Gen 4 Glocks

Guest Big-A

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ArmaDeFuego
Saw on Glock's Facebook today that they're proactively offering to replace anyone's Gen4 recoil spring assembly free of charge. Only models excluded are the 26 and 27.

Just have your serial number handy and give them a call.

Go here for more info:

Recoil Spring Exchange Program | GLOCK USA

Sent from my iPhone 4

Too little too late for this potential customer. If they would have offered this a few months ago I might have looked into it.

If they are going to FINALLY admit there's a problem I will seriously look into getting a Glock the next time I go to buy a gun. (And you KNOW there's gonna be a next time. Buying guns is so dang addicting. :) )

Guest gw2and4
Too little too late for this potential customer. If they would have offered this a few months ago I might have looked into it.

It's been all over the Internet and this forum for a long time now that all we needed to do was call Glock Warranty and they'd send you a new Gen4 spring assembly for free. Only difference now is a dedicated phone line being set up to make it easier for their customers.

May have taken them a while to come around because the Gen4s were designed to run on duty ammo and they weren't concerned about bunny fart loads not throwing the brass as far as the Gen3s did...but at least they came around. Gotta give them credit for that.

Sent from my iPhone 4

It's been all over the Internet and this forum for a long time now that all we needed to do was call Glock Warranty and they'd send you a new Gen4 spring assembly for free. Only difference now is a dedicated phone line being set up to make it easier for their customers.

May have taken them a while to come around because the Gen4s were designed to run on duty ammo and they weren't concerned about bunny fart loads not throwing the brass as far as the Gen3s did...but at least they came around. Gotta give them credit for that.

Sent from my iPhone 4

As I posted before, mine is a very early Gen 4 that I had a shop order as soon as they could get it. I called and got the newer spring assembly no problem. They always offered the fix and I'm not sure how they could have handled it any better.

Guest Victor9er
... Anyway, there you have it; a new shooter; not accustomed to recoil; shooting weak wal-mart ammo, no malfunctions whatsoever. Mine must be a fluke.

Well mine's a fluke too then. Prior to getting my G19 a few months back I had only ever shot a handgun once in my entire life, and that was a good 8 or so years ago. It was a 9mm Glock as well, probably a G17 though I'm not 100% sure on the model, and seeing that it was so long ago I'm guessing it was a Gen3... and I remember having several FTE issues with it at the time most likely due to limp wristing. It was certainly enough to be a bit of a concern when I finally bought my Gen4 a few months ago, but despite being a new shooter I haven't had a single FTE or FTF at this point with either of my Gen4 guns.

Andrew over at VuurwapenBlog called this about a year ago (check the date on his video showing the Gen3 vs. Gen4 comparison), and this week's announcement by Glock came as no surprise, although it's a shame that so many Gen4s made it to market before this being fixed.

GlockTalk, I Told You So « Vuurwapen Blog

GLOCK Armorer’s Recoil Spring Assembly Notice « Vuurwapen Blog

We can point to every manufacturer out there for a screw up - it happens. In the case of the Gen4s, the biggest issue I have is that Glock was trying to fix something that wasn't broken... the Gen3. If they would have basically taken a Gen 3, made a modular grip assembly, put a Vickers-style mag release on it and called it a day, they'd have had a winner.

Just Got this email.

GLOCK Announces Voluntary Replacement of Recoil Spring Assemblies In GEN4 Pistols

[TABLE=align: right]

[TR]

[TD]image001.jpg@01CC6ED8.49C0DFB0

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

GLOCK Inc. announces that it is voluntarily exchanging the recoil spring assembly (RSA) on its new Gen4 pistols shipped since August, 2009, to ensure each pistol's performance meets the company's demanding standards. With several variations of the RSA in the market today, GLOCK's goal with this voluntary exchange is to standardize the RSA to gain the best possible performance in each pistol.

GLOCK's product development team has modified various elements of the RSA. The new RSA compensates for all design modifications made to the Gen4 and allows the pistols to function up to GLOCK's rigid quality standards and reliability goals.

Consumers should note that Gen4 G26 and G27 models will not require a modified recoil spring.

"We are moving proactively and quickly to standardize this part of the pistol. This is a voluntary exchange specifically for the new Gen4 models," said Gary Fletcher Vice President GLOCK Inc. "We have developed a program for consumers to send in their existing recoil spring assemblies and receive new ones at no cost."

The replacement of the Gen4 pistol RSA can be performed as part of the regular field-strip process; consumers do not need to take the Gen4 pistol to an armorer. Consumer's wishing to participate in the exchange program are urged to call 1-877-745-8523 to order their new recoil spring.

For more information on the details and shipping requirements on the replacement program, visit www.teamGLOCK.com.

Ron Satterlee

Account Rep

Sports South LLC

I fired another 100 flawless rounds through my Gen 4 Glock 17 today. This gun is starting to grow on me. After doing a trigger job, it shoots much smoother...I bet it'll be real sweet when I put a 3.5# connector and stronger trigger spring in it.

Edited by BigK
Guest FiddleDog

The best handgun I've ever owned was a Glock G19 gen 3. I wish I had never let it go. I now have a Gen4 G19, which has been 100% trouble free, but the trigger does feel different, not as crisp as the gen 3. I use the middle size strap, so, the adjustable grip is not really a thing...the new texture is nicer, though.