.22 Target Pistols

ls3_kid

My dad wants one of these and I told him I don't know squat about them, so yet again I turn to you guys for some answers...

Only one I really know about is the Ruger MK i, ii, iii and that's about all I could tell him about them. What should he be looking for if he wants to purchase one of these? What would be considered a fair price for new? LNIB? Heavily used? Also which would be the best to purchase for the money?

Other than the questions surrounding the Ruger what are some other options that he can look into? I know of the S&W Model 41 (?) but those are a little pricey.

I will be conducting some of my own research but maybe some of you can chime in faster than I can find out.

Thanks,

Will

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest justluck

I owned a Ruger MKIII 512 Target, put a red dot on the rail and at 10 yds. you could shoot the eyeball out of a gnat. At 25 yds. you needed something about the size of a rat/mouse for that fete.

The Ruger is a great shooter.

The ruger is awesome. I also really like buckmarks, and the S&W 22a is a great shooter for a bargain. All three are capable of decent groups at 25-50 yards and make fine plinkers or introductory target guns. A good revolver is also great, and a SA revolver has a better trigger than any of the autos out of the box, some of the DA revolvers are just as good.

Guest capt usa

If you're looking for something fun, you may want to look at getting a Chiappa 1911-22. They are very similar to a regular 1911 and a blast to shoot. They offer different models so you can get something in just about any price range.

FYI, Mine doesn't shoot some bulk ammo very well but it does the Blazer brand (and all CCI shells).

If you want a real target pistol the S&W 41 is about the bottom of the price barrel. If you want a gun that is almost as good as a real .22 target pistol then you can do that with a Ruger MK II or III with a trigger job. If you want a "real" .22LR target pistol then you will need to look at Benelli, Pardini and Hammerli. This is a good place to look: Pistols - Larry's Guns Inc.

If you want a real target pistol the S&W 41 is about the bottom of the price barrel. If you want a gun that is almost as good as a real .22 target pistol then you can do that with a Ruger MK II or III with a trigger job. If you want a "real" .22LR target pistol then you will need to look at Benelli, Pardini and Hammerli. This is a good place to look: Pistols - Larry's Guns Inc.

I think he is going to go for something more mild than those. I have talked to him and gave him some information. He said the S&W 41 is the high of his price range right now. My guess is he'll go for the Ruger or S&W 22.

Those high end models are just plain wild.

Thanks for the tips.

Of course, you can always go High Standard. A nice, used High Standard Citation can be gotten for as little as $500. Cheaper Than Dirt has new mags that work well for under $25. It's very hard to find anything that will perform as well anywhere near the price. Like the S&W M41 they are designed to work with Target ammo, so don't expect great results with hi velocity .22s. I have been using the Federal Auto Match and getting excellent groups from my High Standard Victor. At $15/325 rds, it's excellent value.

• 5 weeks later...
Smith & Wesson Model 617

SW617003web.jpg

I drooled at great length over a blued 17-6 today at the fun show. Don't recall what the guy was asking but I went back a coupla hours later to ask again (wanna say $600 but I might be wrong, it was one of those tables that don't have price tags). Good for me dude was too busy swapping BS stories with someone else equally talented on the other side of the table. Really need to study up on Smith .22's 'cause I must have one.

i have a ruger mark III 22/45 target 5.5 bull barrel with a t1 on top of it and its a nice pistol and extremely accurate and affordable to shoot. You can pick one up with the removable grip pannels for low 300's to high 290's but if you want one of the really pretty stainless ones there more money.

Guest hawkeye10
Of course, you can always go High Standard. A nice, used High Standard Citation can be gotten for as little as $500. Cheaper Than Dirt has new mags that work well for under $25. It's very hard to find anything that will perform as well anywhere near the price. Like the S&W M41 they are designed to work with Target ammo, so don't expect great results with hi velocity .22s. I have been using the Federal Auto Match and getting excellent groups from my High Standard Victor. At $15/325 rds, it's excellent value.

I agree! I have a High Standard Citation and just sold a S&W 41 last week. Both are great target pistols but I favor the HS over the S&W. Some will disagree with me on this and that is OK because they are both such good guns. Don

ls3_kid,

If you were here in Clarksville I would install the requisite aftermarket parts to make a Ruger MKII or III (std or 22/45) so that your dad would have pretty darn good target .22. Throw a Ultradot Matchdot or Millet or Tasco ProPoint on the right Ruger and you or your dad might give the high end gun owners a run for their money.

Craig in Clarksville

I was fortunate to grow up shooting Bullseye 50ft. Indoors got to shoot some very nice pistols...

started out with a High Standard HD Millitary then moved through my Dads collection.. a S&W 41 then a S&W 41-1 ( shoots shorts) a High standard 107 and a Citation then finally his Browning Medalist ,..until I got my own

Also shot some club members Rugers from stock to a full on Clark Customs conversion a few K-22s a Walther GSP and OSP a Pardini and a Unique DES/VO never found a High Standard Victor that worked for me though...

For all around use I would probably go for a Ruger MK pistol or a Browning Buckmark , there are alot of aftermarket parts for them..or an older challenger if I could find one. I have an older MK1 I use as a fun gun but when I get serious about bullseye it is the Browning Medalist that comes out to play.

John

I have a Walther P22, SW 317, Volquartzen Ruger MKII, Ruger 22/45, and Beretta 89 Standard. The Walther and 317 are great for plinking, but lack hi-level accuracy. The Mark II's are a blast to shoot in customized form or factory and give great accuracy out of the box. The Beretta will shoot another bullet through any of the holes I made with any of the other pistols. However, the price for each of those was commensurate with what they are. The Walther was sub $300 all the way up to the Beretta which was $800+. Pardini's, Hammeli's, and the Walther SP22 will start around $900+ and go up from there.

It just depends on what level you want to go.

Mac