You're asleep & backdoor glass breaks...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grab the M11, hit the hall if no ones there im holding position and having the wife call 911 unless im 100% positive no one is upstairs then in that case im holding position watching the stairs until the cops arrive. In the mean time if someone is dumb enough to cross my path they better hope they got a faster trigger pull cause im going old school triple tap. 2 body 1 head.

Two glocks, a Taurus 38 and 25 acres to bury the survivors.

Man, that's just mean...

Wife has a bedside choice - .38 snubby or .40 carbine with flashlight/laser and 30 round mag. I have a bedside vest with 1911 and extra mags, M1 carbine or AR. If I have to get out of bed, though, things will get nasty.

Edited by Mark@Sea
  • Administrator
Grab the M11, hit the hall if no ones there im holding position and having the wife call 911 unless im 100% positive no one is upstairs then in that case im holding position watching the stairs until the cops arrive. In the mean time if someone is dumb enough to cross my path they better hope they got a faster trigger pull cause im going old school triple tap. 2 body 1 head.

Your posts read like a Mack Bolan novel.

Guest justluck
This is exactly the reason I have solid doors on the house, no glass to break. But, not wanting to spoil the fun....Glock 23 bedside with extra magazine, 100 lumen flashlight, and me in my underwear should be enough to send anyone running.
Originally Posted by TNFF319; Lord knows they won't come through the window.

UncleJak; I would just hang a sign on all the windows that says "OUT OF ORDER" then they have to use the metal door and it would be impenetrable.

Now that's funny right there! And, it would probably work.

Edited by justluck

First stop my wife from getting up and checking on it without her weapon, she has a very bad habit of doing that when we hear things go bump in the night, then grab either my carry gun (pf9) or my 12ga loaded with 00buck and flashlight while she calls 911. If that fails she backs me up with her .38 snub. I'm more like some previous posts "stop the treat first, then shoot to kill if necessary" I've been told by many LEO's and such that carefully placed shots are not usually a sign of someone that was scared of their life being in danger..........just a thought after I saw the "triple tap" post. Of course this may be due to my 38yrs of being "laid back, easy going"

I've been told by many LEO's and such that carefully placed shots are not usually a sign of someone that was scared of their life being in danger

Interesting take and makes a certain amount of sense, I guess - although that might come into play more if you have to shoot in self defense in a more public setting. TN state law is written so that you are 'assumed' to have a reasonable fear of death or serious, bodily injury if a person breaks into your house while you are there so I would think that the burden of proof that you may not have been would be on the prosecution (although I am certainly no lawyer.). Of course, I guess if a DA really wants to push it he/she might use extremely well placed shots to try and 'refute' that assumption.

Guest Hillbilly Dan

A 1911, Sig P220 on the nite stand and a 12 ga. Coachgun beside the bed. My AR 15 with a loaded mag nearby is in the closet. In my wifes side night stand is Judge with double O's . In the back of the house where the back door is are two dogs who do barke. My bedroom is near the front door. I sleep very little. I go to the range weekly and practice for just such a time. Come on in and try it someone. You will have a bad day I promise.

Even if you break the glass on the backdoor...the door won't open..keyed deadbolt. If the dooe is battered down I'll know it. If the perp crawls through the window he lands in the aluminum cans and other stuff. Surviving that he must use one of the trails from the kitchen to the bedroom, probably slipping on a fresh hairball, and have fought his way through the hanging clothes in the hall...this if the attack cat decides he's a good guy. After the clothes there's the SKS.

I'm not taking the chance with the CZ70...I might wound him. By the time he makes it to the bedroom I'll be in reasonable fear.

I've been told by many LEO's and such that carefully placed shots are not usually a sign of someone that was scared of their life being in danger..........just a thought after I saw the "triple tap" post.

You are in immediate danger of death or great bodily harm or you aren’t. In your house against an intruder, that won’t be much of an issue (but could be under the right circumstances). I’ve been in shootings and always have to smile when I see the “shot placement” remarks. Yes, that is what’s desired, but being able to do that when the adrenalin is at a level you may have never experienced before is what’s in question. Some people will be able to do it; some won’t. You can’t practice for that level of adrenalin, but you can practice Point Instinct Shooting, and you should.

