What do you do on Sept 11th in rememberance?

Will Carry

I hang my flag at half mast and at 9am I take my CD player outside and play a Scottish bagpipe lament. I remember coming home at lunch that day from work to watch the news. My neighbor was in her yard crying. She's the first person who said, "We are at war...... and my son is in the Marine Corps." My eyes swelled up with tears and still do when I play the bagpipes on 9/11.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hang my flag at half mast and at 9am I take my CD player outside and play a Scottish bagpipe lament. I remember coming home at lunch that day from work to watch the news. My neighbor was in her yard crying. She's the first person who said, "We are at war...... and my son is in the Marine Corps." My eyes swelled up with tears and still do when I play the bagpipes on 9/11.

That makes two of us,Cuz! I haven't forgotten and probably never will. I will go to a gun show,light a candle,and go eat a pork sandwich. A beer may also be in order and I will share with a good neighbor. I will also pop off some rounds at a target or three.

Guest Chattanoogan

This year it falls on a Sunday, our church has planned a special service, we have invited all our local LEO's and FF's to our morning service to recognize them for what they do while keeping us safe.

I'll be giving a short talk at my church on my experiences, impressions, thoughts, etc as a Red Cross volunteer at the WTC then I will attend my American Legion post's ceremony at our courthouse where we recognize the first responders from our area-police, sheriff's deputies, city and volunteer fire, and ems. This is our 9th year of hosting this ceremony.

Guest Bronker

I will make it a point to stop and say thanks to a soldier, a police officer, or a fireman...like I do any other day.

I will sit quietly and pray...like I do any other day. For my family. For the soldiers, police officers, firemen. For our schools and our children (yours and mine) for the omnipotent protection of their bodies, hearts, souls, spirits and minds, for the world is after all of those things.

And I'll ask God to forgive me for my complacency, selfishness, and weakness. Just like all other days. Then I'll thank Him for His grace, for regardless of what a few individuals brought down upon our country that day, we are far from defeated. When that grace is over, we are over. Until then, I'll have to faithfully assume that God has a use for us and our country. And if he believes in us that much, who am I to not?

2 Chronicles 7:14

Will be at a Mens weekend with the Cursillo movement and the Catholic Church. Will wake up early. Say a prayer for my dad who died 11 years ago in September 11th. Part of what we will do will be in remembrance of those who died 10 years ago.

• Admin Team

As someone who was in 1WTC the morning of, and was blessed to be a part of the rescue and recovery effort for the next nine months, I don't need an anniversary to remember. Ten years later, I still see those images in my head when I close my eyes at night.

I'll thank the Lord for still being alive. I should have been in my office on the 78th floor on the side of impact - right below the impact in fact on the 81st floor. I should have been one of the ones we never found. I wasn't. It's hard to reconcile still being here when you watched 2977 other people killed.

I'll thank the Lord for the goodness that I witnessed firsthand from our fellow Americans and people the world over. We've squandered most of that goodwill at this point. But, I've tasted that and know that as a general rule, despite our differences, we're a lot more alike than we are different. Maybe one day we'll figure out a way to experience this goodness without the tragedy.

I'll pray for those who continue to stand in the gap. There's no greater gift than to lay down your life for your fellow citizen, much less some farmer in Afghanistan. This is something we all need to recognize daily.

I'll pray for continued healing for everyone involved. 10 years later, there's still a lot of hurting out there.

I'll thank the Lord for his grace. I'll hug my kids and my wife.

Guest Bronker
As someone who was in 1WTC the morning of, and was blessed to be a part of the rescue and recovery effort for the next nine months, I don't need an anniversary to remember. Ten years later, I still see those images in my head when I close my eyes at night.

I'll thank the Lord for still being alive. I should have been in my office on the 78th floor on the side of impact - right below the impact in fact on the 81st floor. I should have been one of the ones we never found. I wasn't. It's hard to reconcile still being here when you watched 2977 other people killed.

I'll thank the Lord for the goodness that I witnessed firsthand from our fellow Americans and people the world over. We've squandered most of that goodwill at this point. But, I've tasted that and know that as a general rule, despite our differences, we're a lot more alike than we are different. Maybe one day we'll figure out a way to experience this goodness without the tragedy.

I'll pray for those who continue to stand in the gap. There's no greater gift than to lay down your life for your fellow citizen, much less some farmer in Afghanistan. This is something we all need to recognize daily.

I'll pray for continued healing for everyone involved. 10 years later, there's still a lot of hurting out there.

I'll thank the Lord for his grace. I'll hug my kids and my wife.

That's powerful stuff, friend. You speak truth and wisdom.

