Anyone else having page loading delays?

Raoul

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just like it says. Last few days I'm having some pretty good lag time. Anybody else?

Yep. Hour or two of just crawling during prime time over the last week or more.

Like the last hour or so. Seems to have snapped back to okay just a few min ago.

(edit: oops, never mind, intermittent).

Probably some other site hogging things; or is this no longer a shared server situation?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Seems ad related to me. Some ads take forever to fetch (this seems random), but the actual site is fast, but the site page waits for the ad to load first. I am not going to mention the obvious fix for this.

Ad loading is getting to be a problem on lots of sites. It also seems to have become an issue over the last 6 months or so. I'm noticing delays on a bunch of news sites that are definitely ad related.

Ad loading is getting to be a problem on lots of sites. It also seems to have become an issue over the last 6 months or so. I'm noticing delays on a bunch of news sites that are definitely ad related.

Yes, I am not sure what the deal is. Even if you turn off adobe adplayer, the images still gum up the works, its like the big ad companies found a bulk deal on 386's with 14.4 modems and are now using those for servers.

• Administrator
After 5pm, I just give up. Early morning works fine, but the evenings are horrible.
TGO was loading horribly slow last night around 9:30 or so. It had cleared up by around 11PM. I run Ad Block Plus, so I never load the ads. Other sites were loading just fine, so it was probably a server issue.

I can tell you that I have absolutely not had any such experiences with the site on the new server except for a few instances where Tactical Republic's ads seem to be slow. And when that is the case you will see references to that in the status bar of your browser while it waits on TR's servers to catch up. As for the TGO server itself, we are kicking ass and taking names as of late. It's simply a beast and hasn't broken a sweat with us yet.

If you're seeing delays, it is likely TR or even your ISP. I will email TR and ask them what the situation is.

• Administrator
TGO was loading horribly slow last night around 9:30 or so. It had cleared up by around 11PM. I run Ad Block Plus, so I never load the ads. Other sites were loading just fine, so it was probably a server issue.

Whether you display the ads in your browser or not, the page loads still depend on the ads being served. You're putting 2+2 together and coming up with 5 somehow.

Adblock, the speed of the ads servers and the speed of our server have nothing to do with each other. It's not a TGO server issue. I've been watching it very closely since we moved to the new hosting company and have had zero ... repeat, ZERO ... signs that our server is doing anything less than an absolutely stellar job.

I can tell you that I have absolutely not had any such experiences with the site on the new server except for a few instances where Tactical Republic's ads seem to be slow. And when that is the case you will see references to that in the status bar of your browser while it waits on TR's servers to catch up. As for the TGO server itself, we are kicking ass and taking names as of late. It's simply a beast and hasn't broken a sweat with us yet.

If you're seeing delays, it is likely TR or even your ISP. I will email TR and ask them what the situation is.

Thanks for the ad reference. I'll try to keep an eye on TR to verify on my end. My guess is that's the problem. I'm having similar issues with a couple of other sites and it is definitely an ad loading issue with them.

Whether you display the ads in your browser or not, the page loads still depend on the ads being served. You're putting 2+2 together and coming up with 5 somehow.

Adblock, the speed of the ads servers and the speed of our server have nothing to do with each other. It's not a TGO server issue. I've been watching it very closely since we moved to the new hosting company and have had zero ... repeat, ZERO ... signs that our server is doing anything less than an absolutely stellar job.

Okay. Take away the ad load issue. TGO was still horribly slow last night for a while. It was the only site I experienced problems with. Every other site I visited loaded quickly, with no delays. So, something was going on here.

• Administrator

If you would, shoot me a link or two to the other sites so that I can see if they are running TR ads as well. It would definitely help our case with TR if there is a commonality between TGO and these other sites. TR knows that they have had performance issues in the past and they are generally very quick to respond if there is a legitimate problem. :blush:

• Administrator
Okay. Take away the ad load issue. TGO was still horribly slow last night for a while. It was the only site I experienced problems with. Every other site I visited loaded quickly, with no delays. So, something was going on here.

I'm looking at our performance stats for the evening last night and never see a load average above 1.2 for the server. And that spike occurred during nightly backups, which is forgivable. :blush:

I'm looking at our performance stats for the evening last night and never see a load average above 1.2 for the server. And that spike occurred during nightly backups, which is forgivable. :blush:

Makes me wonder if it's not an IE 9 issue on my couch laptop.

Makes me wonder if it's not an IE 9 issue on my couch laptop.

Nah, FireFox here.

I'm looking at our performance stats for the evening last night and never see a load average above 1.2 for the server. And that spike occurred during nightly backups, which is forgivable. :)

Nonetheless, there's some new limiter periodically going on over the last week or so; as usual, I have 3-10 tabs open most all the time, and it'll only be TGO lagging. Seems to kick in somewhere in the 9pm-midnight eastern.

Almost like number of users being limited or IP range block or something, if not actual server load? Switch/router on host? Something.

- OS