AK ammo with corrosive primers

Andyshowfan

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an 'FYI', Berdan does not equal corrosive. I don't know of any newly-manufactured ammo with corrosive primers. All of the Wolf, Barnaul, and other ammo currently being imported have non-corrosive primers. If you run across older Yugoslavian, Chinese, or Russkie ammo, it may have corrosive priming. It's not a big deal. The only place an AK has for the corrosion to affect is the barrel and gas system. That's the primary reason those parts are chromed on military weapons. As posted above, if you are in the habit of cleaning your weapons, you'll never see a problem.

+1 on the yugo m67. .dont worry bout that "corrosive" label. .Robert Farnsworth over there in Vonore was telling me that he's seen the test that determines whether or not it gets the corrosive label . . . it barely does. . only the slightest differential from neutral ambient conditions could be discerned. . but not in all test examples. . .so they give it the corrosive label. . .he said that was all he's ever shot in his personal AK's and he confessed that he seldom cleans them. He said the red stuff around the primer gunking up around the firing pin if you dont keep it relatively clean can build up with long periods of sustained fire. . he siad and that didnt hurt function he could just see it. . I keep mine clean. . but I dont poor ammonia down it at the range then run in the door and clean it. . . I dont worry if I shoot it Fri. . then Sat. . then Sun. give it a little Hoppes #9 and very very very very lightly oil. . good to go. My Poly's barrel and internals are pristine. . .and Ive been shootin the crap out of mine. .

Yugo surp is corrosive BTW. I missed a spot around the gas port on my WASR and picked up a little surface rust there.

Since then, I use a pipe cleaner w/ Hoppe's to detail clean the port, and all the little holes in the gas block. No problems since.

Yugo surplus is good stuff.

Hot water on all the affected areas to neutralize the corrosive priming salts, dry, then clean like normal. It may add 10-15 minutes to your cleaning routine. Big deal.

I've been firing corrosive 5.45 and 7.62x39 for years. Can't tell it in any of my rifles.

my guess is you will not use it. One guy saying it is bad news way outweighs 25 other guys saying it is fine. :D:P

Lmao, true .

On second thought if its Yugo surplus just buy it and then give me a shout and I will

relieve you of the berdan burden :D