I bear a tattoo on my right arm that provokes me to think of them every day. I was in the Marine Corps in 1983 during the Beirut bombing, and I saw how quickly this country forgets. After 9/11 I decided to do a small part in reminding folks around me when I wear a sleeveless shirt.

I bear a tattoo on my right arm that provokes me to think of them every day. I was in the Marine Corps in 1983 during the Beirut bombing, and I saw how quickly this country forgets. After 9/11 I decided to do a small part in reminding folks around me when I wear a sleeveless shirt.

Thank you soooooo very much for your service. Being from NY it hits close to home. I personally know of people who have lost loved ones on 9/11. One day at Disney World a man asked me what my tats meant and the Capt. America tat has some small twin towers in the back ground on it and he in a very solemn voice told me he lost his daughter in tower two. It was very moving moment and one I will never forget.

can you show us your tats?

Guest bkelm18

Such a terrible day, but it brought out the absolute best in our country. Red, white, and blue everywhere. I was really proud of what we became and it really felt like this was home. Not anymore unfortunately. I'm not sure what I'll do this Sunday.

Guest Sgt. Joe
I will make it a point to stop and say thanks to a soldier, a police officer, or a fireman...like I do any other day.

I will sit quietly and pray...like I do any other day. For my family. For the soldiers, police officers, firemen. For our schools and our children (yours and mine) for the omnipotent protection of their bodies, hearts, souls, spirits and minds, for the world is after all of those things.

And I'll ask God to forgive me for my complacency, selfishness, and weakness. Just like all other days. Then I'll thank Him for His grace, for regardless of what a few individuals brought down upon our country that day, we are far from defeated. When that grace is over, we are over. Until then, I'll have to faithfully assume that God has a use for us and our country. And if he believes in us that much, who am I to not?

2 Chronicles 7:14

I sure couldnt say it any better Bronker.

I will take a 40 or so mile ride to simply Salute the Flag at the Dustin Carrol Memorial Armory in McKenzie just as I have done on Veterans Day, Memorial Day and Sep 11th since we lost him in 2005. "Dusty" (and his dad) was serving in Iraq with the 194th Engineer Brigade of the TN Army National Guard.

We lost that very Brave and young Hero to a coward and an IED. IIRC he was only 21 years old.

Never Forget!

can you show us your tats?

I'll try to get some pics.

The one I'm talking about got ruined, (IMO), when I had another artist try to re-color the tiger in it. It's a picture of a snarling tiger holding a bloodied turbin in his claws with an American flag in the background and "Infinite Justice 09-11-01" written below. The original artist had shaded the orange of the tiger in true artist form, but orange fades easily. A couple of years ago I needed it re-shaded, but the original artist had moved. I went to a shop in Smyrna where the guy swore he could do the same thing. He sat between me and the mirror so that I couldn't see him coloring the tiger in like a coloring book. Hopefully it has faded enough again that it's respectible.

Sept. 11, 2011

I had the day off work and no plans besides an itch to get out of the house in this beautiful weather. I've been so sick of being holed up in the house with the curtains drawn for the blistering heat, scorching light rays. Welcome fall, come sooner, stay away rain, love you snow, if I don't have to drive around these people.

So being ideal conditions for it, I drove for a few hours in the country today. Saw the firetruck with the US flag flying in Kingston Springs, Dickson, & Ashland City, these pleased me to see, this was honest. Drivin wherever I want with no communist checkpoint inspections of papers, carrying my guns the whole time, along beautiful rural areas of TN appreciating what our freedom means. It's a constant that we become accustomed to and become complacent in our remembrance of all that has happened to allow us the freedom to exercise our God given rights as Acknowledged by the constitution, not granted by.

I have to admit, though I have many family members who were in the service.. I feel like September 11th actually provides more personal resonance to me than Memorial Day or the Fourth of July at this point, though I take time for observance, perhaps owin to the fact I missed out on the civil & revolutionary wars but this occurred in our lifetime. We know firsthand people that died or people that lost loved ones in the bombings or in the war since. #1 & #2 al qaeda dead. Good. That will allow some people closure for the ones that they personally lost. Is it enough for the country itself?

I felt myself to be in a very reflective somber mood all day, recalling the aftermath of 10 years ago and where we are today in relation to what has occurred along the way. Some reactive goals were accomplished but I remain worried about what may lay ahead. Most days I feel like 'relatively' we aren't any worse off today than we were 5-10-15 years ago.. I feel like I'm just more cognizant of the state of the union as it were. I was worried about Y2K and expected a far more significant SHTF scenario than ever materialized aside from Betty Thomason being late for work at the BiRite in Spokane because her alarm clock just kept blinking 01:01 all day.

