Which optics or scope is better for AR15?

Guest TargetShooter84

Guest TargetShooter84
What price range are you looking at?

That would help us narrow down the best bang for the buck.

Dolomite

I would say that $200 would be the max for optics and mount altogether.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that $200 would be the max for optics and mount altogether.

WOW! just take your time and save up a little more cash. it will worth it in the long run. say a weaver 1 x 3 scope and say model 1, 1 peice mount about 250.00

Vortex, aimpoint style red dot with mount should be under $200.00 but just remember that most red dots are 4 M.O.A. so shooting at 200 yards it is the size of a basketball.

Save your money and buy an Aimpoint. Buy once and never worry about your optic again. I have put multiple aimpoints through hell and back with no functional damage whatsoever. Cosmetically they are trashed, but they still shoot point of aim and have live batteries.

No worries about turning it off or on. Leave it on and swap the batteries out every few years.

And if you need more of a reason to look at one of these optics look at what Vickers was able to do to one and still have it operate.

http://youtu.be/89HEefl1KI4

M4 Torture Test Promo - YouTube

Mike

I disagree. There are several brands that are reliable for under $200. Vortex, Mueller, Hawke, Bushnell and Burris all have rifle scopes under $200 including mounts.

I have a Hawke Varminter II that has been used for all kinds of shooting. It keeps zero and is 100% repeatable in it's adjustments. Every Mueller I have owned has been great and those are as clear as every VX-II I have looked through. The Burris' are also a value. Midway has a 10x mil/mil on sale for $200 but was on sale before for $179. It is a great optic.

I agree you get what you pay for but there are instances where you pay more for what you get.

Dolomite

I disagree. There are several brands that are reliable for under $200. Vortex, Mueller, Hawke, Bushnell and Burris all have rifle scopes under $200 including mounts.

I have a Hawke Varminter II that has been used for all kinds of shooting. It keeps zero and is 100% repeatable in it's adjustments. Every Mueller I have owned has been great and those are as clear as every VX-II I have looked through. The Burris' are also a value. Midway has a 10x mil/mil on sale for $200 but was on sale before for $179. It is a great optic.

I agree you get what you pay for but there are instances where you pay more for what you get.

Dolomite

What i meant was a tactical style scope with magnification that can take some abuse and is a true 1-4x style...you can get a nice redfield scope for $100 thats a 3-9x but its not really a true "AR" scope though its fine for shooting some animals that don't shoot back.

What i meant was a tactical style scope with magnification that can take some abuse and is a true 1-4x style...you can get a nice redfield scope for $100 thats a 3-9x but its not really a true "AR" scope though its fine for shooting some animals that don't shoot back.

If your primary target is varmint that shoot back, I wouldn't want to cheap out on any part of my build.

the set up pictured is that yours? how you see through the scope? all mine i have to, have the eye piece at the about the chargeing handle. 1st to have the eye relief correct, 2nd so i can get to the chargeing handle. even the without the chargeing handle mine are still forward.

note: 2 of mine are side charger only, no charging handle.

Here are a bunch that would be fine, some new from opticsplanet and some used from SWFA:

Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy XLT Rifle Scope DEMO-A

Bushnell 1-4x32 Banner Dusk & Dawn Shotgun Scope DEMO-B

Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle Scope DEMO-A

Swift 1.5-4.5x32 Premium Rifle Scope DEMO-C

Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope DEMO-B

Weaver V-3 1-3 x 20 mm Matte Black Duplex Hunting Rifle Scope FREE S&H 849400.

Swift 1.5-4.5x32mm Premier Waterproof Matte Riflescope - 648M Rifle scope FREE S&H SRP648M.

Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5x32 Rifle Scope Matte Multi-X 711545 Riflescope FREE S&H 711545.

Bushnell Banner 1-4x32 Rifle Scope Matte Circle-X 711432 Riflescope FREE S&H 711432.

Vortex Crossfire 2x20mm V-Plex Reticle Riflescopes CRF-13-P FREE S&H CRF-13-P.

I wouldn't feel undergunned with the majority of the ones on the list. They provide enough magnification for an AR. As a matter of fact I have been looking for a lower powered scope for one of my guns so this let me do a bit more looking around at what is out there.

A decent set of rings that aren't QD or something else crazy can be had for under $30. I have also used two seperate rings for years without issue. How do you think everyone did it before the fancy one piece rings came to market?

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

no idea, (on the rings). i went in the service in the 70's got out in the 90's there were no A3 or M4's but do believe they were being issued. the only one i knew about back then was the Colt HBar with the optic super high on the carry handle.

anyway when i got out i did want anything to do with any of it.

it took me several years after i started handgun matches, to be up to getting one. i really wanted to start 3 gun but to use something that looked like a M 16, was hard to do. i borrowed one once in awhile to go play. thought about a AK but that was worse.

anyway i still do not build mine to what would be tact cool. my sbr did have a railed forearm though. and that's a big part of why when i did get a eotech it was the "N" battery type. because all the tact cool guys turned there noses up at it.

Robert

Found a few more I would consider reliable for under $200.

Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Riflescope $149

Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7X32 $149

Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5-4.5x32 $179

Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm Riflescope $189

Millett 1-4x24 Designated Marksman Scope $199

Even though it is out of stock I am gonig to try to see if any of the other vendors will price match this one:

Bushnell Trophy 1-4X24 Riflescope Illum. 4A Reticle Matte $166

A lot of these Burris scopes on this page and the following pages are good enough. Most are well under the $200 mark:

Burris Scopes at Natchezss

Dolomite

the set up pictured is that yours? how you see through the scope? all mine i have to, have the eye piece at the about the chargeing handle. 1st to have the eye relief correct, 2nd so i can get to the chargeing handle. even the without the chargeing handle mine are still forward.

note: 2 of mine are side charger only, no charging handle.

Nope, web photo, but I have been looking at this one for a long time and plan on ordering soon. It has a good eye relief distance.

Guest TargetShooter84

Just letting you guys know that I am not ignoring all these posts....I am researching all of those...just taking my time to do it thoroughly....lots of info to go through! But very much appreciated! Especially to Dolomite!