Open carry triggers business to post gun buster.

Guest kirkosaurus

There's a time and place for everything, but the time and place for open carry rarely comes along. Everyone is CERTAINLY within their right to do so, I will not say nay against it, but it's idiocy to me. Why start a confrontation, scare the sheep, or cause uneducated people to make rash decisions. What forward movement have you made there? I'm first to admit I have been and will continue to be a touch hypocritical on open carry as I will [as inconspicuous as possible] switch to open carry when I sense a tremor in the Force, but NEVER inside a business. Really guys, what good does it do? Your right to do so set aside for a moment, what GOOD does open carry do for anyone? IMHO .....none.

Yes, hyporcritical indeed. Caster, you have been involved in many OC discussions in past threads that clearly explain to you the benefits of OC yet you continue to ask this question. Either you are purposely trying to stir up crap, you have a short term memory or you are plain stupid. I can't figure out which one.

One guy, the infamous Voldemort, was responsible for all Costco stores in TN posting.

- OS

Very strange: was re-reading thread, and some mod had changed "Kwik" to "Voldemort" way back when. I had to look up who Voldemort even is.

Very strange: was re-reading thread, and some mod had changed "Kwik" to "Voldemort" way back when. I had to look up who Voldemort even is.

That's how it read when I first read the thread. Must have been changed early on, by a Harry Potter fan. (had to google that one myself)

Ahh I see, I just went if OS posting "Kwik". I'm not sure you're still not full of #### but you're right this time ;)

I'm always right. Ask my wife....

Ah, thanks for sussing this out guys ... I didn't realize TGO had any silly substitution stuff activated.

- OS

Guest kirkosaurus
Well, I'll help you figure it out ole boy. Mark me in your book as stupid. Almost as stupid as mixing handguns with beer.

Thanks for clearing it up.

In my hcp class this weekend, the issue was brought up about our rights as armed citizens who live in apartment complex. The instructor said that if you are living somewhere you pay to reside there then for the duration of your residency that is your "property" and you can expect to have the right to defend yourself. He said even in hotels. So why not hospitals you are paying for your stay. I know you can not legally carry when your under the influence of any mind altering substance. But what if you weren't under the influence? I'm not saying anyone coming in and out of should or shouldn't be allowed to carry. I'm just curious of your opinions.

In my hcp class this weekend, the issue was brought up about our rights as armed citizens who live in apartment complex. The instructor said that if you are living somewhere you pay to reside there then for the duration of your residency that is your "property" and you can expect to have the right to defend yourself. He said even in hotels. So why not hospitals you are paying for your stay. I know you can not legally carry when your under the influence of any mind altering substance. But what if you weren't under the influence? I'm not saying anyone coming in and out of should or shouldn't be allowed to carry. I'm just curious of your opinions.

I think the issue with an apartment is that you sign an agreement. If you agree to not have a weapon on the premises, then you shouldn't have a weapon on the premises. If you don't agree, you don't sign the agreement and you rent somewhere else. If it's not written in the agreement, then you say nothing and keep it concealed. It's really your choice. You're not forced to live anyplace you don't agree with the rules.

I think the issue with an apartment is that you sign an agreement. If you agree to not have a weapon on the premises, then you shouldn't have a weapon on the premises. If you don't agree, you don't sign the agreement and you rent somewhere else. If it's not written in the agreement, then you say nothing and keep it concealed. It's really your choice. You're not forced to live anyplace you don't agree with the rules.

I definitely agree. The issue of whether you can or cannot have a firearm in an apartment or hotel wasn't even discussed but we were talking about the castle doctrine and how it extends to your vehicle and property like an apartment or hotel room. I just took my class and I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

Actually there is an AG Opinion that says landlords can prohibit tenants from possessing firearms...

http://tennessee.gov/attorneygeneral/op/2009/op/op09-170.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ArmaDeFuego

If an apartment complex wants to piss on gun owner's 2nd amendment rights & not let them keep weapons in their apartment, then why cant they also pick a minority group & say they wont rent to them? The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin..... Why dont they add "firearm ownership status" to that list? Where's the laws protecting the 2nd amendment?

Guest RichieRich

I don't think the Costco on Winchester is posted, at least I dont think I have ever seen it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I go to that one a lot, and have never seen a sign. I had seen somewhere on these boards that CostCo have an anti- policy, so have looked extra hard for signs anywhere and everywhere. None.

I go to that one a lot, and have never seen a sign. I had seen somewhere on these boards that CostCo have an anti- policy, so have looked extra hard for signs anywhere and everywhere. None.

Well, if you have to look 'extra hard' to see the sign, it's not a valid sign anyway.......carry on.

Free speech as well. There is no obligation to allow someone to say what they want on your private property.

Dolomite

Uh, doesn't PruneYard Shopping Center v. Robins, set a president refuting that assertion? In this Supreme Court case, the prevailing opinion says that if a State has protections which exceed the Constitution of the Union, then those Rights are protected. In this specific case, California's Constitutional protection of free speech rights prevented owners of a private shopping center from prohibiting the circulation of petitions on the owner's property. Despite the fact that individuals circulating petitions may have physically invaded the owner's property, the Supreme Court held that California's requirement that property owners recognize state-protected rights of free expression and petition clearly did not amount to an unconstitutional infringement of appellants' property rights under the Takings Clause, as the invasion was not permanent, and in fact did not impede the Owner's ability to use the property for its intended purpose, citing that the Owners having failed to demonstrate that the "right to exclude others" is so essential to the use or economic value of their property, and permits individuals reasonably to exercise free speech and petition rights on the property of a privately owned shopping center to which the public is invited.

This decision was cited in both the Federal Tenth District Court of Appeals re the "Parking Lot Bill" in Oklahoma, as well as by the Federal Seventh District Court of Appeals in Florida re the same type of challenge in a similar suit against a similar law.

Just as our Liberal Attorney General opined in the Judiciary Committee in this years dust up in the legislature, found that the Employee Safe Commute bill in its original broad form was Constitutional. He found that the General Police Powers of the State, if in fact they have raised the bar above our Union Constitution with respect to firearms issues, have merit, should the State decide to supersede Federal constraints.

Edited by Worriedman

If an apartment complex wants to piss on gun owner's 2nd amendment rights & not let them keep weapons in their apartment, then why cant they also pick a minority group & say they wont rent to them? The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin..... Why dont they add "firearm ownership status" to that list? Where's the laws protecting the 2nd amendment?

It boils down to money, if the gun owners donated enough cash to those who seek power in the legislature, they could have their way, but to this point, the gun owners of this State are not invested enough to sway decisions.

Tennessee operates on the Golden Rule of politics, he who throws the Gold at the legislature Rules.