Electronic cigarettes anyone?

Guest eyebedam

Guest eyebedam

So Im thinking of giving these a try. Has anyone here had any luck with them? Im not a suoer heavy smoker but I hate the way it stinks. Ive tried looking on some of the E cigg forums but its a confusing dork fest. I just want something that works thats not gonna cost a arm & a leg. Plus Im thinking some of the vapor flavors may be kind of neat.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TackleberryTom

My wife just recently got one (actually a bunch of stuff) She loves it. I like that it doesn't smell like cigs. She did a bunch of research on them and found what she wanted and ordered it on the internet. The Joye 510 is what she got. You can go up to Goodlettsville to a place called puresmoker.com and they have all that stuff in stock. Just thought I would give you some info. Also, watch some videos on youtube about it.

Guest Lester Weevils

I tried one brand bought locally, can't recall the brand name. About a year ago. It was the kind with 2 batteries about the size of cigarettes and cartridges with cotton or some kind of fabric which had the juice soaked in it.

That brand did not seem to reliably produce vapor. Quality control seemed poor. The vapor didn't aggravate my sinuses as much as cigarette smoke but the vapor irritated my throat more than Basic regular which is my usual smoke. I started smoking Basic initially because of price but now it is about as expensive as the others. The Basic has a decent-enough nicotine buzz and doesn't bother the throat too bad. Also became worried about quality control/purity of the juice cartridges which appeared to be of oriental manufacture.

I recently did research and got a volcano inferno kit. That is a hawiaan company and some components especially the ejuice is reputed to be made in USA with USP grade ingredients. The inferno has "small cigar" sized batteries though the company makes smaller models. Quality control seems very good and it provides a consistent nicotine buzz about as good as the real thing. The system uses either refillable "tanks" (not fabric filled, just little plastic vials) or alternately a "drip system" which you drip a couple of drops of the ejuice and get about 1 or 2 cigarettes worth of smoke out of it.

If you buy the kit with the optional drip kit it is like buying two ecigs for the price. One slightly larger battery that charges via USB or USB wallwart with a screw-on adapter, and another slightly smaller battery with a USB feedthru plug on the end, so you can plug it into the wall or a computer and use it all day running direct off USB without draining the battery. Put the "tank system" on one battery and the "drip kit" on the other battery, and you have two redundant functional systems. One for the desk and another for travel. Charge both at the same time with adapters supplied in the kit.

I think the inferno system is probably long-term A LOT less expensive than a cigarette habit at current prices tax+++.

The INFERNO Kit Electronic Cigarettes | ECig Atomizers

I ordered three kinds of ejuice at 1.6 % nicotine each. That strength is labeled at 16 mg nicotine which I assume probably means that if you smoke the equivalent amount as a pack of cigs, you would get about 16 mg nicotine. The "light" strength is half that. A 30 ml bottle would last me weeks as best I can tell. Ordered regular menthol flavor, regular tobacco flavor, and a "tobacco pure" which is sposed to contain certain real tobacco flavor extracts.

After smoking it a few days my sinuses are much clearer, but the vapor from this company's product also irritates my throat more than plain old Basic cancer sticks. Just like the previous test of the import brand a year ago. Maybe I'm the lone ranger with this effect. Haven't read other people complain about that.

I don't see the company offering a completely un-flavored brand but maybe they can mix one up. Will email them and see. I don't care about the flavor, only the nicotine addiction. Have difficulty keeping a "clear head" for detail work when I go off nicotine. For whatever reason, patches or losenges or nicotine gum don't give the same "mental clarity" effect. I have no problem quitting smoking and suffer no obvious withdrawal symptoms. But after a couple of weeks without nicotine I just stare at the computer screen all day barely able to do any work. Serious concentration loss. Gets worse over time. After a month it is worse than after a week. It is said that the brain fog goes away after a year, but dunno if I could keep a job that long waiting for the fog to clear. :blush:

Maybe a nicotine-only unflavored ejuice wouldn't bother my throat unless the irritating ingredient happens to be vaporized propylene glycol and glycerin. Seems doubtful that nicotine would be the irritating factor, or ordinary cancer sticks would cause the same irritation. Granting of course that nicotine is a fabulous bug poison and probably likes to kill human cells just as well in appropriate concentrations.

Guest eyebedam

I actually looked at the inferno earlier today, I also checked out a model called the ego. I think im most interested in the total amount of flavors, Im curious about the fruit type flavors & some of the other oddballs. I'm assuming the vapor doesnt have much of a smell? Also do you just puff while your out & about in stores & does it draw any type of reaction from people?

I bought the Nicotek $19.99 starter kit at Pilot 3 weeks ago. The starter kit comes with a battery, USB charger and 2 cartridges

The only thing I had to get use to was it doesn't draw like a real cig.

