MCTS 3-Gun Match on October 1, 2011

Guest gw2and4

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son and I attended the match yesterday and had a great time. It was the first 3-gun match for both of us. The weather was ideal and courses of fire were fun. Everyone was very helpful and welcomed us as new shooters.

Thanks for getting the scores posted so quickly.

Guest gw2and4
was a young man name Lucas Campbell there? did not see his name on the scores. i know his dad was planning on taking him.

thanks

He wasn't in my squad if he shot.

Sent from my iPhone 4

I had a great time guys! It was my first match, as you can see by the fact that I came in last! If I can get my FN SLP rockin' and lower my PD I should gain a little ground. (those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them) Look out #26 I'm on your tail! :)

Hope to do it again soon. Be safe.

Guest gw2and4
I had a great time guys! It was my first match, as you can see by the fact that I came in last! If I can get my FN SLP rockin' and lower my PD I should gain a little ground. (those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them) Look out #26 I'm on your tail! :)

Hope to do it again soon. Be safe.

It's ok...your buddy Broox beat me by 0.38 seconds to make up for it. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4

Guest gw2and4
what is worse: To be beaten by .38 seconds by the guy in eighth place or to be beaten by over a minute by the guy in first?

Neither bugs me at all. Especially since Saturday's match was a lot of fun AND gave me some valuable malfunction clearance experience with my 870 (which I understand from experienced shotgunners isn't very common).

Turns out I caused the issue myself by using the stock 6-round tube spring when I installed the Nordic +4 tube to make it 8+1. Initially the spring was fine to feed rounds, but after about 100 rounds, it realized that it was inadequate. And not while my buddy Robert was running it on stage 5 with slugs, but it waited specially for me to take over before it failed. :up:

I ended up getting through the rest of the day ok by taking the spring out of the tube and stretching it out as much as I could as a field repair.

When I clean it tonight, I plan to install the Nordic 8-round tube spring that came with the +4 extension. That way, it should become 100% reliable again.

Sent from my iPhone 4

.... Saturday's match was a lot of fun AND gave me some valuable malfunction clearance experience with my 870 (which I understand from experienced shotgunners isn't very common).....

Glenn,

That spring will help for sure!

Also, I bet the reason you didn't have any problems with the slug shots was that they are high brass shells. Once they get hot, 870s don't care too much for the cheap Wally World shot shells that have the short aluminum metal head if that was what you were using on the other stages.

Guest gw2and4
Glenn,

That spring will help for sure!

Also, I bet the reason you didn't have any problems with the slug shots was that they are high brass shells. Once they get hot, 870s don't care too much for the cheap Wally World shot shells that have the short aluminum metal head if that was what you were using on the other stages.

It was the slugs when it was failing to feed. The only two kinds of ammo I've ever had the failures to extract/eject when hot were Winchester "W" Super Target white box and Rio something or other. Both I think are cheap plastic hulls that expand too much. It eats everything else I've put through it. At least 10 different kinds. Runs fine with the Federal field loads from Wally World. And that's what I feed it most often.

The only issue was the spring tension not being adequate to throw the round out of the tube. Now that I put in a proper spring--she's feeding like an 870 again.

Sent from my iPhone 4

.... Now that I put in a proper spring--she's feeding like an 870 again.....

Outstanding! :)

Thanks for the tip about the Federal loads. Now that I think about it, the couple of FTE issues that I have had over the years has always been with the Winchester stuff.

Hmmmmm......

Guest gw2and4
Outstanding! :poop:

Thanks for the tip about the Federal loads. Now that I think about it, the couple of FTE issues that I have had over the years has always been with the Winchester stuff.

Hmmmmm......

Last 3-gun on Aug 20, my buddy was running my 870 using Winchester Super Target with the red W on the white box. He couldn't get them to eject. It was after I had run each stage and warmed up the gun, so more pronounced. That was a totally different issue where the hulls expanded so much that they didn't want to extract from the chamber. And it was worse than I had with the Rio green-hull bird shot I tried. One box of that was 24 more rounds too many after the first one locked up my 870's action...

My favorite ammo to run is Winchester AA light target or the handicap loads. They seem to take down steel with a vengeance at these matches. Especially when you hit the plates square on and the wad bounces off the plate as it goes down. But that stuff costs like $6.50 per 25 rounds so I don't use it anymore. The $4 per box Federal field loads in 7.5 birdshot run great in everything I've seen from my 870 on up to an SLP.

Now you got me all excited for another 3-gun or shotgun side match... If only I knew someone on the club's executive committee and could request they add this to the schedule... :)

• 2 weeks later...