1993 Remington 870 sold as new

TLRMADE

I've been meaning to write something about this for a while now. At first I really didn't want to stir anything up but every time I look at the shotgun it really chaps my ass!!! I will leave the shop that I purchased the gun from anonymous for now. This past spring I wanted to get an 870 for Turkey Hunting and just a good shotgun in general. I first checked at D&T Arms where I do all of my business and they did not have what I was looking for. I then went to a different gun shop and they had an all camo Remington 870 "New". I bought the shotgun and shot a turkey the next morning with it! I then got on the website and started looking for a longer barrel and noticed that my shotgun was nowhere to be found. I then googled the shotgun and could not find anything that resembled my 870. I then called Remington and gave them the serial number and they told me that my gun was manufactured in 1993! I just bought this gun as new! I then called the gun shop back and asked them to verify that the gun that was sold to me was new and not "used". I was then called back and informed that the gun was in fact a "new" gun. This means that the gun had to sit on the shelf in the gun shop since 1993! This gun could not be sold as new even if it was taken home and put in the safe!!? I mean the shotgun shoots good!? It just really frustrates me that I was sold a shotgun that was manufactured in 93 as a new gun! I would almost love to go back and get my money back and purchase a shotgun from somewhere else just in spite of what happened. I know it's probably a long shot?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that is pretty crappy. It's pretty far fetched to think it's been sitting in inventory for almost two decades.

On the other hand, it shoots good, you were happy with it before this happened and if you shot a turkey with it the next day, it obviously is bringing you good fortune. Who knows, maybe the Lady of the Lake has been saving this sword just for you. If it were me, I'd sit down with it and take a long hard look at it. If I liked the gun itself, I'd keep it and maybe do a little trash talking as far as the store that sold it. If you're not really in love with it, I'd raise all manner of a fuss with the store. Depending on the store's attitude, the BBB might even get a call. BUT, seriously, If you like the gun and it does everything you need/want it to, I'd personally let it go and keep the gun........after I tell everyone where I got it.:)

Guest Bronker

I'd like to hear more regarding how the gun store treated you. If they were sassy and / or any less than professional and supportive, I would plaster their identity in excess, here and otherwise.

How did they handle your call / case?

It does happen.

Something similiar happened to me but I didn't realize it until about 25 years later. Bought a Ruger Security Six back in 1984 which was about 2 years before the GP100 was introduced. A couple of years ago I was on the Ruger website just looking through the manual and product history section. Just for fun I looked up my serial #. Made in late 1975. I had no idea that it was 9 years old at the time. Nothing was said at the time of purchase. It was ordered by the shop for me. Not sure if they knew it or not. Probably not since they had to order it so it wasn't sitting around in their shop all that time.

Same thing might have been the case with the shop you got the shotgun from. I'm doubting anyone is going to let a firearm sit on their shelf all that time. Probably that old when they got it from their distributor.

Did it come with the box, owners manual etc? Did it appear to have ever been used?

Made in '93 - does it have a trigger lock? It would be a plus to me to not have that.

Honestly, what difference does it make? It's a shotgun, not a used car. Take care of it and your grandchildren will be using it.

Guest bkelm18

Ditto. If it was NIB and looks NIB, I don't see age being a big player here. As others have said, a lot of the older 870s are of better quality than those today. Just something to think about, at what age of a NIB firearm would you consider it appropriate to lower the price due to age?

I am with most of the other posters. You obviously bought the shotgun because you liked the features it had, and probably were pleased with the pric you paid. As an addd bonus, it performed the job you bought it for. Sounds like you have nothing to complain about.

Now, as to how an 18 year old shotgun came to be in that gun store and sold to you as new, that is another issue that you need to ponder on. While it is unlikely, it might just be that the shop had it in stock for all of those years, and thereofore, the shotgun is new. More than likely what happened, was a distributor had a quantity of that model shotgun in inventory and they didn't sell well. The distributor then offered a discount on these shotguns, perhaps as a package deal, to your gun shop, hence the gunshop taking possession of a new 18 year old gun. It happens all the time. Perhaps not to that all that often with weapons of that age, but it is a lot more common than you would think.

I would love to find an unsold late '60's vintage 10/22 with walnut stock and metal butt plate! Even the pre-2008 10/22s with metal trigger groups are considered more desirable than the current ones.

I know I'm talking apples and oranges here, but my point is, as others stated, you likely got a higher quality firearm.

