Vascular Dementia

daddyo

My dad has been recently diagnosed with vascular dementia. He will be 88 years old Wednesday. He is a WWII Vet who flew a P-47 Thunderbolt in the Pacific Theater. He had a brain bleed back in July that has gotten progressively worse and we think he has had some small strokes since then, exacerbating the condition. He has been shuffled back and forth between the hospital and rehab and today will be transported to an Alzheimers/Memory Care facility because it is clear that he cannot go home.

Anyone here ever had to deal with this with a parent or other family member?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not directly with a personal family member, but 75-80% of my patients have moderate to profound dementia.

If he's going to an ALF in Franklin, there's a good chance that someone from my practice sees patients there.

Please feel free to PM me some contact info and I'll be happy to talk to you at any point.

:rolleyes:

Guest Bill'dYourOwnGun

Daddyo, first, sorry to hear about your dad's health. We are thankful for his service to our country.

We have banked one daughters cord blood stem cells and our other daughter we banked both cord blood stem cells and cord tissue. If your dad's doc says cord blood/tissue stem cells will help please let us know so we can contact our agent at the cord bank. According to our agent the cord tissue we banked can provide almost an unlimited supply of stem cells.

DaddyO,

I am sorry to hear that you and your family are having to deal with this.

My uncle Mark is suffering from multi-infarct dementia which is the most common form of vascular dementia it has taken a lot of family support to keep him at home as his condition has progressed. My Aunt Pat would not have it any other way. If you wish to talk or share PM me and we can exchange info. There are also several forums on this subject and some great info and support out there.

Best regards and prayers

Pat