What's the Story on Kel Tec Triggers ?

Guest Big Sexy Glock

Guest Big Sexy Glock

Lately I have a growing interest in a Kel Tec .380 or .32 of some type for conceal carry.

But I've heard some negative feedback on the Kel Tec trigger.

So what's the deal on this ?

Are Kel Tec triggers crappy ... If so, why ?

Are they double action only ?

Thanks for any input

BSG

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Yes they are DOA but I wouldn't call them crappy. They just have a really long pull. That's kind of something I want in a pocket pistol. I have a P3AT and couldn't be more pleased with it.

Guest nj.piney

the pt 11 has a long trigger pull, but controllable,the pf 9 has a long trigger pull, but smoother than the p 11. the p 32 has a long trigger pull but seems almost as smooth as the pf9. the main reason for the long trigger pull is that this is the only safety. all are double action only.my opinon only .

bkelm i didnt mean to copy your post ,i was posting at the same time.

Edited by nj.piney
slow typer.
save your money and buy the new Ruger LCP.... it's alot better gun then the Keltec and retails about $330

Have you actually held one in your hand? I have. I was ok, but I wasnt blown away.

What makes it "better" than the P3AT?

Im sure Ruger will sell tons of them, but just like all the hype around the SR9, I feel that the LCP wont live up to all the expectations, and will be adequate at best.

PS.

Welcome to the forum! Always nice to add another member that works in the industry.

PM a mod or Admin about supporting this forum as an authorized vendor :D

we saw them at the shotshow, and ordered them that first Sat morning. Our first order came in last week, we only got 5 guns, they were all gone in about 3 hours. I kept one, and have fired about 350 rounds with no problem. I cant say that for the first week of release for the 3at... want to see one I keep mine at the shop.

we saw them at the shotshow, and ordered them that first Sat morning. Our first order came in last week, we only got 5 guns, they were all gone in about 3 hours. I kept one, and have fired about 350 rounds with no problem. I cant say that for the first week of release for the 3at... want to see one I keep mine at the shop.

Yeah, I guess I wasnt as blown away as some when we looked at them in Vegas.

Like I said, Im sure Ruger will sell a ton. Your experience selling 4 so quickly backs that up.

I guess the Ruger or Kel-Tec will do the job in a pinch, but I still wouldnt take 10 of them over my 340PD. 5 shots of 357mag out of a J Frame that weights the same as a Kel-Tec .380 is a better solution in my book :D

Guest tadams

I've owned a PF9 and presently the P3. The longer trigger doesn't bother me, at all. Just keep in mind that you also can't "short pull" it, like a glock and some other autos. You need to pull all the way back for each round fired. This is especially so with the PF9. Break in times are shorter for the chromed models. Less "fluff and buff" on the chromed, too. (generally)

Use the forums at ktog.org as your guide. There really are some genuinely helpful folks and tech reads within those pages. Plus, the durn things are just fun as all get out to tinker with.

A little off topic, but The concealment of the P3 is stellar. I'm a little larger than most fellers, so it fits in a wallet holster or pocket holster in every single pair of britches I own.

I, eventually, want a J frame, too... but I can honestly say that with the hot season approaching, the P3 would be my carry option of choice in almost every circumstance. Even if I had a J wheel at the ready, I would probably choose the P3 more than half of the time.

Edited by tadams
added hyperlink
Guest Big Sexy Glock

Use the forums at ktog.org as your guide. There really are some genuinely helpful folks and tech reads within those pages. Plus, the durn things are just fun as all get out to tinker with.

Hey, thanks for the link my friend.

I like it

BSG

Guest Big Sexy Glock

I appreciate all the feedback guys .. Thanks

I now understand why the Double Action Only . . makes perfect sense to me to have that long, heavy, slow trigger when its your only safety.

Now I just need to rent one at Coal Creek Armory and test drive this trigger for myself.

BSG

Hey look, its Phil from GGS! Frankie and Michele say "hi!"

save your money and buy the new Ruger LCP.... it's alot better gun then the Keltec and retails about $330
Guest Boomhower
Now I just need to rent one at Coal Creek Armory and test drive this trigger for myself.

If you can't find one at CCA, give us a holler. There are several of us around here (Knoxville and Chatt.) that could hook you up for a shoot before you buy. You never know, you might even find someone that has both the P3At and the LCP so you could kill 2 birds with one stone. I'd advise you to try both before you buy.

Guest Big Sexy Glock

Ok,

Thanks Boomhower, I appreciate that.

Me and the wife did drop in Coal Creek Armory this past Thursday and decided to try out several different .22's and 9mm's for rent.

Oddly enough as much as I am wanting to shoot the Kel Tecs we never got around to them in the rental case, though Coal Creek did have both a .32 and .380 Kel Tec for rent. We just got distracted with everything else on the Gun Buffet.

But we kept it mostly on the .22 and 9 mainly because CCA sure bumps up the rental ammo prices, but that was to be expected.

This trip was the first time my wife had ever shot a pistol. Before Thursday, she had never shot anything but a .22 rifle.

I assured her anything 9mm and below she could handle with no problems.

And I was correct she ended up really enjoying shooting the 9 and we knew the .22's were a given.

I think we ended up shooting about 12 different guns.

On the 9's we went with the Glock 19 and a Ruger SR9 which I really liked and shot well. I shot the SR9 a little high but was able to group nicely with it. Really like the trigger on the SR9 also. Shot a Beretta 92 and some type of CZ model.

On the plinkers we shot a Browning Buckmark, Ruger Mark II , a S&W Titanium wheel gun. But the one that stole the show for me and my wife was Kimbers Rimfire Target 1911 ... WOW ! that thing was accuarte for both of us. And heaven knows I am way too poor to start falling in love with Kimbers ... [but I think I did].

A very nice fellow shooter named Matt let us shoot his Walther G22 Bullpup with Scope and Laser. Nice rifle with extreme accuracy but neither of us cared for the ventilation right there at your face.

I also shot Matt's 1911 Kimber .45ACP {wifey said she wasnt ready for the .45}

The Kimbers sure were nice , my first time shooting them.

I also rented the Glock 32 {couldnt get wifey to tackle the .357Sig} but curiosity got to me.

I loved that thing. The muzzle flash and extra BOOM sure made it a fun one to shoot and turned out I was more accurate with it than the Glock19 in 9mm. I would have never thought that.

All in all we had a dang blast and stayed there almost 4 hours.

I will keep you in mind on the P3At.

I definitely need to shoot a Kel Tec before buying as I usually dont fare well with long, slow, heavy triggers.

BSG

Guest Boomhower
And heaven knows I am way too poor to start falling in love with Kimbers ... [but I think I did].........................I also shot Matt's 1911 Kimber .45ACP {wifey said she wasnt ready for the .45}

The Kimbers sure were nice , my first time shooting them.

Sounds to me like you will be dropping the thoughts of the P3AT altogether pretty soon :lol:. That's the best and worst part of buying guns. If your a man on a budget like myself, you can buy this gun for X amount now, or you can save for a few more weeks and buy this gun that cost a little more, or save a little while longer and buy the gun you really really want. I find it easier for me to start at the bottom of my list and work my way up. That way I get something that I want now and can use until I can finally save up enough to buy my dream.