Caliber War (pistol)

What Criteria are Most Imporant to You, When Selecting a Caliber for Carry?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. What Criteria are Most Imporant to You, When Selecting a Caliber for Carry?

• Large-Bore ( greater than .400" / 10mm )
    • Medium-Bore ( .355" / 9mm - to - .400" / 10mm )
    • Small-Bore ( less than .355" / 9mm )
    • High-Velocity ( greater than 1200fps - Super-Sonic )
    • Medium-Velocity ( 1000-1200fps - Trans-Sonic )
    • Low-Velocity ( less than 1000fps - Sub-Sonic )
    • Heavy-Weight Projectile ( greater than 180gr )
    • Medium-Weight Projectile ( 120-180gr )
    • Light-Weight Projectile ( less than 120gr )

We haven't had a 'caliber war' yet...

This is only meant to spur intelligent debate, and provide a setting for describing the reasons for your selected choice... Not to provoke animousity (the 'caliber war' connotation is not meant to be taken literally)

For myself, there are a few calibers which I have little interest in... but mainly because I believe there are better choices, not because those calibers themselves are in-significant.

I want to know what the most important external ballistic criteria are for the caliber which you prefer to carry... if you would like to expound on your reasons, or specify a particular caliber, bring on the posts!

When responding, please assume that Shot Placement < and Projectile construction (JHP) > is equal in all cases.

I realize that ammo-cost/availability is a reason for selection... I am looking for performance preferences only.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'll bite.

I prefer big fast moving bullets. I'm not in favor of the slow heavy thing, but the big fast thing. I like the .40 S&W and .45 ACP. In both of these calibers I choose to have a lighter round (200 grain +P in .45 and 155 grain in .40) that travels faster giving a flatter trajectory. In theory, the lighter bullets will shed their energy faster and are less likely to overpenetrate and still have the diameter to cause more tissue damage. The .357 Sig has peaked my interest as well but I haven't had a chance to shoot that particular cartridge. I have owned 9mm guns in the past, but favor the larger calibers.

I believe in shot placement rather than shot count.

Ah, the caliber war. What's a gun board without one?

I've always carried 9mm. When I first got into shooting, it seemed a logical choice for a newbie (low recoil). Also, its a very common round, so easy to find ammo. Next, it was economical. I figured I'd be doing lots of shooting, and ammo cost was a factor. Then, practicality as a SD round was a consideration. 9mm, while perhaps not the best SD round, is adequate.

So, to sum up, the 9mm was a good all-round compromise for a new shooter and one I have stuck with. It also was an easy transition to .357, my revolver cart. of choice.

In closing, let me say something I say to students all the time, and my instructor said to me: Shot placement is more important than the size of the bullet. Hitting the target with a .22LR will be more effective than a miss with a .45ACP, so carry what you are best at hitting the target with.

• Administrator
Ok, I'll bite.

I prefer big fast moving bullets. I'm not in favor of the slow heavy thing, but the big fast thing. I like the .40 S&W and .45 ACP. In both of these calibers I choose to have a lighter round (200 grain +P in .45 and 155 grain in .40) that travels faster giving a flatter trajectory. In theory, the lighter bullets will shed their energy faster and are less likely to overpenetrate and still have the diameter to cause more tissue damage. The .357 Sig has peaked my interest as well but I haven't had a chance to shoot that particular cartridge. I have owned 9mm guns in the past, but favor the larger calibers.

I'm right here with this guy. :D

I carry .45acp exclusively now but I still think the .40SW is the perfect balance of size, speed, mass. I'll own another one someday. :(

I will get a .40 S&W only after I have completed my long-term goal of aquiring a 10mm DW Razorback, and, am set-up to begin reloading for both calibers. At that point I may consider liquidating all of my other handgun calibers (except for .22lr) and reload for .400"/10mm cartridges only. That will simplify keeping bulk supplies. Along a similar thread, I would also like to eventually have only .308"/7.62mm rifle calibers...

But, for right now, variety is the spice of life...

Guest jackdog

I'm real partial to S&W .40. But hey a 9mm is an excellent choice. I also do a lot of carry with a .380. Relly don';t care for anything smaller than a .380.

Caliber really is not as important as ones ability to get on target fast and hit com or head. Double tap com and 1 to the bean is what i strive for. There is no best caliber, The one that you can use most proficiently is the best caliber. the other over riding factor is what can you carry all the time that is easy to get to and the best concealment piece for you. Good multible hits = good multible trauma. To me that improves your chances of survial

Jackdog

I basically use three calibers.

40 S&W is a good urban round for open carry. A good compromise on power and velocity without over-penetrating.

9mm gets the nod for IWB urban use as well as field use in non-urban settings. HP for urban, FMJ for field. Better than the 40 for distant shots and it has always been accurate for me. The gun changes from the P7M8 to the Beretta 92SB depending on use, but the caliber is probably the most versatile around.

