Quad-Rails for my M4

Got my Command Arms quad-rail forearm and vertical fore-grip today and got them installed. Doing so without an armorer's wrench was not easy, I need to get one of those if I ever decide to take the rails off. It took me and a friend almost 20 minutes to finally get them on correctly. Now I just need to get a backup rear iron sight, EOTech, and a tactical light for it and I'm set for whenever zombies attack... (=

Before:

Bushmaster_XM15_E2S_M4_Carbine.jpg

After:

Bushmaster_XM15_E2S_M4_Carbine_with_Rails.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew I forgot something... an ERGO pistol grip. Thanks Reef.

Mike - A lot of people find the stock plastic pistol grip on AR-15's uncomfortable. Personally, I don't think they're that bad, but it's hard to beat the ERGO grips IMO. And replacing the stock grip is a good idea anyway, even if you keep the same style grip, you can get the trapdoor version with a storage compartment inside it.

OK ... stupid noob question here. What's up with the proliferation of vertical foregrips? I've never fired a weapon with one, but it just looks awkward. Someone enlighten me.

OK ... stupid noob question here. What's up with the proliferation of vertical foregrips? I've never fired a weapon with one, but it just looks awkward. Someone enlighten me.

The vertical foregrip gives you a better, more comfortable hold of the weapon. It also aids in keeping better control of it when it's close to your body like when looking around corners. I know that it looks like it wouldn't be as comfortable as a regular hold on the gun, but it is.

How were you and your friend trying to install them? My brother helped me put mine on.. put the rifle's butt on the floor (barrel pointing toward the cieling), he pushed the retaining collar down, I popped out the factory handguards and installed the aftermarket guards, and it was done in less than a minute.

How were you and your friend trying to install them? My brother helped me put mine on.. put the rifle's butt on the floor (barrel pointing toward the cieling), he pushed the retaining collar down, I popped out the factory handguards and installed the aftermarket guards, and it was done in less than a minute.

Wish mine was that easy:rolleyes:

I put a free floated rail on mine. We took the barrel off and the gas tube out. We had to cut off the delta ring and the foreward handguard stay. We installed the front part of the quad rail mount "donut" and put the gas tube through it. We then put the barrel and gas tube back onto the upper. We then put the upper quad rail and lower rail on the upper. After we did all this, the holes didn't want to line up in the front "donut" and it took a few minutes with loosening up and trying to roatate everything to line up. It's good now that I've done it, but halfway through the installation, I'd almost wished that I got the quad rail that replaced the factory handguards.

Same basic method, but the delta ring was really tight for some reason. We had a lot of trouble getting it to actually stay pulled down to snap the quad-rails in place.

• 4 months later...

+1 on the Hogues, I have a set on every AR I own. I do keep one plastic grip as I painted it woodland green so I can change the furniture if I want to.

If anyone else is planning on adding free float rails, Yankee Hill Mfg is the group to buy from. Quality is top notch, I haven't seen anything special about the Daniel Defense or other mfgs that make their rails worth the 300% markup. The only thing you don't get is the little white numbers on the rail which look stupid to me.

120.00 for carbine length, 128.00 for mid length YHM vs 275.00 and 310.00 for the DD rails. You do the math.

http://www.yhm.net/store/forearms.html