Looking to boar hunt TN!

What do you recommend for deer and turkey guys who want to hunt pigs for the first time? A buddy from work and I grew up hunting and fishing around here, but put it off for a few years due to kids and work stuff but want to get out and get a couple. I keep a deer kit and a turkey kit at the ready. Seriously, I keep 2 blacked out rubbermaid bins in the guest bath tub, my wife HATES it, but I can pretty much grab a gun and a box to go get food. But, I don't have a pig kit because I've never been. I've seen a few ferals while hunting other stuff, but never took one. I will eat, wear and use anything I kill, but the mrs won't have anything to do with pigs. Which is also why I haven't been. As always , when I ask for info, any and all is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of this year, the hunting of Feral Hogs/Wild Boar is illegal in the state of Tennessee. The only exceptions is one of two WMA's out in the eastern part of the state, someone with private property who would be willing to put you on a list, or any number of hunting reserves. That's it!

As of this year, the hunting of Feral Hogs/Wild Boar is illegal in the state of Tennessee. The only exceptions is one of two WMA's out in the eastern part of the state, someone with private property who would be willing to put you on a list, or any number of hunting reserves. That's it!

I am going to try North Cumberland WMA a little, per the book, pg 74

Wild hogs may be taken during any, hunt with hunting devices legal for that hunt.

I live with in reasonable drive. I am starting to look for me a hunting spot now.

I want to have a chance to shoot a wild hog this year. I probably won't see one and will probably screw around and mess up my deer hunting at the same time.

Edited by vontar
I am going to try North Cumberland WMA a little, per the book, pg 74

I live with in reasonable drive. I am starting to look for me a hunting spot now.

I want to have a chance to shoot a wild hog this year. I probably won't see one and will probably screw around and mess up my deer hunting at the same time.

I thought about trying N. Cumberland as well. Seems like it would be a fun trip for a few days if I can get far enough from the trails (I think they get some pretty heavy ATV use). I also like it that I could camp anywhere. I talked to the TWRA guy last year about it. He said he sees more turkeys than deer, but he has seen some big deer. I didn't ask him about hogs.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I'd recommend Loshbough Hunting Lodge... It's a guided hunt in a 500 acre reserve and the hogs are pretty much all raised there. Great folks and good animals to hunt (I've pulled two 400+ lb boars out of there).

Full disclosure - Loshbough has been a client of mine in the past.

Guest adamoxtwo
I'd recommend Loshbough Hunting Lodge... It's a guided hunt in a 500 acre reserve and the hogs are pretty much all raised there. Great folks and good animals to hunt (I've pulled two 400+ lb boars out of there).

Full disclosure - Loshbough has been a client of mine in the past.

How much to they charge and do you have a website?

Loshbaugh charges $700.00 for a guided pig hunt? Mann's Mountain in Guntersville charges 1.50 per pound on a guided hunt. Like I said when Tennessee changed their hog regulations....I'll hunt Alabama from here on out. TWRA apparently don't need my money!

Guest barknoxvillebrawler

Catoosa during season or during qouta hunt,big south fork, or cherokee. I have been drawn for Catoosa this year. We have hunted bsf the last4 years. 2 hogs taken. One 350 and one 225 that i shot in feb of this year. More hogs at cherokee or catoosa. But cherokee is hard to hunt as its huge. Wherever you go.......put in the time and scout it. You wont walk in off the road or trail and find them close. They dont like people...and they stay away from anything close to the often used trail. Good luck! Almost what it is!

Guest barknoxvillebrawler
So is Cherokee national forest open to hogs or just the WMA portion?

Just the wma part. A lot of hogs at cherokee but cherokee is huge. Scout creek bottoms, creek outlets an thickets at sunrise that are low in elevation. After 9 am, mostly you have to hunt the highlands as the get up high to bed down. There a challenge.....and fun to hunt.

thank you all for the info. i just saw that they prohibit wild boar hunting on twra's website. i guess the only execption for me is to find a land owner who has the "removal permit" for their land or to hit up a hunting lodge, which i assume have the same allowances from the state.