ammo clip on simi-auto

Guest D Mason

Guest D Mason

I left my ammo clip loaded, I forgot to unload it when I put my 380 in my desk drawer.It stayed there for a long time,when I tried to fire it the spring in the clip had got weak and would not pust the ammo up. Question, How long can I keep it loaded with out the clip spring getting weak??

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mag springs under tension should not degrade in tensile strength, assuming that they are not made of substandard steel. Only compression and decompression wears them.

What is the make of gun? Sure there's not corrosion from humidity or something involved?

- OS

Honestly, I've never heard of magazine springs losing their strength. How long was the mag loaded for? My magazines stay loaded... they've stayed loaded for the last year that I've owned the gun. ;) Wish I could be more help.

I have seen it but it is rare. Im my case it was a Beretta 92 aka M9. The mags were filled to max and when I went to clean them about 4 months later the ammo just fell out of the mags. These were new, unissued mags when I got them.

Dolomite

Some of the substandard mags that were floating around for a while? They were junk.

All my pistol mags are Mecgar. For the XD, they give an extra 2 rounds and still fit flush. Plus they look better black than shiny.

All of them stay loaded, all the time. Take them to the range, empty them, fill 'em back up. They stay loaded a lot longer than not ;)

ZERO issues. AR-15 magazines too. Although, I admittedly load 28 in USGI mags. More for feeding than springs taking a set.

Using QUALITY magazines, it's just not an issue.

Guest D Mason

I have a bersa 380.It was doing great until I put it up for about five months. Maybe it is something else it will fire one time and it will jam. the spring seems weak but it may be something else.

I have a bersa 380.It was doing great until I put it up for about five months. Maybe it is something else it will fire one time and it will jam. the spring seems weak but it may be something else.

Extractor might be gummed up from sitting, depending on what was used for cleaning. Improper extraction often seems like failure to feed.

Clean it well and try again. Make sure rails are lubed so that there's no resistance as slide blows back.

- OS

It could be a weak spring. I have seen several mags do this. Granted some of them were loaded for atleast one year without being touched, and some just used extensively. (range mags)

You can take the mag apart and strech the spring see if that helps also. If it does then it is the spring wearing out.

Just something that's going to happen. The quality of the mag will also make a difference.

I would bet on a weak spring. I have heard the argument that a mag fully loaded will not weaken a spring but I ain't buying it. I'm not a rocket scientist but, why do people that have old vintage cars put jack stands under the frames so the springs don't get weak? Sorry, I just live in logicville. Now I am sure that a bunch of spring scientist will go insane and pound on their keyboards but hey, a spring is a spring.