Based on my experience and what I have seen go to trial I think we tend to worry too much about what a DA will take to trial in what we perceive as a “Justified Shoot”. I’m not worried about what caliber I’m using, what firearm, what ammunition, or where the shots went in the bad guy. Shooting people with guns kills them, and we can’t be expected to “shot to wound”. We shoot to stop the threat and we continue until the threat is over. The amount we shoot could very easily come into question.

Every shooting will be looked at by people that have nothing but time on their side. First the cops at the scene, then the Detectives investing the case, then the DA and their investigators, then possibly a Judge or Jury.

Every shooting is different.

What you need to do is look out for yourself. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again…. You can listen to all the “Don’t say anything without an attorney” folks you like. And that’s good advice, however… if you are going to do that at 1AM I would strongly suggest you have the ability to contact an attorney at 1AM. Not being able to talk to your attorney until 8AM could mean you going to trial. If I have a clean shoot, I want to make a statement to those cops at the scene and the Detectives that come there. Those guys have more influence over the DA than you could possibly imagine; I want them on my side when presenting my case. At 1AM your future and the future of your family is on the line; have a plan for that.

I would say that getting an HCP, practicing, and making plans for what happens before abd after a shooting is taken pretty lightly by most people.

Okay if the rear window breaks in the middle of the night here is what would happen:

We sleep with the bedroom door closed and locked

The pit bull mix instantly goes absolutely nuts then the lab starts barking. Both dogs sleep in the bedroom with my wife and I.

When they both get going they sound like they want human blood.

I would roll out of bed pull on my glasses grab the glock 21 load a mag rack the slide grab the flashlight.

Toss my wife the phone tell her to go to the bathroom and dial 911.

Should the bad guy not be dissuaded by the dogs I would announce loudly I am armed and we are calling 911.

If they come through the door the pit bull mix would chew on them I would be forced to shoot because i am in fear for my wife's life and my own. My pit mix is very loyal and I have no doubt she would die trying to protect my wife and I. the lab is retarded and would just bark very loudly.

The pit bull mix scared me one night and she loves me. I was not feeling well and left the bedroom to use the guest bathroom the pit mix followed me and she fell asleep on the couch. I came out of the bathroom and stubbed my toe because I had turned off the light. It was pitch black and all I heard was a deep rumbling growl that sounded like it came from a hound from hell. the growling was getting louder and getting closer. I took a step back and flipped on the light and called out to the dog. She was halfway across the room bristled up from the back of head to the base of her tail. she saw me heard my voice and instantly started wagging her tail and wanted to play fetch the football. I really believe I was very close to getting eaten by my own dog that night. It was almost as terrifying as hearing a shot gun rack in the dark. The funny thing is we went back to bed she curled up and went right back to sleep but I had a massive adrenaline dump in my system and could not go back to sleep. She is a black dog and trying to see her in the dark is liking trying to see a shadow in a dark mineshaft at midnight with no lights. so now if I get up in the middle of the night I always turn on a light and leave it on until I know where the dog is.

Guest bkelm18
Okay if the rear window breaks in the middle of the night here is what would happen:

We sleep with the bedroom door closed and locked

The pit bull mix instantly goes absolutely nuts then the lab starts barking. Both dogs sleep in the bedroom with my wife and I.

When they both get going they sound like they want human blood.

I would roll out of bed pull on my glasses grab the glock 21 load a mag rack the slide grab the flashlight.

Toss my wife the phone tell her to go to the bathroom and dial 911.

Should the bad guy not be dissuaded by the dogs I would announce loudly I am armed and we are calling 911.

If they come through the door the pit bull mix would chew on them I would be forced to shoot because i am in fear for my wife's life and my own. My pit mix is very loyal and I have no doubt she would die trying to protect my wife and I. the lab is retarded and would just bark very loudly.

The pit bull mix scared me one night and she loves me. I was not feeling well and left the bedroom to use the guest bathroom the pit mix followed me and she fell asleep on the couch. I came out of the bathroom and stubbed my toe because I had turned off the light. It was pitch black and all I heard was a deep rumbling growl that sounded like it came from a hound from hell. the growling was getting louder and getting closer. I took a step back and flipped on the light and called out to the dog. She was halfway across the room bristled up from the back of head to the base of her tail. she saw me heard my voice and instantly started wagging her tail and wanted to play fetch the football. I really believe I was very close to getting eaten by my own dog that night. It was almost as terrifying as hearing a shot gun rack in the dark. The funny thing is we went back to bed she curled up and went right back to sleep but I had a massive adrenaline dump in my system and could not go back to sleep. She is a black dog and trying to see her in the dark is liking trying to see a shadow in a dark mineshaft at midnight with no lights. so now if I get up in the middle of the night I always turn on a light and leave it on until I know where the dog is.