Guns don't have an expiration date on them, nor does their value depreciate with age. If it was in fact unfired in the box with all the paperwork, the gun store did nothing wrong. I'd love to find a pre '64 Winchester model 70 in "new" condition at a gun store!

Guest bkelm18
Guns don't have an expiration date on them, nor does their value depreciate with age.

Well, to a point I think. If the particular gun has been superseded by better variations, charging full NIB price wouldn't be appropriate. For example, would you pay $500+ for a Gen 1 or Gen 2 Glock when you could get a Gen 3 or 4 for the same price?

Guest GunTroll
Well, to a point I think. If the particular gun has been superseded by better variations, charging full NIB price wouldn't be appropriate. For example, would you pay $500+ for a Gen 1 or Gen 2 Glock when you could get a Gen 3 or 4 for the same price?

I think of the 3 pin blackhawk rugers when you posted that. They are more desired pre-mod than after a factory mod. But those Gen one Glocks will come around one day too I bet. Hard to predict future value with firearms. Look at all those cheap 22 from years ago that the baby boomers grew up with and prior generations. Those things are drawing big bucks when compared to original retail price. Probably trickier than the stock market ;) !

Guest bkelm18
I think of the 3 pin blackhawk rugers when you posted that. They are more desired pre-mod than after a factory mod. But those Gen one Glocks will come around one day too I bet. Hard to predict future value with firearms. Look at all those cheap 22 from years ago that the baby boomers grew up with and prior generations. Those things are drawing big bucks when compared to original retail price. Probably trickier than the stock market ;) !

Oh no doubt some have intrinsic collectors value, but just as an example, a NIB Gen 1 or 2 Glock is not worth the same monetarily as a Gen 3 or 4 to me. I suppose it's an individual preference as well.

Edited: Should have said not the same monetarily to me.

Edited by bkelm18

You got a new gun, no matter when it was made. I have sold a couple of unfired guns to stores that sold them as new guns, and that was OK by me: they were new guns, even if used in the sense that someone owned them, and I would gladly buy such a weapon and pay for it as if it were new. If I recognized its age, I would try for a deal, but thats just the business.

I wouldn't pay a quarter for the lot of them. He's talking about an 870 shotgun, which I'm not sure has changed much. Anyway, wouldn't you notice a difference like that at the time of purchase?

Edited by gregintenn
He's talking about an 870 shotgun, which I'm not sure has changed much

Unfortunately, they have gone to polymer action assembly (at least on some models). I am not sure how long ago, but my latest has it.

You got a new gun, no matter when it was made. I have sold a couple of unfired guns to stores that sold them as new guns, and that was OK by me: they were new guns, even if used in the sense that someone owned them, and I would gladly buy such a weapon and pay for it as if it were new. If I recognized its age, I would try for a deal, but thats just the business.

If it has been sold, then it should be listed "as new", but not new.

I don't have a lot of issues with the store selling this one as new, but they should have made you aware that it had been around that long and that variation had been discontinued.

I then got on the website and started looking for a longer barrel and noticed that my shotgun was nowhere to be found

The 870 Wingmaster barrels are interchangeable with all 870s (just make sure you watch the chamber length). IIRC, the SP and Express barrels are also interchangeable (again, be careful about chamber length). Probably not going to match your camo pattern, but will help with functionality.

Edited by quietguy
punctuation
Guest bkelm18
I wouldn't pay a quarter for the lot of them. He's talking about an 870 shotgun, which I'm not sure has changed much. Anyway, wouldn't you notice a difference like that at the time of purchase?

:rolleyes: Like I said... I was using the Glocks as an example, I know he's talking about an 870. I was simply stating that age can effect value sometimes. Notice what difference? In the 870? Like you said, they haven't changed much, so no, I doubt I would know its exact age off hand.

Just a side note, but I turkey hunt with a 1978 model 870 Wingmaster, it is older than I am. Of course I have replaced the barrel and the put on a black sure-shot stock on it (still have the originals). If you like the gun and it shoots well then I would be happy, and would think about checking the date of manufacture. I don't know of any gun store that checks that before selling a "new" gun they get.

Anyway hope the gun treats you well.

This isn't a big deal at all. Many manufacturers carry inventory in warehouse for years at time. Ruger used to be pretty funny about it....4 or 5 years in some cases. S&W does it...I have a 442-2 that cataloged as 10 years old before they sold it. Remington has done it before with many of their guns also...Nylon Apache models sold through K-mart were a decade old.

You were sold a new gun.