Permethrin / Permanone - Tick and Chigger repellent

Some of ya'll may be aware of Permethrin and Permanone, but I think it's my duty to inform the world. The way this works is, you spray your clothes, let it dry, and enjoy tick/chigger/mosquito free outdoor trips. I spray all my hunting clothes and gear. I have been using this for the last couple years and I have been tick and chigger free while wearing treated clothing. The other two things I do to help is tuck in my shirt and tuck my pants into my boots. I hate chiggers and even worse than chiggers are seed ticks.

Permanone is the commercially available aerosol spray sold as tick or mosquito repellent. REPEL recently changed the name on their can, but it's still orange and blue. Coulston's sells it under the name Duranon. They all work well, but can get expensive.

I found a cheaper solution on the internet. Permethrin is the key ingredient in the commercial aerosol sprays. Permethrin is also sold as a livestock and lawn treatment chemical. I buy it in the 10% solution and cut it back to the .5%. This is the same percentage used in the aerosols.

I mix 1 ounce of Permethrin 10% with 20oz of water in a 24oz plastic spray bottle. Shake well before each use.

DurationTM Permethrin 10% Concentrate claims to be the only EPA registered permethrin 10% concentrate approved for use on clothing. The problem is that it can be hard to find. Duration also sells ready to use .5% solutions.

Amazon.com: DurationTM

Caution: many Permethrin agricultural products are oil based to aid sticking. Use on clothing could result in stained clothing and long drying time and isn't recommended. Also some agricultural products also contain Piperonyl Butoxide(PBO) which is toxic. Lots of guys are using the agro products, but I have found what I believe to be an acceptable alternative.

This is the Permethrin I buy:

Amazon.com: Permethrin 10%: Sports & Outdoors

Martins doesn't claim to be EPA clothing approved, but it doesn't list petroleum or PBO in the ingredients.

The consensus I have come to while researching all the do's and don't is that most of the 10% Permethrin is probably fine when cut to .5%, just avoid the ones that list PBO in the ingredients. You can find Permethrin 10% at Rural King and Tractor Supply Company or your local CO-OP.

I keep a spray bottle mixed up and spray my clothes each time I wash them. The commercial products state that they last through 2 washings, but I don't want to push my luck. I keep a can of the aerosol in the truck and hit my boots and pants legs before walking in too. This has come in handy when wearing work clothes and deciding to check a game cam or do a little spontaneous scouting. My experience is that once these products dry, they have no odor.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Broomhead

Just be very careful with Permethrin and Termethrin, both are synthetic derivatives of extracts from the Poinsettia flower, which is toxic to humans and animals. We used some of the 'safe for humans' spray on some clothing before we went out to my In-Laws (bad tick area) and my youngest, almost 2, broke out really bad for a week and a half. She had big red welts with raised white bumps/hives that either itched or burned, we're not sure which, but she'd cry whenever someone/something touched or rubbed up against them. Washing the affected area helped, but the rash would just pop right back up in another place. Hydro-cortisone had no effect, and you can't use Benedryl on kids her age (that's what her Dr said).

Just be careful with the stuff, it can be highly toxic.

When my son and I were in scouts, right before summer camp at Boxwell Reservation we would hang our clothes up on the patio and spray them down with Permanone and then let them air dry. Neither he nor I had any problems with ticks or chiggers the entire week. Good stuff.

As a Forester ticks and chiggers are a constant everyday work hazard. Nothing works better than Perminone, and it will last for a couple weeks even through washings. I have seen people put it directly on their skin and I would NOT do that. It's not healthy, I would also take care to tand upwind when applying as to not breathe it in.

Some might say "if it's so unhealthy, why use it". My answer is because Lyme disease is far worse I've know guys who have gotten it and it can be a very debilitating condition and hard to diagnose early. I would recommend that everyone use some sort of tick repellant before entering the woods. It's just not worth the risk.

Good advice. I usually use the stuff in the warmer months to help keep myself free of ticks and chiggers. I got lazy a few weeks ago and checked my cameras without proper clothing and without spraying. Well, I got schooled on chiggers again. Those suckers have no mercy!