Just out of curiosity, why do you not leave your gun loaded?

• Administrator
First stop my wife from getting up and checking on it without her weapon, she has a very bad habit of doing that when we hear things go bump in the night, then grab either my carry gun (pf9) or my 12ga loaded with 00buck and flashlight while she calls 911. If that fails she backs me up with her .38 snub. I'm more like some previous posts "stop the treat first, then shoot to kill if necessary" I've been told by many LEO's and such that carefully placed shots are not usually a sign of someone that was scared of their life being in danger..........just a thought after I saw the "triple tap" post. Of course this may be due to my 38yrs of being "laid back, easy going"

Well placed shots are the sign of a person who kept their wits and didn't endanger others with inaccurate shooting.

I never meant for what I stated to become a debate on shooting abilities. However the everyday home/gun owner, unless highly trained by either the military or law enforcement, are not going to be calm, cool and collected enough to make well placed shots. Why else would "safety rounds", those that won't pass through walls, be so popular. I would protect my family and myself at all costs but I'm man enough to admit that I would be scared sh****SS and not sure my hand would be steady enough to "triple tap" the perp.

Guest justluck
I never meant for what I stated to become a debate on shooting abilities. However the everyday home/gun owner, unless highly trained by either the military or law enforcement, are not going to be calm, cool and collected enough to make well placed shots. Why else would "safety rounds", those that won't pass through walls, be so popular. I would protect my family and myself at all costs but I'm man enough to admit that I would be scared sh****SS and not sure my hand would be steady enough to "triple tap" the perp.

I'd probably be beset by a very high pucker factor myself.

"Safety rounds/fragable ammo is popular because that kind of ammo is a good idea for home defense period. It's not simply a matter of concern over poor shot placement/accuracy - you can shoot the bad guy and hit him and still have reason to be concerned about over-penetration. What if you shoot the guy in the shoulder or arm and it's a through and through and then through the window behind him?

Anyway; I'm not sure that anybody is "calm, cool and collected" when in the middle of a fight for their lives; including soldiers and law enforcement officers. Training WILL help you do what has to be done despite not being calm, cool and collected and one does not have to be or have have had LEO or Military training - there are many civilian schools out there (often the same ones that train military and LEOs, that can help you be prepared for the situation we all hope we never actually have to face.

"Safety rounds/fragable ammo is popular because that kind of ammo is a good idea for home defense period.

Safety slugs were developed for Sky Marshals. It was not intended as a self defense round. They were then are still are today one of the worst possible rounds for self defense. They are application specific. They may not have the ability to stop the threat and some have trouble passing through thick clothing.

They are popular today because there was a move to outlaw them for civilian use. Some people think that anything that is outlawed must be devastating. The move to outlaw them came about because they were called “The Surgeons Nightmareâ€. They fragmented and sliced up internal organs and it was tough for Surgeons to repair.

Safety slugs were developed for Sky Marshals. It was not intended as a self defense round. They were then are still are today one of the worst possible rounds for self defense. They are application specific. They may not have the ability to stop the threat and some have trouble passing through thick clothing.

They are popular today because there was a move to outlaw them for civilian use. Some people think that anything that is outlawed must be devastating. The move to outlaw them came about because they were called “The Surgeons Nightmareâ€. They fragmented and sliced up internal organs and it was tough for Surgeons to repair.

I've never heard before or read anywhere (other than your comments above) that that their popularity has anything to do with a move to "outlaw" such rounds? I still suspect that their popularity is based on legitimate concerns about over- penetration; maybe I'm wrong about that, I don't know.

Every type/caliber of ammo has it's strengths and weaknesses. When it comes to effectiveness of one type of ammo compared to another; it may well be that frangible ammo is less effective than FMJ or JHP but I've never read anything that would lead me to believe that frangible can't get the job done.

In close quarters such as inside your home; especially where other innocents are in the home (or you are in a neighborhood with other houses nearby), the danger of over-penetration is a very real problem that people need to think about...maybe frangible ammo isn't "the" answer but I do think it's a viable answer.