I found a night sight option for my PF-9

I really like my hard chrome KelTec PF9. It is small, easy to carry, accurate and reliable. The one thing that has always bugged me about it is the cheap front sight and lack of available tritium night sights. I have been emailing KelTec and others trying to find out if anyone makes them. Trijicon referred me to a gunsmith that does. For $300, I could have Tritium night sights on my PF9. KELTEC

It's a little involved because it requires dovetailing the slide to accommodate a better (metal) front sight and then installing a new rear sight. I am torn. I only paid about $300 for this gun in the first place. Has anyone had this kind of work done before? I would rather take it to a local gunsmith that does good work. I would also like to pay less. I don't know if I feel good about doubling the cost of the gun for night sights. I know I could pick up a set of aftermarket tritium sights made for another gun (but similar) for about $80, but the dovetailing and custom fitting is what drives the cost up.

Part of me thinks that $300 is well worth it for quality sights on a gun that I carry so much, especially in low light conditions. On the other hand, $300 could add to my savings for my next handgun purchase (Springfield 1911 Loaded Champion ;)).

I know I could also do a laser on it but not really what I want.

Has anyone been down this road before or have gunsmithing experience with the feasibility of something like this?

Edited by Batman
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would do this before spending $300 for the dovetail service then another $65 for the sight itself. It is what I have done to every pistol I own and it works absolutely wonderful.

Because it already has a white dot there should be a recess in the front sight. Buy an appropaite sized drill bit, I normally use a size that looks to be one size smaller than the dot. Then, by hand, drill the white dot out. If it is just barely a dimple then continue to drill it out by hand until the hole is as deep as it is wide. It doesn't take much and if only the dot needs to be removed it takes a minute or two. If you have to drill the steel it generally takes me about 10 minutes by hand. DO NOT USE A DRILL!, it is too easy for it to get away from you.

Next take some two part epoxy, I use the 1 hour stuff. Mix it up and add some of the glow in the dark pigment that is available online. Mix in enough that it looks like a green glob that smooths out after about 20 seconds of sitting. Now take a toothpick or something similar and dab a small amount in the hole. Allow it to settle for a minute or two and it will look like a small smooth dimple. If it sinks flush with the hole you need a little more. After you get a nice rounded dab of the epoxy and glow pigment mixture sprinkle more glow in the dark pigment on the still wet mixture. This gives it even more glow in the dark properties and helps crust over the dab to keep it from sagging easily as it dries. It also makes the dot have more of a matte finish so if shooting in sunlight you won't get glare. During the day the green is light enough that it is as good as a white dot.

Now set the pistol to where the dab will remain level with the ground for a few hours. The two part epoxy is impervious to most solvents you might use on your gun. As a matter of fact I use brake cleaner and it hasn't affected it in anyway.

Walmart sells drill bits individually so you can get those as well as the epoxy there.

For the glow in the dark powder I only use this:

Ultra Green v10 Glow in the Dark Powder -

1/4 ounce has done at lest 5 guns for me and I can't tell I've used any so far. Do not buy the glow in the dark paint from them. All it is mixed with is clear fingernail polish and most solvents will break it down. I did and wasn't impressed so I went back to the epoxy.

You might be able to find the glow pigment a little cheaper on Ebay but beware of imposters.

Now when you use your gun in lowlight all you need is a second or two of light from the flashlight and the dot will glow long enough for you to have resolved any problems. I know mine will stay "bright" for 10-15 minutes then begin to fade. It is still visible for a few hours but all it takes is a second to recharge.

Just figured this might be a cheaper alternative for you. Or at least to see if you like having night sights on your pistol. At the most you should have $25 but in most cases you can get everything for under $20.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I have used the epoxy method with titanium dioxide (the whitest substance known to man) on a lot more than 5 guns. It makes for a really, really white dot that will not yellow or break down.

Dolomite

Guest Broomhead

I did similar to the above post, but drilled the holes all the way through and used replacement fiber optic 'sticks' for shotgun sights. Just use a sharp blade and spin the stick while gently applying pressure with the blade. Bam, you have fiber optic sights.

night sights on a belly gun? it just does not sound right to me.

p.s I also own a pf9.

My PF9 groups as tight as my HK USPc if I do my part. I actually like the sights on the PF9, just want to get them a bit brighter. I've decided not to spend a bunch of money on it though.

The HK has night sights, but the PF9 gets a lot more carry time.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Edited by Batman