife calls 911. She will have her pistol in case the perp gets past me. I have no intentions of clearing the house, but if someone crosses the hallway or enters the hallway bad things are goig to happen. I'll have a Glock 22 with spare mag and the wife will have a Ruger GP100 .357.

This is exactly the reason I have solid doors on the house, no glass to break. But, not wanting to spoil the fun....Glock 23 bedside with extra magazine, 100 lumen flashlight, and me in my underwear should be enough to send anyone running.

This is exactly the reason I have solid doors on the house, no glass to break. But, not wanting to spoil the fun....Glock 23 bedside with extra magazine, 100 lumen flashlight, and me in my underwear should be enough to send anyone running.

Lord knows they won't come through the window.

I have a 'NO GUNS Allowed' sign on my back door, so I don't have to worry about anyone coming in with a gun, right? I hear it works at resturants...

Glock and flashlight on the nightstand, 12 ga nearby. Kids know (and practice) to roll off their beds and cover on command, and my oldest knows combo to gun safe in his room if I need backup. We're all on the second floor, and anyone coming up the stairs probably won't survive. The alarm system will be going off (LOUD), and my rotweiler will get any fleeing bad guys on the way out - if she didn't on the way in. (She's sneaky like that.)

No glass doors in back; alarm goes off for opening front, back and garage doors. If upstairs in my office, SA EMP 9 mm on the desktop with two spare mags (no kids in house). Gun locker with heavy artillery near at hand. Situational awareness regarding location of spouse.

If in bed, SA 45 ACP in nightstand with two spare mags, FN Police Shotgun 12ga on spouse's side of bed up against the wall, loaded with four rounds mixed 4-6 birdshot followed with three rounds reduced recoil 00 buckshot.

[if I'm out of town, shotgun is primary for spouse; at night she locks the bedroom door and sets the alarm for the whole interior of the house from a keypad in the bedroom. Upon initiation of a threat, with the alarm blaring, spouse has rolled off the back side of the bed, dialed 911 and thrown the phone down on the bed, and has picked up the shotgun to cover the bedroom door, where she remains until the police arrive, using the phone to keep the dispatcher up to date with play by play. If the adversary tries the door, she stands pat, screaming a warning to the adversary. If the adversary forces the door, she starts shooting until he falls. Spouse plans to remain in a purely defensive mode.]

If I am in town and if an entry and attack is initiated, I'm the skirmish line, he's got to get past me. Two at least in the chest and one in the head, given the opportunity. Spouse dials 911 for alert and play by play to dispatcher, down on the backside of the bed with the shotgun covering the bedroom door. I'm communicating heavily and loudly, as I don't want a friendly fire incident with her shooting me at the bedroom door.

I'll advance into the hallway, communicating with spouse all along, but I won't be hunting him in the house, as we'll let the police handle that if they get there in time. Our town is relatively prompt and reliable and we're not in this alone.

If he flees prior to police arrival, and if I haven't already wet myself and if spouse isn't already screaming and crying, I may follow him out to id and mark the car with a few rounds (as I imagine he'll still be a threat to me with his or an accomplice's weapon out the car window). It all would be situationally dependent.

After the threat is dispatched, ground all weapons and hands-off them prior to police entry. Spouse still on phone with dispatcher giving play by play, with location and condition of friendlies, adversaries and status of weapons until police appear.

After weapons are secured, police get fullest and most accurate description possible of adversaries so they can confront & kill or catch & detain them, if they are not already dead on the living room floor.

At this point we will all surely still be very distraught, at which time I will request an attorney -- in person to the police and dialed up on the phone. Will request a once-over for spouse and myself if rescue squad/EMT was dispatched.

Also, phone the pastor, an unshakeable friend, family members, the insurance company, and serve-pro to get the blood out of the carpet, to paint over the birdshot and repair the bullet & buckshot holes in the walls and door-frames.

This is the plan as discussed and practiced with spouse. I am open to modifying this plan based in part on the sage advice of those more expert than me.

Edited by QuietDan

I keep three guns by my bed: My carry gun, my nightstand gun, and the wife's carry gun. Between the back door and me are both my childrens' bedrooms, so I have to leave mine. The wife can can 911 with her gun in hand while I go see what is going on and protect the kids.

Dan, I ain't an expert but I wouldn't waste valuable magazine space and time with birdshot.

Jeff, Thanks, and I hear you. I'm prepared to modify the plan. This came about in three-way discussions between me, spouse and security folks, and sure, it's a compromise.

Spouse is small, and too heavy a recoil is hard on her. Personally, she's stated she's more interested in stopping the threat than executing deadly force. That's why the first few rounds in her shotgun are more deterrence, make the bad guy stop and go away versus just flat killing him where he stands. The follow-up rounds of 00 buck would be there for fatal shots if the first few don't end the threat.

And, it's an easy fix to change the mix, just eject the birdshot and replace with buckshot.

Guest bkelm18
Have you looked into the Blackhawk recoil reducing stocks? It's also adjustable for the length of pull for smaller folks.

SpecOps Adjustable Shotgun Stock - BLACKHAWK!

Or maybe a 20 gauge would be an option if that didn't work.

20ga would be good to look into. I forget the exact percentages but 20ga is something like 80% as effective as 12ga with half the recoil (or something along those lines). The Knoxx stocks are good too. Federal also has some low recoil buckshot. Birdshot is bad juju. It may cause massive flesh wounds but you're looking to incapacitate him, not make him look ugly(er).

I would get up and fumble around trying to get my shoes on, then go to the closet to get a mop and some lysol so I can start cleaning up the mess. Then the next morning take my 85lb pit to the vet to make sure he didn't get some nasty disease from the snack he had the night before.;)

Regarding previous suggestions: Recoil reducing stock, 20 guage, reduced recoil buckshot: Thank you very much and these alternatives will be considered!

It's not the plan, it's the planning! I'm glad to mull over these considerations, it makes the plan better.