For me, 3 cartridges ($9.95 / 3 pack) will last about a week and the battery will go 1 - 2 days between charge.

Pretty good flavor too.

I use the 1.2% nicotine concentration cartridges and it does a great job of taking off the "lack-of-nicotine edge"

Like Lester, I find the vapor is more irritating than the Marlboro Ultra Lights I was smoking (about 3 packs / week)

While not a healthy alternative, it's got to be slighter safer than good old tobacco smokes.

• Administrator

Two of my colleagues are using these to try to stop smoking. As others have said, I have stood next to these guys while they are using them and cannot smell anything. They seem to like the way they work for them, too, so I suppose that counts for quite a bit.

I've tried two different kinds of electronic cigarettes..those early expensive gamucci and some more recent cheap no name to remember piece from the gas station that was $9.99 for 300-400 puffs available in reg/menthol. I've smoked for 15 years bout a pack a day. Id love to quit. The last 3 years has been taking more of a toll on my endurance than ever as I age. I used to be a martial artist/swimmer so I still have a good lung endurance but its definitely affected. the ecig's I've tried give me the same throat irritation as nicotine gum/lozenges does. The patches were ineffective besides elevating my blood pressure & I don't believe in prescription medication. I bought one of these ecigs a few weeks back..tried it a couple hours and gave up. I think I'll give it another go today since you've reminded me..I'll let you know how it works out. I've had terrible luck with every cessation program I've tried..I get terribly agitated & irritable without cigarettes. Friends & coworkers have encouraged me to start back up lol. My ex smoker buddy says I just need to lock myself away for like 3-4 days to kick it good but who has that kinda time.

via EPIC4G SRF1.1.0 by Android Creative Syndicate

I had 2 friends try to use them to help kick the habit but both failed.But it wasn't the E-cigs fault. As someone who went cold turkey over a year ago the first step is WANTING to quit. If you don't want it then you're wasting time and money. Seriously,as firearm enthusiast if we WANT that (insert firearm here) we will eventually have it, if it's legal to own anyway, lmao. But I tried to quit several years ago and that lasted about as long as I could fool myself and my family. I simply didn't WANT it. But last year it hit close to home when I had a friend text me that he thought he had the big C. Reality will kick you in the arse sometimes and that's what did it for me. But the E cig just looked like a cheap crutch and just something to keep you in the physical habit, an oral fixation with a hint of the juice placed in it. I went through tons of sunflower seeds, suckers, gum, anything to keep that oral fix but got my azz away from the drug, the nicotine. I read it takes 30 days of detoxing yourself to kick it and once you've been that long without it you are good. The 21st of this month will make 18 months clean and I have no intention of starting back. Althought I could pick it back up tomorrow.

Not saying they might not aid in quitting but if you are stubborn like me you will just give it the big F U and go grab a bag of tootsie pops, lol. And this is coming from someone who thought I needed it coursing through my veins to exist on this planet.

I haven't tried the recent crop of e-cigs but did try every method available in the 80's and 90's. I smoked more than a pack a day for over 40 years. Yes, I said over forty years. Nothing worked until I decided to quit wasting time effort and money and take prescription medication. My doctor prescribed Chantix and I took it as directed (smoke the first week, then stop).

Don't get me wrong, e-cigs and other methods will work for a lot of people. They didn't work for me but, with Chantix, I quit after 44 years of varying between 1 and 3 packs a day. In 2010 I smoked over 60 cartons of cigarettes, in 2011 I smoked part of 1 cigarette. I calculate that I've saved over $2000 this year alone, and that's even with the cost of the Chantix.

When you're ready to quit, don't let the cost, or the idea of medications, or anything else stop you. Choose your method by what you truly believe will work for you, not simply what might work, what will be cheap enough or what doesn't involve drugs. For some of us, you have to fight some drugs with others.

So Im thinking of giving these a try. Has anyone here had any luck with them? Im not a suoer heavy smoker but I hate the way it stinks. Ive tried looking on some of the E cigg forums but its a confusing dork fest. I just want something that works thats not gonna cost a arm & a leg. Plus Im thinking some of the vapor flavors may be kind of neat.
My wife just recently got one (actually a bunch of stuff) She loves it. I like that it doesn't smell like cigs. She did a bunch of research on them and found what she wanted and ordered it on the internet. The Joye 510 is what she got. You can go up to Goodlettsville to a place called puresmoker.com and they have all that stuff in stock. Just thought I would give you some info. Also, watch some videos on youtube about it.

