1895 Nagant Revolver

Guest Rem_Mosin1917

Guest Rem_Mosin1917

Anyone else have one? its fun to shoot but the ammo is so EXPENSIVE!!!! And with how much the ammo costs and how inaccurate it is i cant hardly afford to shoot it

021.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pfries

A friend of mine runs .32 S&W longs in his very regularly, it makes for a very tame gun, loads of fun to shoot. Now with the sealed chamber on it any plans for a can….:D a silenced revolver hmmmm :cool:

Guest Rem_Mosin1917

I was looking at the .32 S&W longs, but they are just a few $ cheaper then the 7.62 nagant. id rather spend a little bit more and get more "bang" for my buck. Nope, no thoughts of a suppressor for this one... maybe on another in the future

I recently bought one. Have yet to shoot it because I have yet to get the five pounds of cosmoline out of it.

I was thinking about getting the 32 cylinder so I can reload for it....dunno at this point.

As to suppressing it, a guy I know that works for AAC loves his suppressed Nagant. He brags that it's the only "hollywood correct" suppressed revolver.

I use .32 H&R mags in mine. The action is very strong, so you aren't going to break it. If you reload, the .32 mags are very cheap to shoot and pretty powerful. About as powerful as a .38 Special. As for accurate, there seem to be some that are less than precisely made. The one I have that was made in 1944 gets 5" groups at 10 yards. My 1932 Nagant gets 2" groups. The double-action pull is pretty long and heavy, but the single-action pull is not bad. The best trick to improving trigger pull is to open it up and thoroughly clean out the 70+ years of accumulated gunk.

Priv Partisan is $22 at Aim.

I've reloaded some with Priv/HotShot brass, but haven't worked out all the bugs yet. Cast 90gn .311 bullet, Unique, about 1000 fps. Also loaded some with Bullseye, some rounds keyholed. Lee dies work, sorta...had to use a bullet as a shim in the seating die to seat the bullet flush.

Cases must be annealed. I plan to try the dip in molten lead method. Also, this is weird, but I size, decapping pin removed, after seating the bullet, just enough to fit in the chamber, and crimp the bullet.

Case trimming is a problem with the Lee trimmer. If you don't trim, theyre too long for the cylinder. I'm either gonna fab up a guage, or get a better trimmer.

Reloading Nagant 7.62x38 is not for the faint of heart. But if you like a challenge...

I recently got one. I haven't shot it a whole lot but I do like it. I traded a Phoenix .25 plus a few bucks for it and mine came with the holster, lanyard, cleaning rod and screwdriver. So far, I have only shot .32 Long through it but I did pick up three boxes of the Hotshot brand 'right' ammo at the 127 Corridor Sale a couple of months back for $12 a piece - just haven't gotten around to trying them out, yet.

I will probably put a lot of .32 Long through it as time goes by. For me, it isn't so much the price difference between the .32 Long and Nagant ammo as it is the fact that I can pick up a box of .32 Long locally. I'm not crazy about ordering online, am not sure it would be worth it just for one box of ammo and don't foresee shooting it enough to justify keeping several boxes onhand when I have other (main) firearms for which I like/need to keep reserves. I could see picking up another box or two of Nagant ammo if I found it at a gun show for the right price. The only drawback I have heard about using .32 Long is that in some Nagant revolvers it can cause a pretty substantial lead build-up on the forcing cone.

Edited by JAB
Does anyone know of any shops in east tn that carry these? The other day I picked up a mosin 91/30 and now I would like to add to the nagant family

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I got mine at Farnsworth's in Vonore. I didn't notice any when I was in there this past weekend but I might have overlooked one. I don't recall ever noticing any local shop that stocked them 'regularly' - I think they are more infrequent items for most local shops. You might just call around and see who has one at what price.

I have often seen them at reasonable prices in Shotgun News, etc. as well. Of course, folks with a Curio and Relic license can apparently order them (and other such firearms) directly. Those of us who do not have the C&R license have to have them sent to an FFL to be transferred. By the time you pay a transfer fee, TICS, etc. the price comes out to be more or less the same as you would have paid for one in a local stop to begin with. If you really want one and can't find one locally, that might be the way to go. For me, the only drawback to going that route is that I prefer to hold/examine a firearm before I buy it - which is the reason I don't buy firearms online or from magazines, etc. Again, though, if you really want one and can't find one locally that might be the route to go.

Does anyone know of any shops in east tn that carry these? The other day I picked up a mosin 91/30 and now I would like to add to the nagant family

Check out Widener's.

I'>Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC assume you could have an FFL dealer order one from them for ya or if you have a CCL you can do it yourself.

I have toyed with the idea of getting one just to have...like magiccarpetrides said, they may get harder to find. Kinda the same reason I bought a mosin.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rem_Mosin1917

J Floyds Golf and Guns in Sevierville, and Rocky Top Armory in Seymour are the only 2 stores i know of around me that has them
The only drawback I have heard about using .32 Long is that in some Nagant revolvers it can cause a pretty substantial lead build-up on the forcing cone.

ANY lead bullets cause a substantial lead buildup that can cause severe problems. The Nagant revolver does not have a forcing cone at the cylinder end of the barrel. Instead, it has a recess where the case mouth seals the breech when the cylinder is locked up. When you are not using the factory 7.62 Nagant brass, the recess is not sealed by the case. Using the shorter .32S&W, .32H&R mag, or .32-20 brass with lead bullets allows lead to be shaved into this recess when the pistol is fired. eventually, enough lead can accumulate to cause constriction of the bore or failure of the cylinder to lockup.

I've been using jacketed bullets in .32H&R mag for some time now. I have yet to see any accumulation of copper in the barrel breech recess after well over 1000rds.