380 Auto for BUG and casual carry. A reasonable compromise of power for pistol size IMHO.

Never cared for the 45 ACP. But I'd go that way if I expected short range commies coming over the berm stuff. It was a great round for WWI. :D

Guest ProguninTN

I use 9mm parabellum. I am accustomed to it. I have fired the .40 once. I suppose with more practice, I could use it too. Perhaps another purchase to add to the collection in the future ? :D I also use .357 Magnum. It can get the job done, and why not have the option of switching to .a 38 special load ?

Guest db99wj
:D

I carry .45acp exclusively now but I still think the .40SW is the perfect balance of size, speed, mass. I'll own another one someday. :(

This is exactly why I chose a 40SW. I would like to get the 9mm conversion barrel so that I can more economically shoot, but still be shooting my carry weapon.

Guest GlocKingTN
Ok, I'll bite.

Im also with this guy!

my $.02

.357 Sig & 10x25mm Norma-Auto have the best external ballistics of the common pistol cartridges, in their respective bore sizes... They are more expensive and less available, commercially, That's nothing which can't be overcome by reloading one's own practice ammo. When it comes down to it... reloading .357sig isn't significantly more expensive than 9mm, if you re-use your brass a few times. And has far more potential, performance-wise.

Same for .357 magnum... overall balance & performance is hard to beat amongst the rimmed defensive calibers.

.45 ACP has it's place (and is quite effective)... but IMHO .45 Super and .45 GAP are far more efficient at using their respective case volumes. ACP is popular because it has been around for so long, not because it is the pinnacle of performance in it's case or bore-size. Just like .45 LC has been eclipsed by higher-pressure rimmed cases for serious work, in recent years.

Based on the responses so far... It appears that the general preference is weighted towards fairly heavy, large bore, trans-sonic projectiles.

+180gr

+.400"

1000-1200fps

That would seem to describe cartridges such as:

.44 Special

.45 ACP (std pressure)

.45 GAP

.45 Long Colt

Guest Phantom6
I basically use three calibers.

40 S&W is a good urban round for open carry. A good compromise on power and velocity without over-penetrating.

9mm gets the nod for IWB urban use as well as field use in non-urban settings. HP for urban, FMJ for field. Better than the 40 for distant shots and it has always been accurate for me. The gun changes from the P7M8 to the Beretta 92SB depending on use, but the caliber is probably the most versatile around.

380 Auto for BUG and casual carry. A reasonable compromise of power for pistol size IMHO.

Never cared for the 45 ACP. But I'd go that way if I expected short range commies coming over the berm stuff. It was a great round for WWI. :D

Ballistics wise we are kindred spirits. :D

Well this has died down far too quickly.... ;)

I spotted a magazine this week that gets into the M9/9mm vs. 1911/45 ACP debate for military use. It's the April issue of something. Guns and Ammo - I think (lost my note).

To my surprise, the writer agrees with me and gives the nod to the 9mm.

Guest Old Chief

230 grain .45 caliber, personal preferance. Emphasis on personal preferance. Everyone else should make up their own mind to suit themselves.

I'm far from an expert on ammo, I have chosen what I load on articles in magizines and opinions of others more knowledgable than me. When I seriously started thinking about what I carried and what I loaded it with was in the mid 90s when I bought my Kimber 1911. What I was used to shooting in it was 230 grain hardballs and Federal Hydro Shock 230 grain. Of course alot more harball but when the federal got old I would buy new and shoot up the old, it's what I have always kept loaded in my 1911. One drill I have done is put several numbered sheets of 8-1/2 x 11 paper on a target base and rapid fire one shot on each piece at 7 yards. With my Kimber I am able to keep each shot in the sheet I was shooting at. That's in the torso of an average man. I can do that with this loading so it's just what I am most confident with and even if it's not the best load, it's still a good load.

Now the reason I got the XD-9 was the unavailability of the .45ACP model at the time and another motivation was that in the future I might sell it to one of my sisters or sister in law. Recoil doesn't bother me, I shoot a .357 snubby and had a Raging Bull .454 I used to shoot alot for fun. I actually traded it in for the more practical XD-9. I didn't pistol hunt for deer that much.

Anyway, it's just a matter of what I am accustomed to and what I shoot well with.

Guest Jason F.

I am a fan of 45 acp mainly because my first love when it comes to guns is the 1911 style handgun.

I do not carry a 1911 or a 45 for that matter and that is mainly do to bulk, size, and weight. Even my compact 1911 is a bit to large and heavy for everyday carry. I could get a composite small form factor weapon in .45 but I simply have not worked one into the budget yet.

For that reason I use what I can carry and shot the best and that is a 9mm at the current time, specifically 9x18M.