Ruger 10/22 vs. S&W M&P 15/22 vs Keltec Sub-2000

pattywak

Wow! Lots of different opinions here, interesting, so here’s my view: I’ve shot several different 10-22’s and like them but dislike the newer plastic polymer trigger assembly. In wood and metal gun’s I just like metal in the trigger assembly. The 10-22 is more than accurate enough, lightweight and can easily have a scope mounted on it.

The S&W M&P 15-22 is my personal favorite being lightweight, compact, accurate and fun to shoot. Mine is the 15-22 MOE and the polymer flip up sights work remarkably well even sighting through a low powered scope. It breaks down easily, can carry a variety of optic and operates like any other AR. It’s one of the most prudent purchases I’ve made.

On the Sub2000 all I can offer is your shooting a pistol cartridge which by its very nature will be more expensive than .22LR. I love the way it’s made, looks and folds but don’t believe I’d purchase one. Instead I’d be more inclined to go with a HiPoint 9x19mm or .45ACP pistol caliber carbine. Yes, they’re homely and look clunky, but are also accurate and affordable.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Curley78

M&P 15-22 hands down..! Way better trigger and all around quality. I have 2 10-22's. Just got my M&P a while back. Newer model. Don't know a thing about the older ones. By the time you get the Ruger close to customized or the way you want it, you will be past the price of the M&P 15-22.

I can't recommend the 15-22 highly enough. Great gun! I want my weapons to function properly, but I also want them to look good. The M&P is the complete package. This comes from a guy who thinks that Glocks are things of beauty, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt.

I have a 10/22 and it would be one of the last guns I would sell. I have shot an m&p a good amount at the range, and I would not knock it. However, for me, I cannot see spending of 2x the amount to get something that looks cooler. I know people have mentioned the improved trigger, and I did not notice that. Granted my 10/22 has probably hundereds of thousands of rounds through it, so the trigger has probably smoothed out quiet a bit.

You seem to be limited by your budget, so in my mind, it does not make any sense to spend $300 more to end up with a gun that accomplishes no more than what you could have for cheaper. My wife would say that is thinking too logical, and you should just buy what you want.

I would say, if you can save that extra $300, that puts you a long way toward what you really want; an AR.

After thought: I should try to reiterate, I am not knocking the M&P 15/22 at all. They shoot great. Given what your limitations are and where you seem to be interested in going, I see no point in buying a "trainer gun" just so you can get used to the gun that you really want. Either way, they would both be great choices, and if I have unlimited funds, I would have two of each. :)

Edited by dats82

It really comes down to what you want. Fixing the 10/22 trigger is cheap and easy. The M&P is a great rifle, and is worth the money if you'll enjoy it more than the 10/22.

I haven't shot my .22's in awhile. My AR's get most of my attention these days. If I do decide to go on a rimfire shooting binge, the 10/22 suits me just fine. But... that's just me.

Guest Smith653

I just recently purchased the M&P 15-22,and I absolutly love it, it feels great,shoots great and eats any kind of ammo you run thru it. it's very aesy to clean, and lots of options you can put on this gun. If you want an AR type shooter, this is it. Thats that, and you can never go wrong with the 10/22. I also have the Colt M4, the GSG5,the Ruger SR22. They are all great shooters,except the Colt, its very ammo finicky, but as closest to the feel of a real AR IMHO.