There has been an amazing coalition of harmonious achievement inspired from the collective attack this country suffered. And every year leading up to this Special Commemorative 10 yr anniversary in which everyone is forcibly reminded of events there has been a gradual erosion of appreciation for the sacrifice of those who went to battle for this country's defense. I'm trying to remain detached in my quick to judge fashion regarding the outpouring of companies and organizations that are observing ceremonies. It's like the Pink to support breast cancer awareness causes.. my pessimistic, distrustful nature admits that sometimes I view these companies as pandering and just doing p.r.

My wife was seriously distraught over the news articles about how first responders weren't being allowed onsite for the ceremonies due to space constraints. WhoTF else besides family members of those lost should be there?? I felt it better not to further anger my tender spiritbeast and elected not to read the article and hope blindly it wasn't true, though not with any great avarice.. see above distrustful nature divulgence.

As I was saying, I drove for 2-3 hours and lo & behold ended up at a gun range.. this was mid afternoon post church nap for many people and the titans were still preparing to lose so the range only had a smattering of people present. I sent a couple of hundred empty casings to the bottom of the range collection bucket and mosied on my way.

Well lo and behold I ended up at the academy sports parking lot and figured I might as well just go look at their handguns seeing as how I was there already and & don't live near one and the ol dodge was in Park now what do ya know. Roamed around for a bit and looked at what all they had but I think my next handgun purchase will actually be a small 9 or .380 for my wife to carry so she should be there to see if she likes it and what not. So then I was looking at their ammo prices which happen to be under the shotgun/rifle selection and well what do you know I'm over there lookin and askin after holding this one there *above* the .40 cal ammo 2nd one back yes sir thank you.

So admittedly, I've wanted a rifle for awhile. I want to hunt this fall/winter. I'd like to coyote hunt but might think about deer hunting when I become more proficient with a rifle.

Yup so I went ahead and bought a remington 770 .30-06 with bushnell scope. I was considering several other models/calibers but hey it was on sale. So with a box of ammo and a nice well padded rugged camo carryin case I'm out the door with $375 less to my name. So it may not be the greatest, prettiest, most effective, heck it could blow up some people will say. Oh well, it's another gun to have for fun, food or zombies depending on which page of this choose your own destiny book we're heading towards. Marlin, Savage, Stevens, Maverick, Mossberg, etc.. that's great! I got what I got, I won't turn it in I may get another of some other so don't bash my choice. The point is they all go bang bang makey the things dead from a distance.

Soon hopefully I'll get out to a range and see if I want to use it much. The important part for me was just gettin my dang foot in the door and quit dithering about it. I've been wanting to go hunting for 3-4 years now but have been using the whole not having a rifle as an excuse. Hopefully, now I can get out there, miss a few coyotes and deers and realize what kind of rifle I need for My needs.

So in short...hahaha

It was a good couple hours listenin to country noise before I ended up at the firin range. Then ended up buyin my first rifle on this the Sept. 11, 2011

I went to a range and did a little shooting today - seemed like a very "American" thing to do. :) I need to repair my flag stand on my house so I didn't fly it today but did fly a flag from my vehicle and I'm leaving it on through tomorrow.

In 2009, I went to the 9/11 memorial at the Pentagon and couldn't help but cry as I read names on many of the 100+ benches, one for each victim...I cried today as I listened to several shows commemorating the 10th anniversary.

In 2001, the Saturday after the 9/11 attack, I went to Bass Pro Shop at Opryland just because I thought it was important that I do that...get out in public as a way to show that I was not going to hide in my house...that I was going to go on with life...I bought a couple of things not because I actually needed them but; just because.

I think that's what we most need to do...to keep going on....absolutely we must never forget but we also must not let cowards who strike the innocent keep us from living our lives.

Guest WyattEarp

Nothing.

Sorry if this sounds offensive or prude, but I think this country holds on to **** too much. It's been 10 years, those responsible have been hunted down and killed or captured, we've broken the enemies backbone, and we continue to pursue them.

I don't know what the ceremony and events in NYC cost, but for a city that's having budget issues, that money could have been well spent on more important things.

I'm all for a having a moment of silence, and flying the flag at half-staff, but the misuse of public funds, misappropriation of government personnel, and all the media coverage is out of control.

For America to remain strong, we need to put this behind us and move forward. I am not implying we should ever forget, or that the lives of those lost were somehow unimportant, I'm just weary of this country "celebrating" anniversaries of horrific and atrocious events that are inflicted upon us, and I think our country and it's attitude would be well served to focus on more positive things.

Let's celebrate the good things, not the bad.

just my 2 cents.