So I spoke to Sig about their Mosquito

I am in the market for a threaded host for my suppressor. My PacLite upper is not threaded concentric to the bore so I am getting baffle strikes (this is the second one I have bought that does this). This has left me for a need for another host. I shoot a lot, about 1K rounds a week from various platforms but at least 500 through the pistols

I thought about a P22 but don't like the fact that their slides are pot metal. Also, their sights don't screw on in any way they just snap intol place. I have shot a friends and the front sight popped off. He said it happens all the time. Also, such a small gun with my large suppressor would make it hard to hold.

So I though maybe I would like a Sig Mosquito. After all they seem to be quality guns. I called Sig to find out a few things. One was their estimated life span. Their response was if you are meticulous about maintenance and cleaning 10K-15K rounds. That was a big turn off because of how much I use my guns. Then I asked about slide material and the Sig rep said pot metal, I asked after this if he was sure it wasn't aluminum and he said no it was pot metal. Then I asked about warranty repairs and was told if the gun was wearing out from use there is no warranty.

So best case scenario the Sig should last about 30 weeks if I keep up my schedule. Kind of hard for me to buy a $350+ dollar gun only to have it last less than a year. So now I am looking for another Ruger as they are the only guns for me that has a lifespane measured in years, not months.

I have a threaded Kimber that is great but it makes for a heavy gun with my all steel suppressor. ALso, the slide is aluminum which leaves me wondering about its service life as well.

Dolomite

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife couldn't pull the sigs DA trigger, 26 lbs?

And you can't do much to a Rimfire main spring without affecting strikes. My sig example was probably the worst Rimfire pistol I have ever owned. I shoot quite a lot of ammo monthly, especially Rimfire.

I'd agree with getting into another Ruger. Especially with the many options for them.

I got tired of auto rimfires and went back to wheel guns. Picked up the new Taurus 22 convertible 9 shot. I like doing Rimfire and magnum long shots with pistols,my new adventure. Especially on steel plates.

I shoot a lot of steel as well. I really enjoy it and I am fortunate enough to have 25 yards at home which is perfect for rimfires as well as most pistol calibers. I try to shoot every day but sometimes I can only shoot 3-4 times a week. But I shoot at least 1K a week.

With my suppressor a wheelgun is out of the question. And honestly they have never really intersted me. I have owned a few but sold them pretty quickly.

I have had a S&W 22A and it was the worst gun I have ever owned. It would not make it through a mag without a problem. Treid every ammo I could find and finally sold it after a few months of fighting it. I even called S&W about warranty work and they said it was not a warranty issue but they would look at it as part of their 3 lifetime services.

Dolomite

Guest Lester Weevils

The CZ Kadet or a CZ75 or 85 with the Kadet slide is all-steel and shoots good. They supposedly have a pretty long lifetime.

All web references, including the CZ website, claim it is all steel. Mine looks all steel.

The barrel front is flush with the slide front. I googled and it looks like some people have threaded the barrel and use an extension adapter that has a female end to screw onto the recessed barrel and a male end to thread onto a silencer.

The barrel and front of the slide are locked down and don't move during firing. Only the small rear blowback slide part moves.

It would probably be about as heavy as the Kimber, however.

gsg1911 tactical? comes with a threaded barrel and a number of the parts are replaceable/upgradable with normal 1911 parts.

It comes with a fake can, which I don't understand the point of - but I have heard good things about the gsg1911.

ATGERG1911ADOP.JPG

Oh and if you do some research on the mosquito, I would never consider buying one. Too many stories of cracked slides because of the cheap metal used on them. At least your sig rep was honest enough to tell you how crummy quality they are. Even though they are branded by sig, sig sauer doesn't even manufacture them.

I'm not sure about the new M&P22 though. likely pot metal like the rest though

Best I can tell the slide is CNC'd pot metal. Given German Walther is making it. Fancy P22 Im betting, but really hope not. At high $300 range I'll look elsewhere.

Do they make a factory threaded buckmark? If not, then he is right back in the same situation with a pac lite that isn't threaded concentric.

I would prefer a barrel that is unthreaded over one that is threaded from the factory. The reason is I can have it threaded concentric to the bore to make sure it is 100% straight.

My issue with most guns I have been looking at is they are pot metal or even aluminum. Both of which will not last as long as steel.

I am slowly figuring out which guns have steel bolts/slides.

Dolomite

I've got a mosquito that I bought used a while back. Shoots fine, functions pretty much all the time. Finish isn't holding up all that well. The take down lever is a beast to flip. To me its on par with the wife's Walther P22.

Does it compare to my MK II and MK III Rugers?

Not even close, but its worth the $100 I paid for it.

Would it hold up to the kind of shooting Dolomite is talking about....I'd give it a month...maybe...

Oh and if you do some research on the mosquito, I would never consider buying one. Too many stories of cracked slides because of the cheap metal used on them. At least your sig rep was honest enough to tell you how crummy quality they are. Even though they are branded by sig, sig sauer doesn't even manufacture them.

Yeah I wish Sig would either build their own .22 or just stay out of the business.

Their 22 1911 is just a rebranded GSG. The Mosquito doesn't come close to a Ruger.

:D If you pay Sig prices you should get Sig quality.

I would prefer a barrel that is unthreaded over one that is threaded from the factory. The reason is I can have it threaded concentric to the bore to make sure it is 100% straight.

My issue with most guns I have been looking at is they are pot metal or even aluminum. Both of which will not last as long as steel.

I am slowly figuring out which guns have steel bolts/slides.

Dolomite

I have one of the factory threaded barrel Ruger 22/45's and have had zero issues with baffel strikes. A couple of other people I know that have them have had similar good luck. Plus you can pick one up for about $350 or so.