Funny you bring this up ... Hope you wife is enjoying her 510 Tom ;)

I'm actually the owner of PureSmoker.com - yup, a fellow TGO'er :)

If you guys have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Quite a bit of our stuff is USA made including all of our juice and a couple of our devices :)

eyebedam -- you are more than welcome to stop in and try any of our devices to see if one will work for you :)

We're Open Mon - Friday 9am - 5pm

Address:

110 Glancy St #114

Goodlettsville, TN 37072 :)

A friend of mine that we frequented the same water holes was a sales person for luci e-cigarretes. Electronic Cigarette by LUCI| Electric Cigarettes it's an E Cig!

I am not a smoker, but I did take a few drags off his occasionally (mainly because of the flavor cartridges to see how they tasted, by the way I remember the coffee flavored one tasting awesome). They draw like normal, they have different cartridges with flavors, and the tip lights up as well (blue, or red, maybe other colors now). Granted this is just coming from a non smoker, but they seemed pretty well made and they were a real hit with all my smoker friends.

Edited by nysos
Guest TackleberryTom
I'm actually the owner of PureSmoker.com - yup, a fellow TGO'er

That is awesome. I will have come with her the next time she goes there.

Edited by TackleberryTom
Can't keep a straight thought

The wife & I have been heavy smokers for years and just started using the eCigs a few days ago.

I didn't get them to quit smoking, but as an alternative to tobacco.

We got a couple of models to try and see what we liked including a eGo, a Leo and a couple of the automatics that look like cigarettes.

They all work pretty well with the eGo & Leo having manual buttons to press and the automatics turn on as you hit them and back off when you stop. Pre-filled cartridges can be purchased pretty cheap, but the real savings is with refilling them yourself which offers a great variety of flavors and strengths!

Neither of us have had a cigarette since we started with the eCigs and I find them to be a great replacement! No more fire, ash, smell, 2nd hand smoke or restrictions on where we can get our nicotine fix! They provide all the pleasures of smoking without the negative aspects of such and with the various strengths available could be used to step down to quiting.

Guest eyebedam

I bought 1 of the disposables from a Mapco just to give it a try. It was ok, I think I'll enjoy a higher end unit. Looking at a Riva unit. Really interested in the oddball flavors, I imagine you could def draw some attention if wanted, Imagine OC'ing a full size 1911, While puffing your Ecig in a building in anywhere USA, not that I would do either but sometimes I like to visualize.

Guest Lester Weevils
I actually looked at the inferno earlier today, I also checked out a model called the ego. I think im most interested in the total amount of flavors, Im curious about the fruit type flavors & some of the other oddballs. I'm assuming the vapor doesnt have much of a smell? Also do you just puff while your out & about in stores & does it draw any type of reaction from people?

Hi eyebedam

I don't like drawing attention, and haven't "vaped" much except in the house or the truck. Hopefully people wouldn't conclude that an ecig is some sort of drug paraphenalia.

I don't notice any smell and it alleviates most of my sinus problems compared with tobacco smoke and the vapor doesn't seem to cause eye irritation.

xRustyx can probably correct if this is wrong, but I get the impression that many brands of the juice will work with many brands of the vaporizers (at least the ones that are refillable). If so, then maybe it is no problemo buying juice from one company and a vaporizer from another company?

• 2 months later...

As a follow-up, the wife & I have been using the ecigs for over 2 months now and have been tobacco free since we started them!

Neither of us have had a craving for a cigarette! I did try to smoke a cigarette about a month after we started vaping just to make sure I wasn't missing anything and I couldn't get through 2 drags off it, it was awful!

Our new hobby has become mixing our own eCig "juice"! This lets us control the strengths of the flavors and nicotine and is pretty fun coming up with some unique flavor mixes!

After trying several devices, my favorite has become the Prodigy v3.1 from PureSmoker.com! I opted for the 6v package and must say it is hard to go back to a 3.7v device. Using dual-coil low-resistence cartomizers (single unit with refillable cartridge and dual heating coils) with the Prodigy provides the most vapor and best experience for me. If you are in need of a lower cost kit, I can also recommend the KGO 1100mAh kit from hoosierecigsupply.com. It has everything needed to provide a good experience, but I'll be sticking with the Prodigy!

I had been a smoker for over 30 years with the last few years being 1.5 packs a day of Camel Filter HPs.

I quit smoking the 1st day I got the eCigs and haven't missed them a bit! Anyone considering them as an alternative to smoking should do themselves a favor and give them a try! If you don't already smoke tho, I wouldn't recommend anyone start using nicotine!

I'm actually not a smoker, but thinking about the E-cig as a safer alternative for my dad. He's 62 and been smoking at least since he was 30. I worry about his health as he has been to the emergency room complaining of chest pains, hard to breathe. But that resulted from an infection in the lung( smoking was not helping it either).

Actually was looking into this: www.vaporsmiths.com Thinking it would be a great christmas present and a great way to start off to a healthier new year.