Where were you on the morning of September 11, 2001?

TGO David

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had worked the night shift the night before in the ER and was sleeping when the attacks happened. My girlfriend (now wife) didn't want to wake me but she came over and left a note taped to my bedroom door to turn on the TV as soon as i woke up. I spent the rest of the day glued to the TV in total disbelief.

I was in my front yard preparing to cut my grass. I put on my headphones to listen to a little talk radio and heard the on air personality say that a plane had crashed into the WTC. I went back inside turned on the tele in time to see the second plane hit the second tower. My twins were six at the time I remember thinking that they were going to grow up in a different world that I did.

I was in Pikeville, Tn. installing an access control for a chicken plant of some type over there ( seems like it was some kind of experimental setup, but not sure), one of the guys came ou tof the back and turned on the tv and started talking about the accidental crashing of the plane into the first building, and we watched live as the2nd plane hit the other one, I packed up and left right then, I knew we were under attack and I went to "gather the flock" as it were. I spent the next 2 weeks glued to the tv. And it chaps my ass every thime I think about what those people have done to us.

And it chaps my ass every thime I think about what those people have done to us.

I was quite proud of what we became in the following weeks. United. American flags everywhere. Now when I reflect upon that day, what saddens me most is that we couldn't maintain our unity and patriotism.

I was a sleep when the first one hit and my mom woke me up. I was between job at the time.

I was between jobs, so I had moved back with my parents for a couple months..

Mom woke me up and I was glued to TV. As soon as the second plane hit, like everyone else, we knew it was at planned event but we did not know by who.

Allot of shock, disbelief, after the second plane hit figured we would be at war but didn't know with whom which was scarely.

I know I went out and started getting all the cars and trucks filled out and the price of gas was already going up.

Edited by vontar

Getting ready for work. Just sold my house and the only thing left in the den was a folding chair and the TV. For some odd reason I had the TV on while getting dressed. I heard the news talking about a small aircraft had hit the WTC. I began watching and was sitting there watching live TV when the 2nd plane hit. I knew at that instant our world had just changed, and not for the better. For what it's worth I was sitting in the American Cafe eating dinner when President Bush gave his address to the nation that night. Politics aside, I've always been extremely proud to be an American, but after his speech you probably could have put a rifle in my hand and shipped me overseas that very night. I'm pretty sure there were a lot of other folks who felt the same way, and some of us still do.

God Bless America.

I was quite proud of what we became in the following weeks. United. American flags everywhere. Now when I reflect upon that day, what saddens me most is that we couldn't maintain our unity and patriotism.

Oh we are still there, it just doesn't show as much as you or I would like. I'd fly a flag on my truck every day but I don't because I have watched too many of them blow off a car/truck and people just keep going. I have a collection of rescued flags sitting in a bag here right now I need to take to the VFW. Heck I stopped traffic on HWY 11 in Athens opne day just to pick one up before it gor run over.

For what it's worth I was sitting in the American Cafe eating dinner when President Bush gave his address to the nation that night. Politics aside, I've always been extremely proud to be an American, but after his speech you probably could have put a rifle in my hand and shipped me overseas that very night. I'm pretty sure there were a lot of other folks who felt the same way, and some of us still do.

God Bless America.

"We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail"

Still gets me riled up.

Oh we are still there, it just doesn't show as much as you or I would like. I'd fly a flag on my truck every day but I don't because I have watched too many of them blow off a car/truck and people just keep going. I have a collection of rescued flags sitting in a bag here right now I need to take to the VFW. Heck I stopped traffic on HWY 11 in Athens opne day just to pick one up before it gor run over.

It's still there in some of us. But nothing like it was.

I agree.

I too went out to buy an American flag, however I was turned off by the fact that everyone I picked up was made in China. I made a stand that I would never own an American flag that is made in a foreign Country.

There is just something fundamental wrong if we can not buy an American flag that is made in America.

Of course you can buy American made flags but you just can not buy them in every store.

That would not have worked long term for the politicians.

I had worked the ER the night before, and had gotten in bed around 0400. When the first plane hit, my wife called and woke me up. I got to the television just as the plane hit 2WTC.

I stood there the rest of the day. In disbelief, experiencing the emotional roller coaster that we all did. I was angry, afraid, and sickened all at the same time. I don't think I sat down for the next 36 hours.

