Mid-south Schnucks are closing. (Kroger bought us)

M4sherman

Figured I would do a little rant. Kroger bought out 9 of the 12 local schnucks stores around Memphis and within the next 30 days Schnucks will close the other three stores (I work at one of those). Lucky for me I am guarantee work for the next 30 while the ones at the Kroger buyouts have one week to find a new job. The Kroger guys are not grandfathering anyone but rather are taking applications from all of our employees so they have to start new at minimum wage and work their way back up.

Worst part is they made it official to the commercial appeal before they made a statement to the employees.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear, M4.

That SUCKS - I still drive to the nearest Schnucks to buy some items I can't get at Kroger. Kroger's meat dept blows, always get good stuff from Schnucks...

Do you know which stores are closing? I assume the one on 64 (Lakeland) will be one of them as there is a Kroger across the street.

Edited by crimsonaudio

yea roughly 1/2 of our employees will get a shot at a job. The problem with that is unlike the last 4 times these stores changed hands no one is getting grandfathered in. In other words we are all technically fired and we are getting a chance to apply at Kroger. Funny thing is if my store is a good example they are only going to get 200 applications, the employees at Schnucks are pissed at being informed by the commercial appeal before their company informed us (Kroger employees found out on Thursday)

any word on the lakeland store? A pretty modern schnucks is right across the street from an older kroger. Are they going to consolidate to one store?

They're closing the Kroger across the street and rebranding the Schnucks as Kroger.

IOW, it will look similar but the quality of food will nosedive.