I was so angry that I wanted to fight. I was ready to arm myself and storm a foreign shore right then and there. The only problem was that for that span of time, we really didn't even know who we were at war with. I just knew that we were at war, and I wanted those bastards to pay.

I was in the shower when the first plane hit. I was on active duty stationed at HS-8 on NAS North Island (San Diego). Anyway, I had the radio going and then the music stopped. I was like WTF? How did my radio jump channels to talk radio? After I got out of the shower I checked the station (91X) and actually started to listen. The first plane had hit. By the time I was dressed and out the door for work the 2nd plane had hit and we knew it wasnt an accident. The base was locked down by the time i got there. It took me 3 hours just to get on base. After the initial scrambling around and getting a game plan I was sent home to pack my sea bag for "an extended deployment". I left for work on the 12th at 0300 so I could make it to the air terminal to catch my helo ride to the carrier at sea. Needless to say, I still almost missed my 0900 flight due to the base being locked down and everyone entering AND leaving getting searched. I spent the next two weeks at sea providing air support/suppression for the West Coast. When we pulled in our training cycle had accelerated greatly and we geared up for deployment in Nov.

I was an Air Force Reserve Public Affairs officer at United States Strategic Command at Offutt Air Force Base in Omaha, Nebraska on September 11, 2001. We were in the middle of Exercise Global Guardian -- we could not have been MORE ready.

I watched the second plane hit the towers live on television at work. The exercise ended on a knife edge and we went to a war footing almost immediately.

A little later in the day, President Bush was in our building in the underground command post getting a secure briefing with his full National Security Council via our teleconferencing facility. Air Force One was refueled and picked up a fresh Combat Air Patrol of National Guard F-16s.

I was within 10 feet of President Bush that day. Shortly thereafter, I was recalled to active duty in Massachusetts, three tours in Iraq, and two tours in San Antonio. It's ten years later, and I've just retired.

Edited by QuietDan
I was an Air Force Reserve Public Affairs officer at United States Strategic Command at Offutt Air Force Base in Omaha, Nebraska on September 11, 2001. We were in the middle of Exercise Global Guardian -- we could not have been MORE ready.

I watched the second plane hit the towers live on television at work. The exercise ended on a knife edge and we went to a war footing almost immediately.

A little later in the day, President Bush was in our building in the underground command post getting a secure briefing with his full National Security Council via our teleconferencing facility. Air Force One was refueled and picked up a fresh Combat Air Patrol of National Guard F-16s.

I was within 10 feet of President Bush that day. Shortly thereafter, I was recalled to active duty in Massachusetts, three tours in Iraq, and two tours in San Antonio. It's ten years later, and I've just retired.

Thank you for your service to our country.

God I remember it like it was yesterday. I was a freshman in high school. I was sitting in a auto shop class when the teacher came in the room and turned the tv on. The first plane had already hit.

Since my Dad is a private pilot I had heard him talk about always putting the saftey of the public before yourself if you had a problem in flight. So I just couldn't wrap my mind around how this could have happend. Then another student in the class said, "man, that plane is flying close to the buildings". That's when the second plane hit.

My second class was a math class out in a portable. It had no tv in it. Of course we were all talking about what had happend. The teacher came in and told us all to shut up so we could listen to it on the radio. I don't think there were ten words spoke for the rest class. The rest of the day the whole school was glued to the tv. Some of the teachers were walking around with tears streaming down their faces. An older teacher named Coach Lemley, was angry. He told us that this was the most important event that had ever happened in our lives and to pay attention and remember it.

My Great Gandmother passed away unexpectedly the next day so it made it all even more sad. I know that every channel on tv for the next 5-7 days was nothing but news coverage. It was surreal, I had never seen the media do anything like that.

I'm very humbled, and happy, to know that I'm within arm's reach here of so many heroes so directly involved in this tragedy. In your posts, I read preparedness, willingness, and resolve. Not once have I read or even perceived regret, apprehension or fear.

MacGyver on the ground literally, QuietDan, buck1032 and others directly deployed. You guys are fearless heroes, and a fine representation of what remains still 'so right' about this country and why she is so worth defending.

I'm just really humbled by your insight and bravery.

Edited by Bronker

Snoozing in bed when my wife calls and says, "We're under attack." Made no sense to me and she had to tell me to turn on the TV. I spent the rest of the day watching news coverage and went to work (second shifter at the time) on about 2 hours sleep.